Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What mods will not void the warrantee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What mods will not void the warrantee?

In about 2 months I'll be a new CTD owner (ordering my truck tomorrow!!) ;D ;D ;D<br><br>Realistically, what mods does DC allow without giving you problems with warrantee work? <br>Gauges? How do they feel about drilling a hole in the exhaust manifold for a thermocouple to measure pre-turbo EGTs? What about taping in to measure boost and/or fuel pressures? <br>Would an aftermarket air system like a Scotty II be a problem (no oil on the filter)? <br>Will larger tires cause some dealers to refuse to warrantee the drivetrain? <br>Etc., etc., etc.<br><br>I realize DC thinks the truck is stock perfect(!!!) and doesn't want owners modifying it, but more gauges to monitor performance, a better air system, etc. should theoretically reduce their liability by preventing problems and/or identifying them earlier when they've caused less damange and ought to be less expensive to repair (thus contributing to happier customers).<br>I understand why they would have problems with performance upgrades such as injectors, pumps, turbos, boxes, etc.<br><br> What can I do and not become my own warrantee station!! [undecided]<br>Thanks,<br>F11Engineer
Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 AM

Re:What mods will not void the warrantee?

Wash and Wax it??. Really, anytime you do performance upgrades you risk your warranty. Plus it depends on your dealer as to whether they are tolerant of upgrades. Sometimes you get lucky and get one that will turn his head. But for the most part you will be on your own. Aftermarket accessories from Mopar would probably be ok
Old 03-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=F11Engineer link=board=7;threadid=12214;start=0#115449 date=1047571059]<br>In about 2 months I'll be a new CTD owner (ordering my truck tomorrow!!) ;D ;D ;D<br> What can I do and not become my own warrantee station!! [undecided]<br>Thanks,<br>F11Engineer <br>[/quote]<br><br>Leave it totaly stock until you pass 100,000 miles. : <br><br>Check with others in your area for a BOMB-Friendly dealer.<br>But if you toast an engine or tranny, they can change on 'ya REAL fast. [undecided]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Mopar locking fuel cap! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 03-13-2003, 10:31 AM

Tony, what is up with your sig? ???
Old 03-13-2003, 10:33 AM

[quote author=Luke S link=board=7;threadid=12214;start=0#115469 date=1047573094]<br>Tony, what is up with your sig? ???<br>[/quote]<br><br> <br><br>Just being a dufus... ;D
Old 03-13-2003, 10:53 AM

Old 03-13-2003, 10:54 AM

Even if you put a lift kit on your truck or bigger tires, many stealerships will try to void at least your powertrain warranty, if not more...
Old 03-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked this over with my dealer very seriously, discussed all the little things I have learned from this &quot;LOVLY FORUM OF A MONEY PIT&quot; ...His words to me was, &quot;if it is installed correctly, and there is no obvious reason that the after market part's have cuased the problem they would be glad to fix it&quot;. I asked him to define this &quot;quote&quot; to me, and I was pretty suprised at what he had to say. &quot;NOW&quot; when and if I ever need them to hold true to this, and they do, I WILL BE ONE SHOCKED S.O.B! But you go big, you play big, be prepared to pay big. ;D
Old 03-13-2003, 09:00 PM

Be sure to only put DC air in your tires. Anything else, probably on your own.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=12214;start=0#115727 date=1047610837]<br>Be sure to only put DC air in your tires. Anything else, probably on your own.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'd go with Cummins Air. <br>The DC air is horribly overpriced. ;D <br><br>phox
Old 03-13-2003, 09:46 PM

I figured this question would elicit some fun and entertaining answers <br><br>However, I was actually hoping to get some insight into the question of the qauges!!<br><br>Thanks for the help.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Ok, serious face now.

According to the law, and I'm paraphrasing this.

A dealer can't void a warranty because of an aftermarket part without proving that said part directly resulted in the failure of whatever part they are voiding the warranty on.

If you get a crack in your manifold, and the dealer can prove that your drilling and tapping directly resulted in that crack, then they can refuse to warranty the manifold.

If your transmission fails, there is no way the Dealer could void the warranty because you added guages.
There isn't any basis that guages can kill a tranny.

If you add a fuel pressure guage and find out your lift pump is dead, most Dealers would recognize that you are saving them money by protecting the $1300.00 injection pump and replace your $150.00 lift pump.

Most Dealers treat guages as a possible sign there might be other modifications they should be wary of.

If you add a Edge Comp and pierce the pump wire and your VP44 dies soon thereafter, don't expect the Dealer to replace it under warranty, as the Comp most likely directly caused the VP44 failure, at least in DC's eyes.

But, that really depends on the Dealer and their view of BOMB's, and your willingness to fight or live with whatever decision they arrive at.

There are obvious modifications you could perform that would result in voided warranties and you should be prepared to &quot;be your own warranty station&quot;.

Ok, serious face off now .

phox
Old 03-13-2003, 10:07 PM

Well said phox mulder!

Quick Reply: What mods will not void the warrantee?