Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vulcan Kit and Carter Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan Kit and Carter Installed!

Hello board,

Wanted to thank everyone for the input on my recent upgrade.

I ordered the Vulcan Big Line kit from Eric, at Vulcan Performance. The kit was on my doorstep within 2 days. Installation went very well, with only a few minor hitches.

I'm not sure if it's due to having a full tank of fuel, it may have occured anyway....but when I cut the smaller plastic line from the hard line down along the frame......I got a bath! Pretty steady stream of DF......lol. Fortunately I had the new line ready to go, ....slipped it over, and elevated the opposite end to stop the flow. Probably lost about a gallon, and made a mess of myself. If I would have been thinking,......I probably would have thought of this ahead of time....Physics!!

The second hitch occured on start up. Most had stated that after a bump or two of the starter.....the system bled off on its own and the truck would fire right off. I bumped the starter 6-8 times,....and still wasnt showing any psi on my gauge. Ended up removing the FF cap,.......bumped starter, the carter then filled the FF reservoir. Bumped starter again, still no psi. Cracked #1, and #3 injectors, after a couple more bumps had fuel at the injectors and psi on my gauge. Hit the key, and she sputtered to life.

With my new pump, and big line kit.....I'm showing the following:

Idle: 15.5psi
Cruise: 13psi
WOT: 12 psi

Previously I had been reading:

Idle: 13
Cruise: 8-9
WOT: 0-7

Thanks again everyone! Hoping this will take care of me for awhile.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Did you relocate the pump, or leave it in the stock location. I've been following your threads because I'm in the same boat as you. I'll be doing the relocation/big line kit and gauges at the same time.

I've been wondering how much fuel would come out of that line when it gets removed.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM

bamadzl:

I installed the new pump in the stock location. After conversing with several other DTR members who have completed this same upgrade, (big line, w/ LP in stock location) I decided to give it a try. To be honest with you, after I had completed the installation, I kind of wished I would have done the relocation.....another 30 mins of my time, and $50 and it would have been done.

I'll run it this way until my new pump fails.........(hopefully 100K miles from now )

Eric at Vulcan said that I could easily order the bracket, and the longer harness from him to complete a pump relocation. I'll likely go that route. Several have mentioned the intank conversion.......however being out of warranty, I would rather put the LP down on the frame near the tank if I have to do this again someday, (much easier to replace in case of failure). I dont like the idea of dropping the tank everytime a LP fails.

Right now, I have a one year warranty on my LP,........so I'm going to run it in place. If upon nearing the end of the year, my LP even so much as hiccups..I'm going to take it back into NAPA, for an exchange, and I'll install the new one on the frame.

I will agree that the pump would be better off pushing, rather than pulling.....especially uphill. Not to mention the vibration suffered from the block location. (During installation, it occured to me that rubber grommets between the pump and the mounting bracket, would probably help dampen vibration) Also, keep in mind the benefits of keeping your tank full. As I learned first hand, (diesel fuel bath) the pump doesnt have to work near as hard with a full tank. (Higher line pressure between tank and LP) Not too mention the fuel temperature is likely cooler on a full tank.

Good Luck, and let me know if you have any questions on your install. Reallyl was pretty simple.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:23 PM

Well my truck had the LP and VP44 replaced at 262k by the previous owner. I just want to do something to give them both a chance to last for a while. Gauges will go on at the same time, so I will be able to monitor the pressures at all times.

I should order my stuff in the next few days. I may take you up on you offer and ask you a few questions.

Brad
Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM

No problem at all. I'm not real knowledgable on they Pyro, boost gauges, (dont have those installed yet).....but I did do the fuel system.

One thing right off the bat,......you may have picked this up from my above post. Try and have your tank as low as reasonably possible before jumping into installing the big line kit. Should make for less fuel spillage while swapping out the factory plastic line, with the new hydraulic line you'll recieve. Also, have a clean 5 gallon bucket (or similar) ready to slide underneath to catch any spillage. I underestimated the amount of fuel I would be spilling in the upgrade process. Slide the bucket under you FF canister, and drain that first. Then when you go to remove the plastic line, have your bucket ready there.

Good Luck, and hit the "pm" button if you have any questions. Glad to help if I can!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I,m also following this tread , what is the carter pump number?? I think I,ll go with the relocate, does vulcan sell the mounting bracket??? Is the pump out of sight ?? well protected??? etc.... Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM

I recently did the relocation using the Vulcan kit. I have noticed a major reduction in noise from the engine. I think it's from getting that noisy pump behind me!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 PM

caper:

The carter pump part number is: P74213

or NAPA (same pump) : NFPP74213

The vulcan kit comes with everything you need to complete the relocation. Here's a link to Erics website:
Vulcan Performance
Old 07-29-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I jacked up the front of my truck a coupla feet and put it on jackstands after letting the fuel tank get down to 1/4 full. I had the hose at the ready when I cut through the metal line and spillage was minimal. I want to install some ball type isolation valves like 600MW uses then the next LP swap will truely be a piece of cake.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:28 PM

silverram

did you use the same sealing washers or did you have to buy new ones
Old 07-31-2005, 03:35 PM

bad 1 ton:

My new carter LP came with 4-5 new seal/washers,......I did however reuse most of my old ones, they still looked pretty good.