Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

When is high flow necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is high flow necessary?

Just wondering if I would benifit at all by adding a high flow fuel system to my sig. If so, what is the best one to get, what does it consist of, and what is the cost?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 PM

Re:When is high flow necessary?

U benefit any time actully I highly recommend the wildcat high flow fuel system its personally tested by me and the DTR to work extremely well on trucks inder 400 HP and even some over
Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd say the word is adding a higher fuel flow is now like adding guages. It's just something you should do to any truck for reliability. Do call around for opinions though because it seems there is a few different opinions on how to do it. Give Rod at Wildcat a call, he's very honest.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:54 PM

If I were you, I would get a fuel pressure gauge first. Bad idea to run fuel boxes and injectors without one IMO.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 PM

I'd go the cheaper route and get you a good set of high flow banjo bolts and a new lift/transfer pump and you should be good to go. 8) I'm running a PM 3 with an EZ stacked and 100hp injectors with the above set up and can't drag it below 12psi under any condition. I got the banjos from a friend for free and the new pump run me $75 from another friend. This set up is realy doing well for me and a few others with more HP, plus you'll save enough $$$$$$ to buy a fuel pressure gauge.

If you don't want a perment gauge check Black Mountain Diesel.com sells a great temporary set up.

DB
Old 12-11-2003, 10:35 PM

Darrell is right.
A good set of drilled banjos and a fuel pressure gauge will suit you just fine.

I have run the stock lift pump with over 450rwhp for almost 2 years now.

And only midway added a fuel pressure gauge and modified banjos.

--Justin
Old 12-11-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I also feel that high flow banjo's are a good improvement for moderate HP figures. But there is one thing that I would say is a must to check and that's the size of the fuel lines going from the LP to the VP. When I was messing around with my fuel setup I found that the fuel line between the filter and VP was 1/8" inside diameter! No pump will ever overcome that tiny size. And asking if others had this problem, I found that there wasnt a standard. Some guys had 1/8" ID fuel lines from LP to VP and some had 5/16" ID. So when you change the banjo's look in the fuel lines and if the are tiny 1/8" I suggest you also add larger fuel lines or there is no point on trying to get more fuel with bigger banjo's.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:04 PM

The hard line outlets between the lift pump and the filter cannister, where the rubber hose hooks on, are also 1/8 inch. I use -6AN fittings and line for those.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:43 AM

I feel that if you buy banjo's they will buy you time meaning that you will probably be doing more mods down the road requiring them to sit in your tool box. Do it right the first time like everything else buy a high flow system the wildcat high flow system is like 150 bucks the banjo's I can't remember probably around 60 in canadian so look at it this way for a 100 bucks more look what you get. All high flow fitting lines the works.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:03 AM

I feel that if you buy banjo's they will buy you time meaning that you will probably be doing more mods down the road requiring them to sit in your tool box. Do it right the first time like everything else buy a high flow system the wildcat high flow system is like 150 bucks the banjo's I can't remember probably around 60 in canadian so look at it this way for a 100 bucks more look what you get. All high flow fitting lines the works.
Yeppers, A happy VP-44 is a relaible one..get the max-flow (wildcat) kit if u can afford it, the banjo's will improve but this system is better flowing and can handle more future mod's...even stock it's a good investment. ( Santa is suppose to leave mine under the tree....we will see! )
Old 12-12-2003, 08:54 AM

Put a fuel pressure gauge on your ride first, then you will know. I kind of get the feeling you are not going to stop with what you have now, so the max flow kit would be a good idea.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:20 AM

FP guage is on the way, but I need a 2 pod pillar. Boost/EGTin one and FP in the other. I think I am going FASS.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:31 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

With your mods, you'd be running somewhere in the 320 HP range. We use this mark as our limit for high flow banjos. If you plan on staying at 320, stick to the high flows as they will give you good pressure and good reliability.

If you plan on heading over the 320 mark, go with complete replacement of the small factory lines. We start seeing lift pump failures with high flows at the 320 mark, and while many (indeed most) are fine, you may fall into the 20% category that have not been fine. By 350 HP, we've found that the failure rate with high flow banjos is up near 80% at 50,000 miles.

Rod
Old 12-12-2003, 09:55 AM

Rod is right. Me at 450 ish HP with stock fuel lines and banjo's 0 PSI WOT same LP with high flow system from Wildcat 7 PSI WOT.

Now new lift pump is going in because it was hurting from the banjo's we will see what the pressure's are.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:01 AM

How can you tell if a lift pump is going to fail before it actually does?What does the FP guage do? That is the purpose of the guage isn't it?

Quick Reply: When is high flow necessary?