Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Want info about the TST PowerMax3

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want info about the TST PowerMax3

Just bought one on E-bay last night and dont know much about them. The only tuner I've ever used on a truck like this is a SuperChip flash tuner and I dont think you can compare the 2. I got this TST with the R46 remote. I have heard that guys with a 6 speed like me with a stock clutch dont want to go past #8 power level because the clutch will start slipping, is that right?
I pull a trailer (20' goose neck) with my T/A on it which the car weighs about 3700 lbs, is there anything I need to know about pulling with this unit? Is there anything else I need to know? TIA!

BTW, Where are yall mounting your remotes?

Hummer
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM

ttt
Anyone? please
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM

It's a mean & nasty, aggressive fueling box. Now you need a programer with a timing program and stack the 2 because the TST PM3 does fueling only.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
It's a mean & nasty, aggressive fueling box. Now you need a programer with a timing program and stack the 2 because the TST PM3 does fueling only.
Will it hurt to run it without a timing programmer, and can you give me an example of a timing programmer (i.e. brand)?
Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

No, it will run just fine without added timing.

Jim
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30 PM

You will be fine but it would be way more benificial if you had timing to go with it!!! A Smarty is the only way to fly, what a sweet programer!!! We just need some new update programs, Please!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
No, it will run just fine without added timing.

Jim
Thanks Jim!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM

I have my TST stacked with an Edge EZ that I bought used. It works great. My remote is mounted on the right hand lower side of my dash. If I pull the dash bezel off the remote comes off with it.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
I have my TST stacked with an Edge EZ that I bought used. It works great. My remote is mounted on the right hand lower side of my dash. If I pull the dash bezel off the remote comes off with it.
Thanks, I look at the installation manuels on TST's website and that's where they mount them too. I plan on putting mine there also.

How about the upper power levels? Are 8 & 9 dangerous or off limits to a stock clutch truck?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thanks Jim!
I had some questions about my own TST after I got to talking with a friend, so I got to looking at their site. I always wondered about the TST and timing. How too much timing actually decreases Hp. I mean like when stacking a TST and a Smarty. I also wondered why a Edge Comp / Juice only added about 120 Hp / 360 Torque which is the same for the TST, except the Edge adds timing and the TST does'nt.

Not sure I really understand it fully, but here it is. From the TST Website in the FAQ section this is what I found:

Does the PowerMax3 or PowerMax Competition do timing advance?

- The PowerMax3 and PowerMax Competition do not directly do timing advance. Under steady state conditions, such and cruising on the highway, when the PowerMax adds power the ECM will compensate and cut power to keep the power constant for a constant load. When the ECM cuts power, it will advance timing (to reduce emissions).
My guess is that the Edge does not add timing when it decreases performance. This is because the software runs in concert controlling timing and fueling. But the Smarty, being a seperate entity, does not mix quite as well with the part that the TST is playing. Too much timing gets added at the top end and total Hp drops.

That makes me wonder if Marco is wondering how to make a software that is specifically blended to work with fueling only boxes like the TST etc....

For the Smarty TST stack, I don't think you will go wrong with the pure fun drivability factor of the the stack even if the "all out numbers" might suffer a little.

Jim
Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
I had some questions about my own TST after I got to talking with a friend, so I got to looking at their site. I always wondered about the TST and timing. How too much timing actually decreases Hp. I mean like when stacking a TST and a Smarty. I also wondered why a Edge Comp / Juice only added about 120 Hp / 360 Torque which is the same for the TST, except the Edge adds timing and the TST does'nt.

Not sure I really understand it fully, but here it is. From the TST Website in the FAQ section this is what I found:

My guess is that the Edge does not add timing when it decreases performance. This is because the software runs in concert controlling timing and fueling. But the Smarty, being a seperate entity, does not mix quite as well with the part that the TST is playing. Too much timing gets added at the top end and total Hp drops.

That makes me wonder if Marco is wondering how to make a software that is specifically blended to work with fueling only boxes like the TST etc....

For the Smarty TST stack, I don't think you will go wrong with the pure fun drivability factor of the the stack even if the "all out numbers" might suffer a little.

Jim
Thanks! That FAQ link was very helpful. So do not exceed level 6
Old 03-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Tst is a lazy box and doesn't do anything until you make boost- then it starts fueling. You are going to have to find your own limit- just turn it up until the clutch slips or egts go too high then back it down a level or two

As far as power differences with the tst by itself vs with a timing box/ programmer I looked back at Blackdiesel's dyno thread and it looks like the smarty made a difference of 30hp/ 60ft-lbs over just the tst comp, and that was on a HO pump.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Tst is a lazy box and doesn't do anything until you make boost- then it starts fueling. You are going to have to find your own limit- just turn it up until the clutch slips or egts go too high then back it down a level or two

As far as power differences with the tst by itself vs with a timing box/ programmer I looked back at Blackdiesel's dyno thread and it looks like the smarty made a difference of 30hp/ 60ft-lbs over just the tst comp, and that was on a HO pump.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
That's where my remote is too. I love the box, just gotta get something with timing to stack with it....and injectors, clutch, bigger turbo....ahhh
Anyway, there's another thread "TST PM3 vs PM3 Comp" the only time I notice any shudder is if I let off the skinny pedal fast while still in gear from high rpm's. I run it on 9 all the time.
There's some pics in my gallery of it mounted up.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
We saw a similar increase with a TST Competition(and other stuff) stacked with a Smarty... gained around 31hp on Floor-It's Dyno Dynamics dyno... this was on a stock HO pump as well. An Edge EZ was in the same ball park.. same truck within 30 minutes of each other, the EZ added 25hp...