Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

site still does not work properly.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
site still does not work properly.

for the last three weeks, maybe a month- i have had nothing but problems with this site. i tried to scroll down the page-nothing- i have to do it numerous times! then, when it works-it scrolls way down past where i want to be! then i need to scroll back up! trying to search, another big problem! click on search-nothing! takes about three clicks before the search box will open! half the time now, when i search-it comes up nothing! i get the page to where i have to pick which forum i want to search in! never had this problems over the years-just in the last three weeks! by the way, it is not my computer!! it is just this site!!! problems seemed to crop up after the last time this site went down for maintenace. i also see that other members are experiencing problems too! it has nothing to do either, with how many members are on the site either, it could be 4am, 6pm or 11am- problem is always there-now!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What have you done to investigate this issue?
Have you cleared your browsers cache and cookies?
Have you tried to access this site from someone else's computer with your login?
If so, does it happen on their computer as well?

Just a few ideas to try.

Rich
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
There has been an issue with the search engine as you are already aware, but the rest of that sounds like a browser issue. Clear out your cache and close the browser before logging back on again.

You will be amazed how many issues this can solve for you. Also if you are using Internet Explorer, download free Firefox and try it. You will likely never use IE again.

I had a lot of the types of issues you are describing and they went away when I quit using IE.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't experienced any of those issues except for the search. The search has been fixed and I haven't received any further complaints about it. Everything I have searched for has come up without issue now, so I would clear your cache, clear your cookies, restart your browser and try again. I can't help you with scrolling problems. Once a page is up, it's up and after we stop sending you data, I can't do anything about it after that. I haven't experienced that issue either, with IE or Firefox. If you're using IE, try Firefox. If you're using firefox, try IE. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you because I cannot reproduce the problem you're speaking of other than search.

You can sit here and tell me all day long that it's not your computer, but it sounds exactly that to me, where everything is coming up slow. Again, try a different browser and see what happens. In addition, I need more information from you such as the type of connection you're using, the browser you're using and the version. I can't really help you if you don't give me that information.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
DTR Founder

Hmm, seems the theme here is the same in terms of troubleshooting ideas. Give them a try and let us know what happens. As you can see, you have three responses within minutes. We're willing to help, but more info would be a good start.

IF you're using IE, and you're using IE 7, it traditionally has problems with sites that use Zlib compression and certain types of caching. We cache templates, datastore, php scripts and use Zlib compression to decrease bandwidth usage. We have to do those things in order to keep the site running effeciently.

PS - I need to know the search terms you were using where you received no results. If you can remember them exactly, that would help.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My computer woking just fine.

Site is working fine for me. I have an older toshiba satellite, No problems, 1gig cpu, 512 meg memory.running window XP pro, and the latest MS IE.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having similair issues, and have attributed it to the google ads.

They are slow loading here at work, and while they are in mid-load, you can't click or scroll.
(if they fail completely, the site works fine, it's just that state while they are trying to load)

If you click or scroll while they are trying to load, you end up with multiple clicks, or clicking somewhere you don't want to because the page was trying to scroll at the time.

I have solved this by waiting to click or scroll, simple is as simple does.

phox
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
DTR Founder

Google ads are slow for me on IE, but work lightning fast for me in Firefox.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Maybe the server is having problems with all the exclamation marks.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
DTR Founder

The server doesn't like being yelled at.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 AM

I have the same issue at work the phox does when it finally catches up it scrolls down to the bottom. I just have learned to wait. Don't have any issues at home though.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Mine is still running good, downloaded foxfire, don't see much difference in speed. One thing that help everything work better is when I uninstalled Norton.
That made a big difference, mostly in aol mail. Hope this might help some others that are having problems.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dssimecek
Mine is still running good, downloaded foxfire, don't see much difference in speed. One thing that help everything work better is when I uninstalled Norton.
That made a big difference, mostly in aol mail. Hope this might help some others that are having problems.
Norton is a system hog.

Check out Trend Micro (since you don't have antivirus now! ).
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Norton is a system hog.

Check out Trend Micro (since you don't have antivirus now! ).
x2! trend is great. i hated norton.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the tip on trend mico. I am running Window Defender, (free)
AVG, the free one and lava soft free ad-aware. Recommended by the computer repair hospital that cleaned up all the malware, spywary and other junkware from the computer.
It is running good now.

Quick Reply: site still does not work properly.