Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th Wheel Camper w/ shortbed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Wheel Camper w/ shortbed

Will it be a problem or a pain to haul a 5th wheel camper w/ a shortbed? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM

You just get a sliding hitch. I've got one on my shortbed and never use it. Turn wide. Saves the tires on the 5'er too.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 PM

I've been towing my 5th wheel with my shortbed for two years now. Suggest a sliding hitch too. Some 5th wheel trailers by design are more prone to contact the trucks cab than others. How wide is the trailer, is the trailer's front rounded or squared off, how far back is the front of the trailer from the kingpin, etc.. Many people claim that they never need to slide their trailer back. Personally I like the Pullrite superglide hitch. I never need to worry about IF I it will make it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I pulled my 31' 5er for over 7 years with my '98 short bed and now nearly 1 1/2 years with my '06 short bed. I have a manual slider hitch and have used it perhaps 15 to 20 times total in all that time. You seldom really need it but when you do, it's worth any price. The automatic sliders are really nice but, to me at least, not worth the extra $.

Dan
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM

i have a slider. we use the same hitch with short bed on long bed trucks in my signature. the pin box extends past the front cap by two inches and the trailer measures 96 inches wide. if i would have known about the pullrite superglide i would have bought one. i've kissed my truck with the front of the trailer and it cost me 500 bucks but the back window did not break. i suggest taking trailer to open parking lot or deadend road and make some slow speed turns. have an assistant tell you when the trailer is about to contact the truck. count how many turns of the steering wheel you are from center and then you know how far you can go. some people claim they can make almost a 90 degree turn but i don't see how that can be. no matter how far your pinbox extends your trailer is at least 48 inches wide at a 90 degree turn and there isn't that much space between your hitch and the back of the cab unless you have a slider that slides back enough.....
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 PM

There is a new 14K Pullrite Superglide that is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the previous 16K model. 14K will be fin for all but the big trailers. And if you're spending THAT much on a trailer, then another couple hundred for the 18K ain't gonna matter much.

There is also a new pin box replacement from 5th Airborne that rides on a bearing. From what I've read, it's quieter than the Pullrite, but also moves your pivot point back behind the axle which sorta defeats some of the antisway characteristics of 5th wheel trailers.

My only complaint on the Pullrite is that it's kinda noisy over sharp bumps and in stop and go traffic. But there have been a few times that I was sure glad I didn't have to stop, get out, pull the slider, get in slide and lock and go and then repeat...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running a Husky slider in my current truck and ran a Husky in my previous truck too. They have held up well in the commercial world. I like the way they latch better than the Reese. If yo see a truck that has had 5th wheel dropped on the bed, look in the bed its almost always a Reese.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Just get the pullrite superglide.

You won't be sorry.

Strea
Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a quad cab short bed and a pullrite but not a slider, as long as I pay good attention to what is going on I can turn it really sharp without the slider.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have a short bed and a Husky Slider which I have used once just to see if it would work.I have not used it since.You have another option,check out the Fifth Airborne Sidewinder.You can get away without a slider hitch and you get a cushoned pin that will make for a smoother ride.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Those slider are HIGH DOLLAR, C'mon! I think I'm just gonna try to get away w/out the slider. What brand do ya'll think is the best bang for the buck 'cause I'm broke!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LFD2037
Those slider are HIGH DOLLAR, C'mon! I think I'm just gonna try to get away w/out the slider. What brand do ya'll think is the best bang for the buck 'cause I'm broke!!!!!!
You will not be a happy camper when you are staring at the edge of your fiver thru the broken glass of your rear window. Then you will be doing this

BeenThereDoneThatBob
Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Muted User

All depends on the 5er, I never used my slider, but might use it with the next 5er?? Who knows. I like the Titanium 5ers $$$, but they won't need a slider, and the nose looks like a bullet, so the mileage should be better pulling them too.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037
It also costs money to repair dented cabs and broken rear windows. I'm a member or a RV forum and every now and then someone posts a story about how they thought it would never happen to them. My father-n-law dented his shortbed cab three times! Famous last words, "I'll be careful and watch it closely".
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

i dented my cab and it cost me $500 deductible to fix the damage. the price of the slider over the reg. hitch is less than that...........please listen to the advice...been there done that...........

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Camper w/ shortbed