Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Noticed something today in the 1st gen section...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Ohhh it tried to trick me....I have a self imposed ban on those social networking sites, can't stand them....and it wanted me to sign up to see the page. Guess you won't see me there....
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
I wanted to have the first post but i guess i have to settle for 2nd lol
AWWW WAAA

cry.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i still beat you
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have a self imposed ban on those social networking sites, can't stand them....and it wanted me to sign up to see the page. Guess you won't see me there....
Same here! You will NEVER find me on facebook, twiter, or similar pages.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Sweet!! I'm likin' it!! I'm sure you guys will find me there haha.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont like it at all takes longer for the page to load when i open a post. plus i think facebook is useless. I don't want anyone to know what im doing or what i like let alone everyone on the web!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Tacomaman...What are you doing right now...LOL
Me too Never find my white butt on there, besides the pictures that my family puts up! If I want to know how someone is feeling or what they are doing my phone is a useful tool!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor
Same here! You will NEVER find me on facebook, twiter, or similar pages.
Me either. Big waste of time!!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Is there any way to disable it or change the color of the RED box or eliminating the box all together?

It is really distracting when you are trying to read the post.

Try concentrating on the text and see that your eyes don’t keep going to the red box.

It should be along the bottom left with the rest of the buttons.

It looks like an advertisement or pop-up, at least get rid of the box.

You won't find me on facebook, twitter either, I am in the witness protection program.

Jim

BTW
We just had out monthly meeting with our local Sheriff and they said the criminals are using facebook and twitter to look for people posting they are on vacations while they are cleaning out their homes of everything they own, surprise when they get back.

Wow and here it is.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...al-on-facebook
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
BTW
We just had out monthly meeting with our local Sheriff and they said the criminals are using facebook and twitter to look for people posting they are on vacations while they are cleaning out their homes of everything they own, surprise when they get back.

Wow and here it is.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...al-on-facebook
They were talking about that on the radio this morning what not to write on FB. Saying you are going on vacation is one of them. Open invitation, because using your name and birthdate, people can find out all sorts of stuff about you. It's a scary world we live in these days, maybe more so if you're like Jim in the WPP.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Honestly, I can't see any benefit to our site to have such foolishness bombarding us on every thread.

Why on earth should a diesel truck discussion site need to be connected to anything that has nothing whatsoever to do with what we discuss ??

The entire internet "web" is fast going down the drain.

Companies used to have useful sites about their products, specifications, and cross-references; now, the first thing they want is for one to "register", ;and, then, they ask the make/model of the vehicle and won't show you anything else = USELESS.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe an EBAY link will be next !
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
The more people you can get to a website which sells a product the more potential money you can make. Facebook and Twitter are huge names for a reason other than creeping on your friends.
Nearly every good internet marketer uses these forms of communication online to bring in more potential customers. Frankly, I'm surprised DTR hadn't done this earlier, because as annoying as facebook may be, it serves a purpose in bringing more people with money to spend into DTR. Which is good for all of you because if this site didn't make money it would slowly go out of business. Whenever you fill out a form that asks for your email, that email is instantly harvested into a massive list that companies can use for advertising. There are companies out there that only harvest emails for specific genres of buyers and sell these lists to the highest bidders.
One thing I would suggest to DTR is perhaps offering a mirrored website that loyal users can use that doesn't have all the advertisements. I believe CF does this for people who purchase a membership. Which is brilliant by the way...keep the people who don't want advertisements by making them pay!

Oh on a side not if you don't want strangers checking out your info on "Facecrack "you can set your privacy settings so that only selected friends can see your news feed. This wont stop a hacker, but if you a hacker is your problem you should worry about things other than having your house broken into on a vacation.

The Web is a massive tool for making lots of money by selling information and products, if you don't like it and you want to keep it old school, put down your mouse and go read a book....which in most cases you will have to pay to read anyways.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Honestly, I can't see any benefit to our site to have such foolishness bombarding us on every thread.

Why on earth should a diesel truck discussion site need to be connected to anything that has nothing whatsoever to do with what we discuss ??
Actually it has everything to do with what we discuss...Some people like to be able to communicate quickly via Facebook and they can receive notices on their phones when their friends post that they like a topic. They can view it then and not have to wait until they get home later.

Not my particular cup of tea but that doesn't mean it isn't important for those that do like the instant info thing. Also it helps us pay the bills so we can keep the forum FREE for even those people that just want to whine about every little thing that comes along

Originally Posted by BearKiller
The entire internet "web" is fast going down the drain.

Companies used to have useful sites about their products, specifications, and cross-references; now, the first thing they want is for one to "register", ;and, then, they ask the make/model of the vehicle and won't show you anything else = USELESS.
Yep just like I stated earlier give you guys something for FREE and you want your money back
Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think i would like it more if it wasn't at the top of the page.. it may be more aesthetically pleasing near the reply text box?

Quick Reply: Noticed something today in the 1st gen section...