1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Completely plug and play LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Our 1st gens have the same headlamps. I could not align my led lights on my plow because , as you say, they do not point. They just shed light in all directions.

Looking forwards to more reviews, and improvements in technology, as leds are really awesome, and the wave of the future.
They are the wave of the future true. I think they could be engineered to be a bit easier on the eyes however. I have an LED bulb in a table lamp which came from IKEA IIRC. It has been engineered to put out slightly amber light just like the Incandescent bulbs. I like it a lot.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
So far guys I cant find one negative comment to share about the Truck lite version I put in my two rigs. The two other trucks I put the Grote versions into I haven't driven yet so I cant say yea or nah. But I have tried them sitting in the yard and they look good. A different look with the circles at the bottom. I do like the look of the truck lite ones. I still want to try a JW Speaker version (black). I wouldn't spend the extra coin on the heated version. Especially if Thrub hasn't had much of an issue with freezing over in central Saskatchewan.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Got me thinking of getting a set for the Gauntlet RC after all the work I put into it.
All the reviews I read on the Truck lite versions are happy customers.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
They are the wave of the future true. I think they could be engineered to be a bit easier on the eyes however. I have an LED bulb in a table lamp which came from IKEA IIRC. It has been engineered to put out slightly amber light just like the Incandescent bulbs. I like it a lot.
I've installed all leds in every fixture at my home. The Phillips company makes the nice hue you speak of. 22.5 year lifespan, "supposedly". Either way, they use hardly any energy, so my wife leaving all the lights on,doesn't freak me out the way it used to.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
NJT I am right there with you. I went 100% LED in my home about two years ago. My wife also loves to leave the lights on
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Me too!...Mark
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by freight train
NJT I am right there with you. I went 100% LED in my home about two years ago. My wife also loves to leave the lights on
I like to leave the lights on myself. We have almost all CFL lights which we replace with the LED's as the CFL's wear out. The CFL's tend to wear out much faster than their advertised life. Going from 25 watt CFL's to 7 watt LED's is really easy on the pocketbook. We also have solar panels which makes our monthly bill almost zero unless I run the plasma cutter like this week. That thing makes the meter really spin.

The Phillips LED bulbs are IR LED's that project onto a phosphorescent screen which glows white. That's the better kind. the headlights and other blue tinged LED's are blue which hit another kind of phosphor that gives yellow light and the two colors mix to get an approximate white. I used to work on Color TV's and I know that red+green gives yellow add blue to get white. This gives RGB which are the three color sensitivities of the human eye.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know about other people but I am sensitive to blue lights at night. It seems like my eyes can't focus the blue as well as the reds and greens. Bright blue letters of neon signs just blots out the rest of the sign and I can't read any of it. And I absolutely HATE blue LED's. If you get the idea I'm prejudiced you're right.

There is some reason that fog lights are amber and I think that reason is amber blocks the blue light and makes things more visible. Also I see advertised blue blocker glasses which makes me think that the blue light is bad.

Unrelated, is the fact that blue light depletes melatonin which makes it hard to get to sleep. So maybe the blue light in LED headlights will help keep drowsy drivers awake.

Thanks for the research on the LED lights. I've been wondering if they were available.

Edwin
Just wanted to share what helps me, as I have the same problem at night. I think it was my dad many years ago that mentioned it to me. I mounted a lighted Red toggle switch just under my dash that comes on when I have headlights on. It illuminates the cab enough at night that it helps my eyes cut down on the harshness of oncoming lights. I don’t know exactly how to explain it, but it has always helped me tremendously.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Beer=better sleep
Yeah, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
or missles over Hawaii ?
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Can you make beer out of tea?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Truck Lite LEDs in my pile for quite a few years now. Worth the cost over replacing headlight switches often or the headache of building a wiring harness with relays, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
Truck Lite LEDs in my pile for quite a few years now. Worth the cost over replacing headlight switches often or the headache of building a wiring harness with relays.
I replaced all of my marker lights with LED's. Also I got LED bulbs which replaced the 194 bulbs for the Cab and front marker lights. My tail and front signal lights are still incandescent. I haven't wanted to experiment with the LED flasher yet.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I replaced all of my marker lights with LED's. Also I got LED bulbs which replaced the 194 bulbs for the Cab and front marker lights. My tail and front signal lights are still incandescent. I haven't wanted to experiment with the LED flasher yet.

The truck and flasher won't care about LEDs in the taillights. I ran into problems when I installed LEDs in the front markers. Being that the side fender markers ground through the front marker's socket and the polarity switches when the turn signal or hazard switch is activated, the voltage is fed backwards through the side marker which is how the front and sides alternate flashing. With LEDs in either position, you will see a "bulb out" indication in the dash which will be dimly lit signal indicators when the running lights are on or the bulb will not flash period and the indicator will stay on while the turn signal or hazard switch is activated. Funnily enough, however, they'll work just fine if the running lights aren't on.

If one wanted to retain the factory function of alternating flashers, a rectifier bridge would have to be wired into the harness to achieve that.

I didn't feel like hassling with all of that (though it's probably easier than I thought at the time) and rewired the front lighting system so that the side markers are solely running lights and do not flash. I also installed electronic or "no-load" flashers for both the turn signal and 4-ways so I don't get hyper-flashing or no flashing. Now I have LEDs all around except for the cab lights and fender markers. Those will come in time.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
The truck and flasher won't care about LEDs in the taillights. I ran into problems when I installed LEDs in the front markers. Being that the side fender markers ground through the front marker's socket and the polarity switches when the turn signal or hazard switch is activated, the voltage is fed backwards through the side marker which is how the front and sides alternate flashing. With LEDs in either position, you will see a "bulb out" indication in the dash which will be dimly lit signal indicators when the running lights are on or the bulb will not flash period and the indicator will stay on while the turn signal or hazard switch is activated. Funnily enough, however, they'll work just fine if the running lights aren't on.

If one wanted to retain the factory function of alternating flashers, a rectifier bridge would have to be wired into the harness to achieve that.

I didn't feel like hassling with all of that (though it's probably easier than I thought at the time) and rewired the front lighting system so that the side markers are solely running lights and do not flash. I also installed electronic or "no-load" flashers for both the turn signal and 4-ways so I don't get hyper-flashing or no flashing. Now I have LEDs all around except for the cab lights and fender markers. Those will come in time.
Here's some 194 LED bulbs for a real good price.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Completely plug and play LED headlights