TNDTR #34 Forum for the Tennessee chapter #34

Tennesse DTR Third Annual Smoke Em' If you Got Em Bash!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tennesse DTR Third Annual Smoke Em' If you Got Em Bash!!

This has no official date yet, kinda looking for your opinion. First off any help in planning/organizing would be appreciated. Especially if you can hook us up with some kind of food where we can pay like $5-10 a head. I'll call the vendor I was trying to get last year over in Chapel Hill. Other than that I have very limited time due to a business, school three nights a week and a business......so basically this is about the date. Mid march is out, to close to vacation, easter times.

So, dyno day?? When you guys thinking would be good to do this? In March we always....or I always seem to run across the "my kids are off from school and going on vacation" thing. Do we move it up to say February? Or back it off to April?

As far as setting up any type of food, venders and such I think I'll probably not have a whole lot of time to do this. Running this business and getting a bit busy....thank goodness...and hopefully be much more busy in January.

We'll do it over at Smryna again, maybe by then I might dyno my rig......hopefully it's 9500lb girth don't crush the dyno!!

I'll get ahold of that place over in Chapel Hill again about a vendor. They seemed willing last year but the timing was bad. They sponsor a Easter thing for kids I believe and were committed to that last year, very good thing. So maybe February would be better?

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:40 PM

Doesn't matter to me. Whenever you want to make it is fine with me Shawn. As far as food goes if you wanted to we could jus order pizza like some of us did last year. Jus throwin that out there.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Last year was great. I guess I was the only one on the dyno with a powerstroke last year. I will be there again, same truck with a cummins this year.

Just a thought if Smryna is tied up. Beans diesel has a dyno now. I am sure he would be up for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Pizza is good for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

I am pretty open, will be out of town april 17-19. other than that I would be good. I am hoping to have the 4 door truck with twins ready (maybe it's just a dream) but I am going for it.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Chapter President

Well if you need some tube welded up......I have access to a tig machine now. Used to like mig.....now mig is a turd in light of the tig welding.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
mig is a turd in light of the tig welding.
I completely understand. I cut my teeth on a gas torch, and TIG just came natural If only I had the dough for a nice water cooled TIG
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Chapter President

We were talking about the tig tonight cause we had a power cord pop and it started leaking water all over in my booth.

My teacher said a dry rig was the way to go cause you could get out there about 150 feet and not have to worry about foot pedals or thumb controls, just light her up and go. Probably gonna look into the equipment to outfit my rig with a tig next year so I can do mobile tig as well. That's just great, another tank of gas to put on the truck....... If your gonna be doing a bunch of stuff over 200 amps then yeah I could justify a water cooled machine.

In my opinion the cooled ones fall under the same class as a mig cable. Sometimes just a bit to delicate to have dragging the ground on a jobsite.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM

So what does a good air cooled TIG cost? Something I could learn to weld Aluminum with.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Chapter President

I'd have to check but they've got some compact ones I've been looking at that only weigh about 40lb +/- and others are lighter than that. One I saw by miller I think was a 150 or 200 amp that weighed 13.7 pounds!! Think it actually had a shoulder strap!!

I checked on one miller, but it was strictly a shop model and weighed in over 100lbs, maybe 150 or better and it was priced out to me at $2200 I think. About the same as a 212(?) Miller Mig welder, except you don't have to buy the spool gun to run aluminum and so on.

Tig-
straight dc tig/ stick welder
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p003768.htm

Tig-
ac/dc tig/stick welder 33lbs

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p003448.htm

I think this one is a 200 amp machine, after 200 amps you'll want coolant according to what I've learned.

big shop model-
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001850.htm

perhaps you prefer blue,

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000072.htm
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001494.htm

hope that gives you an idea. I prefer the red team myself, but both good machines.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Chapter President

I made a few phone calls the other day, first to the dyno in Smyrna and second to a vendor. Have not heard back from either but I know it's hard to get ahold of Chris over at the Performance Garage. I think the vendor was interested, especially when they asked what the "setup fee" was for vendors. I said the what?? What I charge for them to come out and show their products.....my reply was, if you show up that's good enough for me!

I'm trying to get it setup for February 28th if vendor and dyno are online with that date. Might be cold but we can hope for a decent day. I'm trying to avoid the Easter holiday, school breaks and things of that nature.

I'm gonna call today and find out for sure from both if it's a go. If so I'll start a new sign-up for dyno day thread that way we can keep track of who is gonna be there.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

Sounds good to me Shawn. Hopefully these days of 20* highs will be long gone by then. LOL
Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Chapter President

Well, two more weeks. I talked with a guy today that is a vendor and he will be there on the 28th to chat about programmers and so on. He's said he can get most anything you may need. Now the question is will anybody have any money?? So far....not me!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
KVD

I know I ant been on here in a awhile but I'll be there to run

I'm I gonna be tha only dmax???
Old 02-16-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by KVD
I'm I gonna be tha only dmax???

Maybe not, I'll get back with you guys on this....

Quick Reply: Tennesse DTR Third Annual Smoke Em' If you Got Em Bash!!