Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why not supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Why not supercharge

I would love to see a blower that came on at 900 RPM (no drag at idle) and was geared really tall so that it started pushing a lot of boost right now. By 1800 if the clutch started to disengage, the turbo wold be in its sweet spot and taking over.<br><br>But I don't know anything about blowers, so I don't even know if that's possible.<br><br>Seems reasonable to my little brain.<br><br>Tackett<br>-no lag!
Old 12-07-2002, 08:55 PM

Tackett,<br>The ROOTS type blowers start moving air as soon as they come on. So you would need a minimum/maximum pressure switch to switch it off and on, wired to a clutch on the blower, but if this was the case, would not the turbo be going at wide open, and when the blower shut down, there would also be a lag in the turbo, due to the loss of air from the blower, which would mean that the turbo has to pick up the slack, again.<br>Why not just run the blower and turbo in tandem and let one feed the other?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 AM

This is a good topic I started.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

On one of the diesel racers we had a kind of afterburner system. if boost was below a certain level the system would pump air and fuel into the exhaust manyfold. so boost came up very quickly. This thing worked quite nice, but had to be shut down very fast when applying a load -due to EGTs. I was wondering whether this could be used in a diesel PU with a massively big turbo. A kind of Y from the propane, a lot of compressed air and some spark plug. .... On the application we used it the 2 chargers (1 for each bank) spun up to about 4 atmospheres at idle within 2 seconds. EGT-s were way up at this moment. <br>Just some weird things that took place on the other side of the pond.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-09-2002, 11:41 AM

What about and oxygen bottl with a regulator on it that would pressureize the system somehow? Or some sort of compressed air to turn the turbo?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Ok, I was thinking about this a couple of months ago...<br>I have some experience driving fire trucks with the Detroit blower/turbo combo. Roots blower is not what we need here. But, how about a concept like twins, compound that is?<br>Use one of the belt drive blowers that is basically half of a turbo with a gearbox (like a Paxton). Intake air goes in, is prepressurized (doesn't have to be that much), then on to the stock (mounting configuration, anyway) turbo for greater gains once the exhaust starts flowing? Enough boost to reduce lag, but not so much as to rob a bunch of power or heat the air too much. It seems to me that such a setup would have an end result similar to twins. Also, if the blower drive failed, the engine could still draw air through the blades, so you could still operate the truck.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

The system we used had the advantage that there was no parasitic drag when not needed. Propane was already on board, so almost no weight there. We used a roots blower from a wrecked Lancia and routed the air into a reaction chamber on each manyfold. We could also use the blower alone to make the turbos cool down faster. ( Just shutting the propane off)<br>Since my turbo is too small to have a disturbing lag I won't put a system like this on my Ram.... yet... <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-09-2002, 02:53 PM

James,oxygen bad can you say BOMB! ;D
Old 12-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=cliff-1972 link=board=7;threadid=7941;start=15#77971 date=1039467209]<br>James,oxygen bad can you say BOMB! ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>or can you say...<br>BOOM!<br><br>O2 bad.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:26 PM

Scotty,That is what I meant ;D
Old 12-10-2002, 12:02 AM

Thats why god made turbos. A bigger turbo is always better. ;D
Old 12-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=cliff-1972 link=board=7;threadid=7941;start=15#78037 date=1039476376]<br>Scotty,That is what I meant ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Run away run away...
Old 12-10-2002, 06:41 AM

O2 would sure get here pumping ever taken the tourch near the intake of a 2 cycle and let off a blast of O2 how they start to rev? We use it to test snowmobile cases for leaks around crank seals and stuff like that just open the o2 and if she revs she leaks!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Banned

There was a guy that did the AC clutch thing on his blown Stang. It was pretty slick. Only problem as that you had to turn the car off, flip on the blower, then turn the car back on. Otherwise, you would frag the gears on the inside from the sudden jolt. A roots blower delivers boost almost instantly. That's what Ford uses on the Lightnings, and 03 Cobras, and Roush and Saleen use them on their Stangs. Vette's (at least the ones I've seen) use roots blowers. Roots are good for off the line and stuff but they won't make as much power up top as a centrifugal (Paxton, Vortech, Novi). Those blowers are kinda crappy down low but really speed up on the upper end of the RPM band and make a lot more power up top than a Roots. Plus they have the advantage of being able to be spun faster and make more boost than a roots blower can.<br><br>My question is this. If lag is such a big deal, then why couldn't you spray a shot of nitrous or propane right in front of the inlet of the turbo to help spool it up? That's kinda what I had planned on doing.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:48 AM

I was wonderingt that also can you spray the nitrous into the inlet of the turbo or does it have to be in the manifold before it goes into the engine? Can the nitrous go through the intercooler like propane can?

Quick Reply: Why not supercharge