Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Voltage Drop / Lights Dimming on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ever try to remove a glow plug that has been in there for some time and has carbon built up around the top of it? Hope like heck you can turn it enough to remove the carbon, or you will break it off and the only place for the tip to go is on top of the piston. Now your only choice is to pull the head, or to start it and wait for that horrible sound to stop before it hangs up a valve. My buddies 6.2 made a racket for about 5 minutes. That darn motor just wont die!!! 325k miles on the clock.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:04 PM

Yes Fords i know have the glow plugs, but im not 100% sure aboud the chevy. A downfall to the glow plugs is if they go bad and its cold it may be difficult for the truck to start in cold weather. Im a Dodge man my self, no glow plugs necessary. I think the fords have 8 glow plugs and im not sure on the price to replace them if the would happen to go bad
Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
can get a device that overides this feature to save the grids from unecessary cycling when the engine is warm.
So where is this device. Is it really needed? Do the heaters ever wear out??
Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Ford F350 with the 6.9 before I got smart and traded it for my Dodge.....
I had to replace the glow plugs three times in three years...
They are comparable in price to spark plugs and change out about the same, alibeit a little more difficult to access...
When, not if, one breaks off and falls into the preheat chamber( the ford 6.9 uses a small air chamber above the valves to preheat the air in) you either pull the head or get a flexible magnetic pick-up tool and spend hours "fishing" to retreive it..... been there done that...twice.....
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Just an added note in the newer trucks (mine is an 06), actually I ahve no idea on any years but the 06 sorry. I had the dealer for free turn on my additional high idle. Now in the cold mornings I start the truck set the Emerg brake and turn on the cruise and I can idle up with the accell/decell for warm up. The added RPMs keep the juice flowing so no dimming. If ya put it in nuetral the tranny circulates and warms it faster also. This was from cummins supposedly stated from my dealer.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Doh!--I just asked this very question

Shoulda read the board first!
Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Anyone know why Dodge/Cummins hasn't done something about the electrical current draw down during heater grid cycling at engine IDLE speed ??

It's NOT an issue when the engine speed is above say 1500 RPMS when the Alternator is putting out FULL Power, but as well ALL know the Alternator does NOT keep up with the electrical load during this time.

What are you're all thoughts on this ?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The system they use has been working fine for this long, why mess with success.
After all, we could have glow plugs. (and all the problems that go along with that)
The heaters stop cycling after you drive to ~25 mph.
Also Cummins doesn't recommend extended periods of time idling at cold temps.
A fast idle has been incorporated into the newer model years.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 AM

If I remember right, I think the heaters draw about 90 amps.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:15 AM

I actually heard 200 amps.....
Old 12-09-2006, 11:05 PM

WOW!! TOO COOL!!! I just had to replace both die hard bateries that were in my truck when I bought it back in 01. Then when I started it up, the Mrs. and I noticed the dimming headlights and drop on the volt meter. I told her that this was probably the alt and we will soon lokng for a new one. NOW!!! I read this and told her about it and she is again, impressed with this truck!!! (ME TOO!!!)
Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Just thought I'd mention that I dont think GM or Ford uses glow plugs.
Hmmm - don't know about the Duramax, but prior GM's do have glow plugs, and believe me - they gotta be working to get 'em started...
Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM

is this fused so that you can disconnect it?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 AM

yeah yesterday morning it was 34. only had my truck a week today. i was sitting there and saw my gauges and radio dimming and the votage dropping just a little bit. been wondering what it was. now i dont' have to worry bout it! good thread guys!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Shovel, since you posted it I figure you'll know about it. I know Cummins doesn't recomment the higher idles for long periods but the fast idle on the new trucks, does that have an automatic shut off after a period of time or after it hits a certain temp?

Also, sicne the ford boys have been dropping in, I was wondering if any of ya'll knew if the new 6.4s have glow plugs or heating grids. I have heard things both ways but haven't witnessed it first hand. We still don't have any 6.4s in the area, nor 6.7s so I'm still waiting to get my hands on both. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Voltage Drop / Lights Dimming on Cold Start