Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VB Only???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VB Only???

I'm looking for some advice here. My truck has 137,000 miles on it and the trans still works good. I'm thinking of upgrading it some and was wondering if a DTT valve body would do it some good or do I HAVE to replace the TC also? I don't want to dump alot of $$$$ in it right now with so many miles on it and am trying to get off the cheapest way.

I can get some shudder when lugging it, so I was going to tighten the bands this weekend and thought I might as well put in a DTT valve body while I'm in there. What do ya'll think?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 AM

I'm not sure you have to put a TC in, but I just put a Goerend converter and valve body in mine and Dave highly recomended that I put in a billet apply lever for the front band. Your best bet is to call them and see what they recommend.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM

Valve Body alone will help a great deal. DTT is one of the best. Big Blue has been running just a DTT VB for 6 mos and at 400 hp...with good success!

Call Stephan...at DTT. he's very nice and easy to talk to. Tell him where you are, HP/towing wise, and where your heading. He will set you up with a VB to carry you till you can do more!
http://www.dieseltrans.com/

RJ
Old 05-31-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for DAVE!! The shudder "might" go away with the VB if it is in lockup. You do not have to do a converter too, but it will make a HUGE difference in your truck.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 AM

Well, I talked to the experts at DTT and they said to save my money and not to lug it below 1500rpms. She said that some trucks do not respond well to power boxes and programmers and to run the rpms up and not let it labor below 1500rpms. Makes sense to me and I will heed her advice and see what happens.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, two monthes ago I put in a SMR sift kit, I have been very happy with it!

Bob
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

I'm loving my DTT vb. Like Rjohnson said, I've been running 400hp on a VB designed for 350 with good success. Now mind you I can get some shudder with the comp turned all the way up but that's because I'm far beyond what it was designed for. When I was just running a comp and 275's (which it was built for) I had no shudder at all not matter how bad I lugged it. I agree with what DTT told you though. Don't lug it. Lugging is bad for the tranny, engine, and EGT's anyways. When I talked to Stefan at DTT he told me that a converter and vb could trash the front pump and recommended against the TC. He did recommend the beefier gear lever and strut and I'm glad I did that cause after looking at the factory parts it's no wonder they fail.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
When I talked to Stefan at DTT he told me that a converter and vb could trash the front pump and recommended against the TC. He did recommend the beefier gear lever and strut and I'm glad I did that cause after looking at the factory parts it's no wonder they fail.
against the TC?

cant i run a vb and Tc? from DTT
Old 06-01-2006, 12:57 AM

I'm loving my DTT vb. Like Rjohnson said, I've been running 400hp on a VB designed for 350 with good success. Now mind you I can get some shudder with the comp turned all the way up but that's because I'm far beyond what it was designed for. When I was just running a comp and 275's (which it was built for) I had no shudder at all not matter how bad I lugged it. I agree with what DTT told you though. Don't lug it. Lugging is bad for the tranny, engine, and EGT's anyways. When I talked to Stefan at DTT he told me that a converter and vb could trash the front pump and recommended against the TC. He did recommend the beefier gear lever and strut and I'm glad I did that cause after looking at the factory parts it's no wonder they fail.
Which VB are you using, on the DTT website they have three listed, towing series, livestock series and hotrod series. I was also talking to stefen and he said that a VB and TC would help but recomended to freshen it up for alot more money than i planed on spending, all i want is the edge juice/attitude but every tranny shop i talk to says to do alot more work.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 AM

a converter and vb could trash the front pump and recommended against the TC.
What??? Explain that one to me?????
Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by S.Dodge
I was also talking to stefen and he said that a VB and TC would help but recomended to freshen it up for alot more money than i planed on spending, all i want is the edge juice/attitude but every tranny shop i talk to says to do alot more work.

Parts = Profit
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

I can't explain it cause I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to throw around bad information. I'm just relaying information. You'd have to talk to Stefan about that but I clearly remember asking him for a TC and VB and he wouldn't sell me the TC because of the front pump.

S.Dodge, I'm not quite sure on which VB I'm running. Probably the performance one but I'm not sure. It was semi custom built for my application so it might be a mix of all three.

Guys/gals, please don't let this turn into a tranny war thread. I'm just relaying information as best as my memory allows. All I know is Stefan wouldn't sell me a TC for fear of the front pump and his Vb is holding more power than I ever thought possible. If yall want technical stuff call him.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

All I know is Stefan wouldn't sell me a TC for fear of the front pump and his Vb is holding more power than I ever thought possible. If yall want technical stuff call him.
Well said Tyler...

I think the fact that Stefan didn't sell him the TC says a lot. A VB is a big upgrade by itself. (holding the power BB is putting down not to mention the "use" he gives it...)

And DTT was trying to do the right thing, and not sell him everything they could.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:42 AM

If theres any way that you can swing the $$$$ I'd say go ahead and get a TC also. When I ordered my TC and VB from Dave Goerend, he strongly recommended a billet apply lever because of the added pressure that comes with the VB. To put the new apply lever in you have to pull the transmission, so if you can go ahead and put a good TC in there while the tranny is out. If youre doing it by yourself it could save you a LOT of time and frustration.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 PM

I can't explain it cause I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to throw around bad information. I'm just relaying information. You'd have to talk to Stefan about that but I clearly remember asking him for a TC and VB and he wouldn't sell me the TC because of the front pump.

S.Dodge, I'm not quite sure on which VB I'm running. Probably the performance one but I'm not sure. It was semi custom built for my application so it might be a mix of all three.

Guys/gals, please don't let this turn into a tranny war thread. I'm just relaying information as best as my memory allows. All I know is Stefan wouldn't sell me a TC for fear of the front pump and his Vb is holding more power than I ever thought possible. If yall want technical stuff call him.
How much more was the custom VB than the listed price, I might look in to it if it's worth the money.

Quick Reply: VB Only???