Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel tailgates

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel tailgates

Do you guys use a 5th wheel type tailgate? Is their a benefit to not running a tailgate? I know it'll keep everything in the box . But mileage or structural or otherwise? I'm not using my tailgate when I pull our 5th, leave it at home.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Best thing that I ever did. Well, twice. First one on my 96 and Husky aluminum on the 05. Haven't had to open the tail gate since I put it on. Load everything thru the "V". They keep everything in the bed just like a regular gate and not only that, I think that they look good.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:25 PM

I don't. Never really had a desire for one.

I just open the tailgate, hook up and close it again.
Pulling 10,000lbs 12'4" high, you are not going to save on fuel milage by having one on.
But it does have some advatages.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:56 PM

Best thing I have done since I got the 5th wheel (after the pullrite slider). I just about forgot to open my gate the second time I was unhooking. Luckily my wife caught me before I did any damage. Don’t have to worry about it anymore. I do wish I had spent more money and gotten a really good metal gate.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Chapter President

I just leave my tailgate off now....because I hook and unhook to different trailers sometimes 3 times a day

I do have a Fabric Air Gate when I need to contain items in my bed
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 PM

I have a aluminum Husky 5th wheel tailgate and love it. I figured at some point I would forget the stock one and tear it up so I replaced it before I did.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 AM

On my unit I'm unable to use the stock tailgate, being very new to this 5th thing. Still need all the help I can get
Old 06-24-2005, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by hilclmr
On my unit I'm unable to use the stock tailgate, being very new to this 5th thing. Still need all the help I can get
OK I'm real confused, Why can't you use the original tailgate

As far as 5th wheel tailgates, I do't see the use for them. They don't really improve fuel mileage and besides when I get to destination I like to unhook and close up the bed. With a 5th wheel tailgate I can't secure stuff i the bed. With a real tailgate I can lock the bed up.
Just my .01 worth
Old 06-24-2005, 10:30 AM

My Husky 5th wheel tailgate locks. There is a picture of it in my gallery.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Supergewl , my pin box will hit the tailgate if I leave it on. Probably going to get a mesh one for now, till the bank account bounces back a little.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:54 PM

I have towed with and without the stock tailgate and couldn't tell any difference in mileage. Trip with it was about 2500 miles and trip without was about 3300 miles. I did have the aluminum siding start to come apart on the 5er just forward of the bedroom window while towing without the gate. Makes me wonder if no gate lets more high speed air go between the truck and trailer and find all the small holes and push the siding out. A question I must find the answer to.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by hilclmr
Supergewl , my pin box will hit the tailgate if I leave it on. Probably going to get a mesh one for now, till the bank account bounces back a little.
I've got the same setup with the SuperGlide hitch and there is no way it will hit unless it was installed incorrectly.
I had the same worry when they installed mine. So what we did was have me turn the truck to a full 90 with the 5vr attached as they watched to ensure it would not hit. I was very suprised that it did not, but worked according to design. I wil admit that it looks like it's going to hit but then it pivots off to the side and doesn't even come close. I took a good look at it when at a full 90 and it was clear. The only thing you have to worry about is extreme angles, ie the truck and trailer are at different hightes and making extreme turns
Old 06-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
I've got the same setup with the SuperGlide hitch and there is no way it will hit unless it was installed incorrectly.
I had the same worry when they installed mine. So what we did was have me turn the truck to a full 90 with the 5vr attached as they watched to ensure it would not hit. I was very suprised that it did not, but worked according to design. I wil admit that it looks like it's going to hit but then it pivots off to the side and doesn't even come close. I took a good look at it when at a full 90 and it was clear. The only thing you have to worry about is extreme angles, ie the truck and trailer are at different hightes and making extreme turns
I have a short bed with a sliding hitch. Here is the problem. My RV has an extended pin box.
So, with the slider in the rear position, the pin box WILL hit the tailgate in a turn. With the tailgate open, the tailgate will hit the RV in a turn. Everything works fine with the slider in the forward position, and, I can turn pretty darn sharp in the forward position because of the extended pin box.

My solution was one of those web type tailgates. They cost about $20
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Yeah I forgot about that. For some reason I was thinking that you had a SuperGlide 5vr hitch.
I believe that even with a 5vr tailgate you will hit the tailgate with the slider in the slide position

Maybe someone with a slider can chime in here and give some insight

I guess that's another reason I got the SuperGlide hitch
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM

This is the reason I would like to have a 5er gate. When I have my tailgate on while towing my 5er, the wind buffets and lifts the nose of my trailer. I can feel it. I don't like my truck rear end getting that light while towing. I also don't like to see the nose bounce back and forth due to the air buffeting. Since I took my tailgate off I no longer get the light rearend feel or see the trailer nose move around. As far as the 5er gate. I would like it for when I do have items in my bed I don't have to worry about them rolling out the back of my bed.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel tailgates