1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Coupler protector

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Steering Coupler protector

We all know Chrysler was retarded, right ?

I decided that the unending blast of water into my new steering coupler was enough, so I made up a new steering coupler protector for my 92

I took the original, bought a $12 big rig mud flap (smooth texture) and made up my own steering coupler protector. Not difficult to do, as about an hour to 2 hours is all you need.

First I took a mudflap, and cut it in half. After figuring out where I wanted it to end, I free-cut the 1/2 of the flap into the shape you see below. Your mileage may vary, as I have the RR steering gear setup.

Name:  DSC01763.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  218.0 KB

This is what the steering gear joint looked like before, as it was getting blasted every time I drove in the rain....

Name:  DSC01764.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  200.9 KB

After a few modifications, and an extra piece was added to the rear, as the original length of the mudflap wasn't quite long enough, this is how it turned out. The one side is located in the same place the OE rubber one was, and the other long side is screwed in place as you see it.

No more blasting my steering gear U-joint.... but it would look pretty much the same if you were protecting your OE crapola coupler. Self tapping #12 screws with some super thick washers did the trick. I put never-sieze on the screws. and eventually painted them black so you wouldn't see them while I was screaming past in my soot maker.

Name:  DSC01765.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  168.0 KB

Have fun!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What steering gear box do you have on there!!!
Dave
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work T. I went out and looked and my shield thing is missing there too, Closer inspection revealed the little U-joint in my steering shaft joint (borgeson) is coated in dirt stuck on the grease, and even closer inspection revealed the U-joint has play in it. Guess I'll call Borgeson tomorrow and see if i can get a replacement joint.

Definetly gonna have to do this "mod"
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1993 250bluebal
What steering gear box do you have on there!!!
Dave
Dave,

"Dave's not here, Man ! "

I did a retrofit in my truck listed here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2-t301769.html

I'd say look in the sticky for it, but I guess it's not worthy.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Nice work T. I went out and looked and my shield thing is missing there too, Closer inspection revealed the little U-joint in my steering shaft joint (borgeson) is coated in dirt stuck on the grease, and even closer inspection revealed the U-joint has play in it. Guess I'll call Borgeson tomorrow and see if i can get a replacement joint.

Definetly gonna have to do this "mod"
I spent all that money making my steering right, and since Chrysler never devised a "wrap around" protector, I made my own.

Really dumb how they put the coupler out in the open like that. Its going to be raining here all week, and I can't imagine that my U-joint wouldn't be filled with water by the end of the first 5 minutes of driving.

No more...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definately a worth while addition NJTman. A water deflector most definately should have been a factory part in that area.
I rebuilt the factory coupler in our 91 a couple weeks ago. When I pulled out the original slip joint parts, they were bathed in a mix of rain water and contaminated grease. Can't believe it lasted all the years it was on the road (made for A LOT of steering wheel slop). I must say though, the rebuild of the crappy factory coupler took out almost all play from the steering. In my case, the front end and gear box are nice and tight after 280k miles still and the slop was right there in that little coupler. Feels almost like a new truck after installing the $8.00 Dorman rebuild kit. Now I need to get that water deflector in place...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by NJTman
I took the original, bought a $12 big rig mud flap (smooth texture) and made up my own steering coupler protector.
Sorry to be a noodge, but where did you find that mudflap and do you have a brand name?

The material used to make the OEM deflector is the same stuff used to cover the gap between the fan shroud and the radiator. I need a new one and Mopar no longer has any available. No one I asked (my local Dodge dealer, a local Chevy dealer, a local body shop, etc.) could tell me what this fibrous material is called nor where I can source a large piece (or a whole roll). A Google search turned up nothing either.

TIA.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by james1
Sorry to be a noodge, but where did you find that mudflap and do you have a brand name?

TTIA.
No problemo, senior noogio.....

Part # 823-5075 Balkamp Napa product

$14.49 + tax..... I lied about the cost... so shoot me ....

You could easily make the "flap" for the shroud out of that material, and it will hold up well, I'm sure. Make a bunch of them with your razor knife, and sell them to your fellow dodge enthusiasts that need one too.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

No problemo, senior noogio.....

Part # 823-5075 Balkamp Napa product

$14.49 + tax..... I lied about the cost... so shoot me ....

You could easily make the "flap" for the shroud out of that material, and it will hold up well, I'm sure. Make a bunch of them with your razor knife, and sell them to your fellow dodge enthusiasts that need one too.
Hombre, you are a mensch; thank you for your kind assistance. (You're from New Jersey; you've surely heard a little Yiddish.)

Cheers, and thanks again.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by james1
Hombre, you are a mensch; thank you for your kind assistance. (You're from New Jersey; you've surely heard a little Yiddish.)

Cheers, and thanks again.
Yes I have, and right back at ya !

Truth be known, I'm really a Alter Kocker

it's in my genetics

Azoy?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Red face

I'd say look in the sticky for it, but I guess it's not worthy.
Oops!

Both Stuckied.

Keep up the good work folks.