Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5 er hitch install on a '03

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 er hitch install on a '03

well i got my 5er hitch installed today--got the new kit that was approved by d/c and guess what--it required drilling --but it was approved by d/c thru my r.v. dealer --the guys at the shop were begging thier boss to buy them a 03 dodge/cummins when i left ;D
Old 12-06-2002, 10:13 PM

Re:5 er hitch install on a '03

You will never be able to get D-C to give their approval in writing for any particular hitch. Neither will you get their disapproval ao a major hitch manufacturer's hitch. Too much liability is involved.

The major hitch mounting systems now available, Reese Family and the Valley Industries Family. If there two bolts on each end of the hitch rails it is a Reese Family mounting. If there is a single bolt on each end of the hitch rails it is a Valley Family mounting.

Using Reese mounting are Reese, Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, and RBW.

Using Valley mounting are Valley Power Pull, Husky, etc.

Both of these are established companies with qualified engineers to design a safe hitch.

I have a Reese hitch but each is a good hitch, it is personal preference.

Check out these Links to read on this subject and see pics:
http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=5423
http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=7453

Casey, GM and Ford don't approve a 5er hitch. Why should you expect D-C to either. If you ask about a specific brand they will tell you an opinion but not recommend one in writing. The other manufactures would have just cause for legal action against D-C in that case.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:24 PM

Hidden Hitch 5er hitch is Manufactured by Reese. The question re e-mail would be did the person sending the e-mail have authority to authorize the Reese engineered hitch (aka Hidden Hitch) .<br><br><br>balvert said, &quot;And while I have all the faith in the world in the hitch manufacturers I don't have any in the hydroformed frame in the Ram truck. There just is no history with it and no other truck manufacturer has hydroforming in that section of the frame where the hitch installs.&quot; <br><br>You must recognize &quot;Sales Jargon&quot; of advertising agencies, ie., &quot;hydroformed frame&quot;. Trucks have had this type of frame for years, means nothing more than heat treated, tempered steel. The only thing new for 2003 Dodge is the box design for trucks. The box frame gives more rigidity than the &quot;C&quot; channel frame on previous models. In 1990 Dodge was using this type of steel on their truck frames. ;D
Old 12-10-2002, 10:53 AM

Let me clarify the hitch manufacturing situation, it is similar to the home appliance manufacturing business. Reese is a full-line hitch manufacturing company with research and development divisions which includes engineering. Many of the other brands have found it less expensive to buy Reese components. Hidden Hitch has chosen to buy the hitch rails, under-bed mounting hardware, and hitch heads. If you need information on mounting their fiver hitch, and phone for assistance you will be talking to Reese engineering. Valley Industries is another full-line hitch manufacturing company with research and development divisions which includes engineering. They sell their components to other hitch companies as well.<br><br>Most 5er hitches have cross the bed rails use the Reese rails with their frame mounting hardware or the Valley Industries rails and mounting hardware. A Reese hitch can be mounted on valley rails and the reverse is true since rail spacing is athe same. As you can see there is considerable standardization in the 5er hitch industry. <br><br>To tell the difference in mounting system look at the number of bolts holding the rails through the bed. Reese uses 4 bolts, 1/2 inch diam. on each rail (two on each end). Valley Industries uses 2 bolts, 5/8 inch diam. on each rail (one on each end).<br><br>As for appliances, we have a 25 cu ft Amana refrigerator, not made by Amana but Whirlpool. We have a Jenn-Air trash compactor made by Whirlpool. In our &quot;Granny flat&quot; there is a Kenmore range, made by Roper, but all electrical parts are GE range parts. Gets confusing at times.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:18 PM

does anyone have a phone number or address for Valley products of husky hitch production? My dealer says he dont ,I think he just wants me to go through him.thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 05:55 PM

Catskinner, I hope the following helps, visit the web site.<br><br>Manufacturing and Distribution:<br>1313 South Stockton, Lodi, CA 95240<br><br>Additional Distribution Centers:<br>2200 Southwest Blvd., Grove City, OH 43123<br>1210 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX 75247<br><br>Home Page of Site:<br>http://www.valleyindustries.com/<br><br>Fifth Wheel Page:<br>http://www.valleyorders.com/Public/C...EEL/INDEX.HTML<br><br>Contact Page send them a message, they reply by e-mail:<br>http://www.valleyindustries.com/contact.html