Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walbro or Raptor for 2nd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Walbro or Raptor for 2nd Gen?

Hi
I've searched, but either I'm missing something or it's not possible.
Question: Can we run a Walbro or Raptor on 2nd Gen (2001) trucks? Most posts/threads I find show up in either 1st or 3rd Gen forums. I want to replace my fuel pump but I want "easy" and don't want an Air Dog or FASS. From what I'm reading (i think) it seems the Walbro or Raptor might be what I'm looking for. I want "easy" because I'm not too mechanically savy... Ihave a Quadzilla Commander and my fuel pressure is starting to make me uncomfortable. About 65% of the time the reading is 8-10psi; 30% of the time reading is 5-7; 5% of the time reading is <4%. Will a Walbro or Raptor fit? or should I just buy a stock replacement? I rarely haul anything; occasionally pull a small 5x8 trailer with riding lawnmower or load of topsoil.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
walbro
think about it
a high pressure walbro pump can run 50-100 psi all day on a turbo car and its cooled by the fuel.......your only runnin it at 20psi so it should last forever
if it breaks you just go on ebay and spend 99 bucks and throw in another pump
ive had mine for over 1.5 years and run 25 psi all the time with a big line kit
super quiet also
just get a pre filter
glacier diesel has a nice kit and big line also
there was also one in the classifides a copule weeks ago
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM

Thanks; glad to know the Walbro will fit. I checked out the Glacier site and also noticed the RAPTOR RP-100. It is slightly less $, but I found the following comments attractive for me:
1/2” Big Line Fuel Lines are Standard. and
Note** Raptor 100 & 150 series pumps connect to the stock fuel tank sending unit and DO NOT require the tank to be dropped.
Like I said, I prefer "easy" and not having to drop the tank sounds appealing. Can anyone offer a comparison/opinion on the Walbro VS Raptor? -d
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 PM

i just put the raptor on my 2001 a few months ago and love it with my edge comp on level 4 it drops from 19psi to 14psi. with the raptor and the new fuel lines you have to get to the top of the fuel tank to hook the new line up to the tank but i did it and didnt have to drop the tank. the raptor is a peace of mind in my opinion and the best mod i have....no problems so far plus the service from pureflow technologies is awesome just my $.02 good luck either way
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Raptor pump also include a Lifetime Warranty
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 AM

Danalex, do you have the intank retrofit LP. Just wondering.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM

i have the intank pump can i add the raptor
danalex where are u from
thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 AM

Was wondering, for the walbro pump, is a return line needed? i was looking at them and it looks like the inlines are just that, i have a holley blue right now, but thinking about changing before i put on my adrenaline, will it just go where the holley is, and is it allright for use with diesel.. can't really find any specific for diesel.. thanks for any info...

Capn..

On my way home after 8 months in the worlds largest cat box!!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With the Walbro, you must have SOME kind of regulation that returns fuel.

Without regulation, the Walbro will generate enough pressure to blow the lid off your fuel filter housing and spray a LOT of fuel all over.

Aeromotive sells a universal regulator that works well and isn't too terribly expensive.

JMO
Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM

Intank retrofit: Not sure; bought it around Thanksgiving last year and don't recall the previous owner saying anything about it. Have most of the mech records but don't see anything about a retrofit.

Pureflow Technologies: Website? I've done most checking on Glacier Diesel.

Walbro Installation Link: Good website with lotsa pics and hints (will still probably go with Raptor though) http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...formation.html

CAPT: Welcome Home brother!

Dodge24: S. of San Antonio; check private msg

Thanks for all the comments.

D
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM

pureflowtechnologies.com i believe just give them a call i needed mine in two days after calling them and paid for the 2 day mailing but the pump was at my door the next morning. the directions that come with it are awesome too with pictures to help you if you need any help pm me...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Walbro 392 ($120) with a bypass works wonderfully! PaulDaisy has some good ideas on a bypass setup, IIRC. I used a Swagelok B-8CPA2-3 ($30) and set it to bypass at about 21psi pre-filter for about 19-20psi at the VP. It just flows back into the OEM bypass line to the tank. Also get a pre-filter. FF5079 works well and you can get it from Cummins for about $8. Quiet and rock solid PSI!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM

I installed the Raptor 100 several months ago. Great system. The AN fittings are really heavy duty. No return needed on the pump. It has a lifetime warranty and is basically the same pump as the air dog. It comes with a harness and relay to connect to the old lift pump harness. You get enough hose to use the original fuel filter setup. It comes preset around 15psi. Some tips I've learned. 1. Blow back into the tank supply line and try to have it elevated above the tank when you do it (diesel fuel tastes terrible). This seems to break the siphoning effect from the tank and keeps you from getting too much of a bath in diesel fuel. This probably will not happen if you take the line looose at the tank. If your careful you can work yourself up into the wheel well area. It definitely helps to have a droplight on top of the tank and a small mirror handy so you can see how to disconnect the fitting. I think I used 90 degree needle nose pliers. Also heat the end of the hose in hot water to soften it up, and lube the fitting real good. If your lucky you get the hose on all the way the first push, otherwise its a struggle. It took me several hours to do this job start to finish. I also put cuttoff valves in mine in case I have a problem in the future. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM

I have had a walbro on mine since christmas last year and its doing everything I ask it to. I have a 16 micron prefilter, then the walbro, then a 2 micron final filter an aeromotive regulator and from there it goes straight to the VP or back to the tank. The tank module actually has an unused fitting that can be used for a return line.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM

I got my Raptor 150 on in about 3 hours and has worked flawless since. I too was looking for simplicity, and with the Raptor, you get just that.

Quick Reply: Walbro or Raptor for 2nd Gen?