Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2nd Gen. Mopar tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanos,
Probably a dumb question, but in your post about the 3rd. gen mirrors having five wires, two of them being black and used for the heated option. What did you ground the other wire too. Was it just to the inside of the door close to the plug in or does it really matter where it's grounded.
My truck has the power heated mirrors so I have that going for me anyway. I am in the process of ordering both sets of mirrors and will be starting on my project when they show up.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:52 PM

Howdy,I am starting to convert the 02 mirrors to the 04.What do yuo guys use to pry the teeth out and do you keep going around and around until the spring pops out.Thanks for any info.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Banned

why convert to power? if I had flip outs, they'd always be flipped out!! they look so sweet standing tall!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by d0dg301
Mechanos,
Probably a dumb question, but in your post about the 3rd. gen mirrors having five wires, two of them being black and used for the heated option. What did you ground the other wire too. Was it just to the inside of the door close to the plug in or does it really matter where it's grounded.
My truck has the power heated mirrors so I have that going for me anyway. I am in the process of ordering both sets of mirrors and will be starting on my project when they show up.
2 black wires go to the heater element... actually one of them is a ground, and the other is a power to the heating element. That leaves 3 wires.... one is the is the mirror up driver, one is the mirror left driver and one is the mirror common driver (right/down). These three wires go to the joystick control ****.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by popeyesides
Howdy,I am starting to convert the 02 mirrors to the 04.What do yuo guys use to pry the teeth out and do you keep going around and around until the spring pops out.Thanks for any info.
I used some bent nose needle-nose pliers to get started and a flat blade screwdriver. I would actually bend the teeth back a little, one at a time and work my way around the retainer. On the second or last one, the retainer would release. I've only done 4 of them and haven't figured out a good, safe way of doing this. The 1st shot out like a rocket, the 2nd one just kinda popped a couple feet up in the air, 3rd launched out and wacked me on the knuckle... took about a minute for the feeling to come back into my finger... and the 4th one flew out and dang near took my head off. I was leaning back (DO NOT HOVER OVER THE RETAINER) but it still just barely brushed my forehead. They are big springs under a lot of tension and when they come apart..... they come apart!!

I then reset the teeth on the retainer to the proper angle with a punch prior to reassembling the mirror/base.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
why convert to power? if I had flip outs, they'd always be flipped out!! they look so sweet standing tall!
Because when they're flipped out.... they are way out there. You'd have to get out and walk over to the drive up window and the burger joints.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:50 AM

With a dually they should always be flipped out. The old rule with the big truck is if the mirror clears, the rest will. Keeps the fenders from getting trashed.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mechanos
Because when they're flipped out.... they are way out there. You'd have to get out and walk over to the drive up window and the burger joints.
don't they pull in?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
don't they pull in?
Yes.... and they also fold down.

Originally posted by Haulin'_in_Dixie
With a dually they should always be flipped out. The old rule with the big truck is if the mirror clears, the rest will. Keeps the fenders from getting trashed.
That makes perfect sense..... but mines not a dually and the mirrors are actually a nuisance when flipped up without my GN in tow.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:29 PM

Mechanos,thanks for the info,I did all four retainers (Remove) in about 30 min.I could not tell anybody an easy way to do it exept stay out of the way!!Mirrors work great .Definately worth the money and hassle...Popeye
Old 11-13-2004, 03:13 PM

here are the connector pin-outs for the 3rd. gen. tow mirrors

POWER MIRROR LEFT
1-heated mirror relay output
2-left mirror common driver (right/down)
3-left mirror left driver
4-left mirror up driver
5-ground
POWER MIRROR RIGHT
1-heated mirror relay output
2-left mirror common driver (right/down
3-right mirror left driver
4-right mirror up driver
5-ground
Old 11-14-2004, 08:03 AM

well i finished my swap last night.it went fairly easy.
thanks to everyone for thier answers to my questions.if someone would like a set of manual tow mirrors for the 3rd gen.trucks,i listed mine in the classifieds.

thanks again,
mike
Old 11-14-2004, 04:04 PM

pin connectors for 2nd & 3rd gen tow mirrors

I posted a pic in my photo gallery of the pin connectors for the 2nd and 3rd gen. tow mirrors. This should take the guess work out of the wiring of the plug ins.
I've got both sets of mirrors on order and I'm going to the dealer to see if I can order another factory plug for the 2nd gen. mirror so I won't have to cut the one off of my stock mirrors.