Site News News and updates about the site.

Valid Email Addresses!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 08:17 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Valid Email Addresses!

Folks,

There are some of you who've registered a long time ago because you apparently don't want to get mail from us. Unfortunately what happens is that our mailboxes get overwhelmed with return emails. It is also against the site rules to register on the site with an invalid email address.

Two things:

1. If you have registered and you know your email address is invalid, change it.

2. If you use a spam filtering service that sends us email and asks us to prove who we say we are, change it.

If not, then I will remove you as a user.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much mail are we supposed to get? I don't recall getting any from DTR, unless I deleted an ad. My addresses are valid, but now I am worried my AV program isn't letting me get messages?? Am I an offender and don't even know it???
Old 08-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We get an ENOURMOUS amount of returned email from people who have checked the box to be notified when some one posts in a thread they are watching.

If you have checked this option, and are not receiving the email notifications, you can bet Jack and I are

It makes it very difficult for us to do business, as we have to weed thru hundreds of emails on a weekly basis. Many of them are addressed to places that do not exist, mail boxes that are full or spam protected accounts that think DTR email is spam.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, if I understand correctly, as long as I get notification e-mails of posts, I'm all set?

Thanks
Dennis

p.s. I don't envy you in your job.. anything we can do to help, we will most certainly do
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

I think you are ok Dennis I am sending PM's to those folks I see on a regular basis asking them to update their email address.

Sometimes they ignore me, so those people I will place on mute...Maybe if they can't post they will take the time to email me and I can explain why and they can fix their email address
Old 08-20-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whew! I don't think I have checked any of those boxes. Paranoid over nuthin!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The other things you should check are your anti-spam measures. Also, if you're using an email account where you set auto-reply while you're away on vacation, we get slammed with those too. In the future, we're just going to start deleting accounts. We don't want to do that, but it's the only way to cut down on the junk.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 PM

I've noticed that lately I have been getting e-mail confirmations for photo-downloads or PMs that go directly to my spam file. I'll have to see why it is doing this.....
Old 09-08-2004, 03:52 PM

I hope I'm not one of the offenders, If so I can't fix it for another 3 weeks when I get home to my computer. But I know most filter, anti-spyware programs, etc have an option were you can enter exceptions that will always be allowed. When I get home I will set my up that way for DTR if it isn't already. Jack, if I am offender I apologize and will fix it when I get home in October.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

I have been placing individuals on Mute status when I can't contact them by PM or obviously email (invalid address) to get their attention.

If you find yourself on mute status, email me at the webmaster address, I will be happy to help you change your address to something valid, and return you to regular status.

I am not doing this to be mean to anyone, I use it as a last resort to try and curb some of the emails we have to sift through.