Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5er axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5er axles

If you've been around this site for any length of time you may recall my ongoing problem with uneven tire wear on my 5er. On the suggestion of a local well known brake shop, I let them replace the axles. They told me there was hardly any arc to the originals and they felt they were under rated for the rig. The OEM axles were 4800# and the replacements are 5600#. Time will tell if my problem has been corrected.

The same shop said they have recently replaced axles on 4 new or near new 5er's due to the same problems. That's pretty disheartening. Seems when you buy a new anything, you shouildn't have these kinds of problems. This has really soured my opinion on Keystone products.
My next Rv will be a different brand...for sure!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 AM

Did anyone put alignment equipment on it to identify the problem? or did they just replace everything hopeing to get the problem, then do the alignment?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 AM

Unless they actually weighed it I don't know how they would determine the axles were under rated. I have trailer axles aligned to solve tire wear problems in the past. Sounds like this shop might be putting their own interest ahead of the customer's. And unless the new axles are aligned properly, the tire wear problem will resurface. IMHO

That said, I think most manufacturers use axles that are just sufficiently rated to get by. Even my own trailer had standard axles that would have been at their limit had I not ordered the optional axles to give me an extra 4000 pound safety margin. Good luck

Casey
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Lest we forget

Axles

Buzz I had both of my axles replaced also on my Keystone Laredo. 30ft. two slides. Tires where feathering, you could see it and feel it, by rubbing your hand on them. Also I took a 6ft scale and held it against the side of one tire, and it missed the second tire by 3/4 of an inch. One axle was shorter than the other one. Opposite side was somewhat even. Drive trailer straight for a ways, then take a straight edge of some sort and hold it against the side wall of your tire and you'll see if they are in line or towed in or out. None of them are lined up right from the factory. Every RV I ever bought with two axles I've brought to a frame shop and had them line it up. They bend the axles in the middle to line the wheels up both ways. Believe me it works and you'll notice the difference towing. Keystone paid for my axle replacement, and it was done by a dealer in Grand Rapids, Mich.

waam Holland, Mich.