Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Thread "read" marks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread "read" marks

Does the current forum software not mark each thread as read when you read it? I can't keep track sometimes of which ones I've read... The "Mark all..." option is cool when I know I'm done though, the way it shoots me back out to the forum list.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:56 AM

So I guess it's just badly designed, not misconfigured, then, since threads aren't marked as read except as a group?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
When I read this thread's last "new" post, I went back the forum index, clicked on "refresh" on my browser, and the icon for this thread changed from "unread" to "read"

Ed
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 AM

That's a pain in the butt. Clicking on the forum name link at the top or bottom should automatically refresh, shouldn't it? I know it used to on the previous software?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by jfpointer
So I guess it's just badly designed, not misconfigured, then, since threads aren't marked as read except as a group?
I guess you could argue the badly designed aspect of it. The last software we used did that, but was much slower, had more queries, less capacity etc then this software.

In laymens terms, the server was at 150% of its capacity with the other software, now it's less then 50, just by a software change. This site is MUCH faster then it used to be. I would call that anything but badly designed. Are there some differences? Yes, but if you were in my shoes you would have done the same thing.

This change has also allowed us to change both the photo galleries and the classifieds sections to something MUCH better, and only using one login to do it all, vs 3 seperate logins. So at the end of the day, you tell me which one is better.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I guess you could argue the badly designed aspect of it. The last software we used did that, but was much slower, had more queries, less capacity etc then this software.

In laymens terms, the server was at 150% of its capacity with the other software, now it's less then 50, just by a software change. This site is MUCH faster then it used to be. I would call that anything but badly designed. Are there some differences? Yes, but if you were in my shoes you would have done the same thing.

This change has also allowed us to change both the photo galleries and the classifieds sections to something MUCH better, and only using one login to do it all, vs 3 seperate logins. So at the end of the day, you tell me which one is better.
Just trying to see if anyone's paying attention... It's an annoying little problem, that's all.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
When I read this thread's last "new" post, I went back the forum index, clicked on "refresh" on my browser, and the icon for this thread changed from "unread" to "read"
Ed
What browser? I just tried that in IE6 and Firefox .8 and it didn't work like that in either of them. Still marked as unread, still shows the little arrow that indicates new unread posts.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine works the same as yours, JF. Sorry but there isn't anything I can do about it at the moment. You may not think so, but it's actually a bit complicated to get it to work that way. One of the reasons why I don't want to do it is because it increases the load on resources. Until I have enough money for a new server, we're kind of stuck.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:53 AM

That makes sense. I'll just try to be methodical...

Completely off the original topic: What kind of hardware is it running on now?