Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

wastegate replacement time

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wastegate replacement time

I've had codes that my wastegate has stuck and I can definetly feel times where it's stuck open. Not often, but it's happened...and alas, I digress from my original point.

So, I plan to replace the waste-gate or clean it so it works properly. My reason for posting this information is to, I guess, learn a little about the w.g. I want a faster spool, less turbo lag. Is there a spring kit I can buy or should I just buy a new waste-gate? What changes to the performance of the motor can I make with a waste-gate and does it need to be accompanied by anything other purchases?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need to fill in your signature...so we can answer you based on what equipt. you have. (12v, 24v,tranny, etc.

RJ
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM

my bad. done.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your wastegate is stuck open....a properly operating one will make BIG difference. It should be completely closed till you get to 16-18 psi boost. Don't hear it (sticking open) very often. I would replace it.

Never used them myself, but have heard nothing but good about Turbo Master....
http://www.heathdiesel.com/?action=aboutus

Good Luck!

RJ
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What codes make you think the WG has stuck open? There is no code that would specifically tell you the WG is stuck open. The 0234 DTC is an overboost code that can often mean the WG is stuck closed or stiff and slow to open. Is your boost gauge hooked up yet? If it is what kind of psi are you seeing when you think there is a problem?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 PM

I have the turbo master on my Chevy 6.5td. Best $60 I spent on the truck.

Huh, just checked the heath diesel site, looks like a gm only site now....
Old 05-17-2005, 02:43 PM

I do have the gauge hooked up now, I see ~25 psi and haven't felt it stuck open yet. Im guessing it was the turbo stuck and not the vp (please oh please) but don't have the fp gauge up yet cus the package containing my lp relocation kit got stolen off my porch

I got the codes saying boost limit exceeded.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

That means your waste gate is stuck closed - not open. Put your favourite fueling box with a boost fooler and forget about the wastegate not opening!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM

regardless of where the chingadara gets stuck, i'd like a faster spooling turbo. Maybe even one that gives me more than 5 psi in second gear. they're not expensive nor hard to replace, it looks like. May as well have some fun, eh?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Chapter President

A wastegate that is stuck closed will not hurt spool-up one bit......however, after 20 psi, the ECM will set the 0234 DTC and defuel the motor. Your turbo is probably just fine.....slap a boost fooler (fueling box) in and forget about it.....
Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM

CTD, you sport one built jeep. sportin a slushbox or a manual? Heavy motor w/ 40" boggers, break much on the rocks?

and I got no idea what a boost fooler is but i'll research the sucker a bit. thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Chapter President

Darren,

Thanks for the compliments.....the motor is not as heavy as you think - only 675 lbs......weighs the same as an all-iron SBC with 2 batteries (I only run 1 battery). I run a TH350 - not stock.

I don't break much in the way of axles anymore.....D60 rear is a 35 spline full floater with Moser Chromoly shafts and fully braced and trussed 60HD housing......the front has Moser 35 spline Chromoly inners and outers, billet steering arms with a Rock Ram and 1/2" thick tubing in the housing. The 203/205 combo has 32 spline inputs and outputs with 3" tube 1350'd driveshafts. Don't get me wrong, with a double low range and a big block, you can't drive like an idiot and expect nothing to break! but for the most part, if anything breaks, it is usually a result of operator error/over-confidence!!

The boost fooler is usually a feature in most fueling boxes and eliminates the defueling and setting the 0234 DTC in the ECM that is a result of exceeding 20 psi of boost. With the boost fooler, you can run as much fuel and boost as you like without the ECM setting a code and defueling. An Edge EZ or Comp has this feature as do many others.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:26 PM

double t-case and soooo much motor, w/ 40's. Different school of wheeling for me.

I'm leaving the Jeep scene ( have an imitation Jeep, a Cherokee) and dropping in behind the toyota wheel. Gotta love the no axle swap necessary aspect, cheap as hell to fix, and lightness.

Did you make your fender flares yourself?

Thems fuel boxes ain't cheap! I gotta wait to see if I need to replace my vp44 before buyin' one of them, and the head unit for the dodge and cage/flatbed come first for the toyota.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Chapter President

Yes, I made the flares myself......1/16" thick 3003 aluminum - very soft.....when you bend a flare on a tree or rock, you just grab it and pull it back into shape by hand! I wheel with a couple Toys in our club....they are stout trucks, stock...just watch those birfields!! Those get expensive when they grenade!!

An EZ or a Comp may appear expensive but the $ per hp gain is awesome......there is no more bang for the buck!!

Any pics of the Toy?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Nothing of her done. she's in my buddy's garage hoodless, doorless and fenderless. I wanna find some good fg fenders, baja style, to make it look extra tacky.

It's got heat-treated birfs. when I have the money, I'll drop for Super Birfields. I hear they're indestructible. I can't wait to get that truck rolling. I have tube-doors for it, too. So I can ride around in this ultra-tall toyota w/ no fenders and tube doors, a mismatched cab to the bed and a cherry bomb muffler. It's gonna be hilarious.

When I can I'll toss up some pictures of the toy. Gonna have the chrome grille, too.

Quick Reply: wastegate replacement time