Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP44 recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 recommendations

shopping for a VP 44. my truck, 01 6spd with HO motor.
i'm considering the BD high performance pump and a SO replacement.

What i'm hearing of the HO VP44 is that is already near its limit as far as output. The SO version even though it doesn't come stock on my particular year, is ideal for future mods (always thinking of more power...who doesn't?)

lastly, the BD high performance VP44. its ~$1600 compared to an SO at $975.
salesperson really sold me on the ~100 hp gain over what i have currently.

Core return is a concern...if i don't return a identical VP44 core as the SO, i get whacked $400.

So i'm leaning towards the BD. I can get this pump and give them back my HO core and they'll accept it. no surcharge.

Any thoughts...anyone?

thank you
Old 12-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
If I were willing to spend that much, I would opt for the premium blue chip with new computer........
Old 12-02-2014, 04:12 PM

little ranting here.

as many motor head on this site, there was only one reply. ?

i understand there are many many post regarding...but they all sooner or later deviate off topic (such as what i'm doing now).

so you'll read a post with 50 replies. the last 40 replies will have zero to do with the original topic.

so...end of the day, i'm still kicking this topic around. the more i read online, more retailers online, conversations i have with them....i'm no better after all that readinng and conversations
Old 12-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Administrator

I understand your rant, but the problem is so many have been snake-bit by used computers and questionable rebuilds it is difficult to get someone to commit.

I KNOW Bluechip is the best out there, and I know for a fact that the HO pump is nowhere near maxed out at 245 Hp, so I question the information posted. Just for grins, have you talked to Doug at Bluechip about your application?

I will lay back and let motorheads post if they will, if they don't, try over on CompDiesel...... Because if I ever do move up to a 24V and have issues with the VP, I will do a VE swap and not look back.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had a BD it died had another brand 2 of them replaced under warranty fought with them to get my money back I bought a Blue Chip Premium it runs better than new have had it on for 4 years never had a problem even with the pump cover and a edge box and yes Doug is a great person to talk to best service hands down
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM

I'm now at 100kmiles on my current VP. This was purchased through
sourceautomotive.biz. I did this because they did the 1 year unlimited mileage like most people do but they allowed tapping the VP. at the time the VP's that sourceautomotive sold came from www.oregonfuelinjection.com
I thought then that all the parts and pieces were new on those VP's. but after talking to oregonfuelinjection about the VP's they sold and they told me all hard parts are new except for the computer board. But at 100k miles on this pump I cannot complain.

I have never used this company but www.dieselautopower.com advertises the pumps they sell are 100% new parts. I did email in the past to them on core charge issue if I was to swap my HO for a SO. They told me they could take my HO core. That was then but assuming they would do the same today.

I'm not trying to advertise just telling you what my experience has been and what I know.
Blue chip pumps are great from what I read for those that have purchased them. IMO that is a lot of dough. I didn't want to spend that much in the past and i have been happy with my current pump. I have 100k miles and I bought my current pump 2007 the same year I got out of the Marines.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM

i pulled the trigger...

Industrial injection Hotrod vp44 and 150hp injectors.
i already have an Airdog 150, SBC clutch, edge comp.

we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 PM

well IMO you will be easily overfueled with the stock turbo. You will need to learn to drive the truck all over with those upgrades.
may need to adjust the edge and really watch the egt's until you find the
set up that works for you and not against you with smoke and heat.

I know I had re-learn to drive with my 6 speed. other wise it was way to easy to black out a intersection or down shifting. But its actually hard to make alot of smoke now that I have the super b special.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Hmm? Ok. i respect your opinion.

I'm trying to make the best choices based on conversations and other info that is available. Those choices were based off a conversation with the online retailer. He said they were ideally matched...even with the stock turbo.

I'll ask again...the delivery date is still pending on othe IP coming into stock.

thanks for your input.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

LOL that's why I have kept mine stock for so long, Injectors begat pumps, pumps begat turbos, turbos begat twins..........

Industrial is a good choice, just drive carefully and start saving for the B1 Special.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree you will need a turbo with that much fueling...your stock turbo really doesn't have any wriggle room to grow and that is a big fueling jump.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM

i plan to do a turbo upgrade,...eventually.

how will my truck run with this stock turbo? completely unmanageable or just will take some getting use to?

i'd imagine, very smokey off the line?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you tow anything you better keep your eyes glued to the pyro...
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 PM

truck is mostly a hobby. I drive it 2-3 times a week.
never anything heavier than 7K.

can you provide any insight on how truck will run this way?
thx.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by jj3500
truck is mostly a hobby. I drive it 2-3 times a week.
never anything heavier than 7K.

can you provide any insight on how truck will run this way?
thx.
Since you have a manual you should be "fine" - you will be able to black out intersections etc, but you will be able to drive around this- with more power than stock.

But you will not be able to really use the new fueling, simply because you will toast the engine.
I would go for twins with fueling like that, because you will have much better EGT management on high power runs.
With the stock turbo you will need to glue one eye on the pyro.
You will have very high backpressure, so you will have to think about studs and o-rings- or kiss your headgasket goodbye (If you try to use the fuel you have with this stuff).

In my opinion even an edge comp ist too much for the stock turbo on the SO with a stock pump. I think a lot of the fueling upgrades just get you to where you are only able to use 1/4 go pedal and anything more is asking for trouble.
Trouble begets damage, damage begets repair bills...
Or: Why do we never have the funds to do it right the first time but then we have an unlimited budget for repairs?

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: VP44 recommendations