Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

4WD or 2WD for fifth wheel tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD or 2WD for fifth wheel tow

I want to retire in a year and spend a year or more on the road with a 5th wheel in tow to see the country. I figure to full time it in a fifth wheel trailer I would need a 30-32 footer and should plan on towing 12000-14000 trailer weight. My current rig ('93 D250) is not rated that high for GCWR and I am not really comfortable towing above the ratings due to liability issues. As my sole rig to drive when parked, I find it hard to deal with DWR in cities and parking lots and feel a DRW is not for me.
I do like the 2005/6 3500 Mega cab SRW. I figure a slider hitch is a given so that would not be an issue. What's the feeling on 4x4 vs 4x2? If I am towing do I need 4x4? Would I regret not having it? Having gotten stuck in a Ford 4x2 on a wet sloped driveway pulling a heavy cargo trailer I know the frustration of lack of traction, but then again, how useful will 4x4 be? I won't be in any snow country during winter. Any other advice?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM

I think a 4x4 is the way to go. I have gotten in camp grounds where I needed 4x4 to back the fiver up a slope to get it in place.I never thought I would need 4x4 but with wet grass the truck would just spin and 4x4 helped get the fiver in place. I installed a posilock cable to the front diff so I can have 4 low with the front diff not locked.This helps keep trans temps down and the truck can back up the fiver much easier. We are planning a trip accost Canada soon and will be 5 months on the road. I keep adding things improvements to my truck to make towing easier and less stressful.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have towed with my 2006 2 wheeler, 36ft 5th wheel with no problem at all, we live in it for 6 months every winter in AZ, love it. my trailer is around 12k to 13k loaded, I have a short box so have a slider hitch I would look at the long box as it may be more convenient, I have 113k on her now and have never needed 4x4. and probable 50k to 60k of that was towing, an exhaust brake is a bonus when towing, good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I think you need to consider where you will be spending a lot of your time. The choice of a 4x4 means some inconveniences. Harder to drive, sits higher making for more problems getting the fiver to the right height, more maintenance, more uncomfortable for the ladies or smaller people getting into the truck, a little less mileage. If you plan on going off road with it a lot and parking on a sandy spot by the lake, then go 4x4. I had a 2500 4x4 before getting the dually 3500 - - no comparison in the comfort between the two in ride and drive. I have taken a 16K fiver from Florida to Alaska (5 months in some very "interesting" camping areas), FL to Newfoundland (in some very interesting parking conditions), FL deep into Mexico, over to Baja and up to the Canadian border, then home (again in gorgeous sites on the beaches along Baja and other neat spots). I only wished I had 4x4 one time in Baja - - just backed up and gave it a little better run up the gravel hill. This setup has been all over the US and Canada and parked in just about any type of situation you might imagine.

I think you also need to consider single versus dually in making this decision - - I still have four driving tires on the ground with the dually. If I were changing trucks today, I would still pick the 3500 dually RWD. I drive it around town daily and love it. Just can't make it thru the drive thru at the bank. .........

Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you know your limits you are less likely to need 4x4 ,Me on the other hand I use it a lot ,My rig is 17,000 (trailer only) and there are so many times I get on a slight slop on wet grass and need 4wd to get parked if you stay on pavement your ok with 2wd as far mpg my friend and I both have 2001 s his is a 3500 drw 2x4 mine is a 2500 4x4 and his trailer is 11,000 lbs ,we travel together alot and its amazing that we both get 10-11 mpg ,I personally think once you hook a trailer over 10k to your truck that will be your average mpg anyways . my .02

ps if I was to buy a new rig it would be a drw 3500 4x4
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would just keep the 93, it will work fine.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Just re-read your post and you mention the possibility of reaching as much as 14K in weight, then say you want to remain within ratings. The normal rule of thumb is anything over 12K starts making you think 3500. You will exceed the weight carrying rating of a 2500 real quick with full fuel, a couple people, the dog, some tools etc ready to hit the road. Even my 3500 is real close to exceeding the GVWR when hooked up and loaded.

Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Don T
I think a 4x4 is the way to go. I have gotten in camp grounds where I needed 4x4 to back the fiver up a slope to get it in place.I never thought I would need 4x4 but with wet grass the truck would just spin and 4x4 helped get the fiver in place. I installed a posilock cable to the front diff so I can have 4 low with the front diff not locked.This helps keep trans temps down and the truck can back up the fiver much easier. We are planning a trip accost Canada soon and will be 5 months on the road. I keep adding things improvements to my truck to make towing easier and less stressful.
Agreed, backing up an incline has its prolems with a 4X4 you have the option of moving it up without much care...
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Really depend on if you are going boondocking off road or not, and what part of the country you live in. Live in the north, or get off road a lot. 4x4 is your awnser. Live in the south, and stay on the roads. 2 wd is all you need.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I wouldn't dream of pulling that length and weight over the road without dual rear wheels. Blow a single driver off the tractor at speed, and you likely won't have any further need for either trailer or truck.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM

There have been a couple of times that I was thankful for the 4x4. Wet grass, and on this current trip, backing up-hill on gravel. Last night I was throwing gravel, with all 6 tires. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The height can be an issue, and at times, won't allow for leveling without disconnecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

4x4 and don't look back. I had an 07 2x4 and hated it. You can see my set up in my sig, sounds similar to you.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Amen to what FiverBob says. The big question is how much off road you do.
I live 3 miles off the paved road. My 02 has limited slip with AT tires and can navigate mud, creek crossings, etc. It also rides WAY better, another big plus. Knowing your limitations is important, but good AT's will get you through most situations.
Also, unless you have physical problems, parking the dually truck further away is not a big deal. Dually is really the way to go with a big Fiver. MUCH more stable. I think manual gives you more control too. 05-07 are the last of the 5.9's, I would get one of those. Also, these 3500's are rted for the weight.
Good Luck!!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM

You are going to be restricted on where you can park with 2wd and will have to plan ahead a bit more. I pull a toy hauler a couple times a year and my truck goes into 4lo when I get off the pavement. I take it places a 2wd truck can't get unloaded (not meant to brag). My planning is limited to putting it in 4lo and sending someone ahead on an ATV to find a trail to a spot .

I'd personally get a 3500 SRW quad cab long bed 2wd. They are in the neighborhood of your weight requirements and parking requirements. 2wd is lighter and has higher tow ratings too. If needed you can get a tool box in the bed to make up for the lost storage of not having a megacab.

One thing is though... if you plan to ever get off the beaten path you'll definately need 4x4 and probably a decent set of properly rated tires. Also you can drop the rear of the 4x4 a bit pretty easily if needed.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 4x4 will be easier to sell when you're done with it and ready to move on. Hear a lot of stories about guys that bought 2wd because they're cheaper but then have a difficult time unloading them.

Quick Reply: 4WD or 2WD for fifth wheel tow