Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will a new intake really help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Will a new intake really help?

[quote author=1dslram link=board=7;threadid=14742;start=0#140601 date=1053530933]<br>VinDiesel:<br>I can install and test the unit for you and I would be willing even to share the numbers with you. <br>Let us know if you get any improvement.<br>Bruce<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, thanks for the offer! I bet you'd get it on your truck much sooner than I will. I'll just hang onto it &amp; get it done someday.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:17 PM

[quote author=Farmout link=board=7;threadid=14742;start=0#140535 date=1053519115]<br>Thanks again Vinnie! Where should I go for the Twin-Ram, and how much are they.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I bought mine from Chuck DeVall at Banks (1-800-438-7693), paid $570.00, which included shipping. You might also check with any of the suppliers in the &quot;vendors&quot; section that are dealers for Banks, they might even be able to get you a better deal.<br><br>It's ironic that when I decide to go full tilt on something (such as BOMBing), I'll twist off and spend some $$, but then I haven't had the time to install it. My &quot;to do&quot;`list is huge!<br><br>In alternative, I talked to a guy who was looking for the regular intake for his truck. He told me Cummins sells them for about $75.00. That's cheaper than I thought they would be, and might be better than what you have.<br><br>Later, when you get bitten a little harder by the bug, you can also get the Scotty II cool air intake system to replace your stock air box.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:42 PM

Did you actually spend $570 for that thing? I've read several posts on various boards that say there are NO performance gains from the Banks Twin Ram. If it works for you, great, let us know. <br><br>On the other hand, you could have bought the Cummins connector tube (I think that's what Cummins calls it) for $60-75 (I paid 63 for mine) and a Scotty II for $189 and pocketed the $300. That's almost enough for a Rip's 4&quot; system or a set of 370's. <br><br>As far as the CA EGR set up goes, there are several good reasons to get rid of it. First off, I called it the &quot;soot injection system&quot; because the first time I pulled the intake off, the grid heaters were CAKED with soot. The inside of the intake plenum was just as bad. Second, if I remember correctly anything over 25-30# of boost will blow the diaphragm out of the EGR, then you're dead in the water. And last, the hole in the connector tube really is about the size of a quarter. <br><br>Since replacing the stock airbox with a Scotty II and ditching the EGR, turbo spools up much faster and WOT EGT has dropped about *200, cruising EGT about *50-*75 cooler.<br><br>The whole point of having the intercooler is to lower intake air temps to create a denser charge or air, so why inject hot exhaust gasses back into the system? Kinda negates the benefit of the intercooler, doesn't it?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:00 PM

Does blocking the EGR accomplish the same thing? Or does the intake suffer from restriction regardless?<br>Thanks Tim
Old 05-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Chapter President

I would say that we would be better off doing it right as there will be more airflow and a new fresh and clean intake. I could see how the soot would build up with the exhaust gases!! I wounder if the charger can get clogged
Old 05-28-2003, 03:12 PM

The stock connector tube itself is the big restriction. Upstream of the EGR venturi the connector tube was spotless. When you put the 49 state on, you'll need to fab a block off plate for the hole in the exhaust manifold. Easy to do, I used a piece of 1/4&quot; plate and used the gasket as a pattern.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:22 AM

[quote author=Cowhand link=board=7;threadid=14742;start=15#142663 date=1054071776]<br>Did you actually spend $570 for that thing?...[/quote]<br><br>Yes, I did. Would do it again, if need be. I really don't expect much hp increase from it, but think it will help with breathing. That may create a little more power considering the amount of fuel that is getting dumped into the engine.<br>Also, I think the better distribution will be a benefit. It may go a long way to solving the front and rear &quot;lean&quot; cylinders, helping all to run at a more even temperature. All that without actually doing any porting work to the head.<br>Note that temperature and air distribution between the cylinders is difficult to measure without a bunch of instruments that I'm not going to buy.<br>I'm thinking TWO inlets into the engine have to be better than just one. The Cummins air horn you mention is what I will be pulling off (non-EGR).<br><br>We'll see. I will post an impression when I finally get it put on. ;D
Old 05-29-2003, 01:45 PM

Actually the Banks Twin-Ram manifold for the EGR models offers a way to improve the airflow while maintaining the use of all the emissions equipment, therefore remaining emissions compliant.<br><br>Peter Treydte<br>Banks Power
Old 05-29-2003, 11:01 PM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=7;threadid=14742;start=15#143501 date=1054228776]<br>If you follow the theory about a chain being no stronger than its weakest link, or air/fluid flow being no better than the smallest restriction in its path - carefully look at the air flow path and restriction down at the inlet/outlet to your intercooler - THEN guess again about the added efficiency of fancy air horns... <br>[/quote]<br><br>I think you are not considering the big hump in the approximate middle of the intake plenum. It is true that the intercooler inlet/outlet are a restriction, as is the pipe up to the air horn. But when you add a wye, restriction is reduced from that point on. Also flow is now supplied on BOTH sides of that flow-restricting hump. I think the theory behind the dual inlets reducing the length of the flow path to the various ports is a sound one. Don't forget I'm talking pressurized flow here. One might argue air flow is a bit different than fluid flow. However, if you have ever done any firestream/hose friction loss equations, you will see that while a reduction in diameter (orifice) makes a difference, it's how LONG that reduced diameter is that really makes a difference. With 35-40psi, the air is going to get into the cylinders. A 3&quot; diameter orifice is rather negligible.<br><br>Understand I'm not expecting much of a noticeable hp difference, just going the last degree before actual modification of the head.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:23 AM

As long as I have 100 psi +/- at the nozzle, I don't care ;D ;D<br><br>Just make sure I have water by the time I get to the front door. If I get burnt again waiting for water I'm not gonna be happy...... &gt;