Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo Master Wastegate Controller Install Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Master Wastegate Controller Install Article

Diesel Truck Resource has just published a new article on the Turbo Master wastegate controller. Lary Ellis, our staff writer has been testing the controller for a couple of weeks now, and here is the result:<br><br>Click here for the article
Old 02-26-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Turbo Master Wastegate Controller Install Article

Good article Top!<br><br>I'm curious though, I don't see a fueling box in your signature. Do you have one? If not, did setting the TM for 28PSI set off an overboost code? <br><br>Tony
Old 02-26-2003, 12:47 PM

A good article but . . . I am a novice at exactly how diesels work so I also have a question. I think I understand the reduction in EGT (which is opposite a gas rig!) but I am trying to figure out how an increase in pressure without an increase in fuel resulted in any significant increase in performance? I am not questioning your results, just trying to learn why it works that way. Any info would be appreciated.<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>(reading and learning)
Old 02-26-2003, 01:35 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=7;threadid=11507;start=0#109381 date=1046281501]<br>Good article Top!<br><br>I'm curious though, I don't see a fueling box in your signature. Do you have one? If not, did setting the TM for 28PSI set off an overboost code? <br><br>Tony<br>[/quote]<br><br>I believe he said in the article that he has a 96 12V so no problems with computer codes!<br>Great Article I will be looking into one soon.<br><br>DRecu!
Old 02-26-2003, 01:37 PM

Ahhhhhhh... I don't know anything about the undervalvers! ;D <br><br>Tony
Old 02-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Turbo Master Waste-gate Controller Install Article

Is true with a 96 12valve no codes to consider by raising boost.

This is how Bill Heath at Turbo-Master explains my increase in performance without a fueling increase.

Part of the power increase I am feeling is due to the fact that the added boost has an effect on the AFC assembly of the pump. The stock AFC spring adjustment, typically would require 30-34 psi boost to allow the follower enough travel to get all the way to the fuel stop plate.

Increasing boost in an other wise stock engine, this AFC spring is shoved a little further which allows for additional fuel. More boost (greater airflow) and more fuel-- Bingo

I will be adding a fuel plate later on in another part of the article series.

The Turbo- Master really comes into it's own though when you add more fuel to the equation.

Thanks Bill Heath for your guidance along the way!

( A side note to Boss Hog,)
The increase of power I felt just by the increased boost alone was not a big jump. More a noticeably snappier response in the throttle and overall performance of the truck.

To get a real increase will still require a larger fueling plate in the 12 valve engine. This is coming
Old 02-26-2003, 03:35 PM

I got my Turbo-master 24A 2 weeks ago from Bill (this is the new one for the hy-35 in the 01-02 automatics) What I was most impressed with was the quality in the design and production. They give you all the gaskets and even an extra snap ring in case you damage the 1st one during fitting. No trips out to the hardware store with this one. The directions are the nicest I've ever seen-big writing &amp; big pictures (for my 45 yr old eyes) <br>Installation took about 15 minutes once turbo was off. Once its in the adjustment nut is right in front where you can get to it nice and easy. Got mine set to 30# right now, I'm waiting till my trans is done to push it, I'll post after its done. Great product, great customer service! <br>Tim
Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM

Top,<br> Thanks for the feedback Like I said, I'm a novice with diesels but I am a fast study ;D ;D ;D<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>(skoollen in Floridah)
Old 03-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I went out and turned up a little more pressure today, only took me a minute to do it. <br><br> I really like the design of this thing, well thought out engineering really pays off in the finished product.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:55 PM

Me and gonzo put mine on a while back . i dont have a fueling box yet but i do have it adjusted right at the factory max for boost according to the directions. I havent set any codes yet and have been doing a lot of hauling the last two weeks. it was easy to instal and has worked very well
Old 03-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

As far as I understand this device it takes exhaust gas pressure to open or close the wastegate and not the actual boost pressure. <br>So my question is: Has anybody noted any ill side effects of doing so ???<br>Just asking, because actually this device actually looks cheaper to me than the original wastegate setup. (Speaking in terms of mass production and at the same quality level) So my question is why didn't Holset go this way ???<br><br>I do not intend to bash this device. Actually I have only seen pictures of it and I'd like to find out more.<br><br>TIA<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-02-2003, 03:33 PM
dad

Just had to jump in. The Turbo-Master is a simple, fully mechanical device designed to give its user the ability to set and control boost pressure wherever he wants it (within the range and capability of the turbocharger / engine combination). The T-M applies a spring force to the waste gate valve to keep it on its seat to a predetermined turbine inlet pressure. When that pressure is reached, exhaust gas is forced past the waste gate valve. <br>The T-M, working in conjunction with the waste gate valve form a simple, pressure relief system that effectivley limits the turbine inlet pressure to control turbine speed and boost output pressure.<br>In any case, each turbocharger has its design limits and it should be operated within those limits for max efficient output. T-M installation instruction provide guidelines to suggested pressure settings.<br>Thank you<br>Love Dad
Old 03-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Administrator

We love you too, Dad. <br><br>Dad would be Bill, the gentleman who designed the Turbo Master.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 PM

Hi dad<br>Tim
Old 03-02-2003, 07:28 PM
dad

Tim,<br>Several folks here remembered a seeing shipment to Warwick and we were concerned about you. Glad to see you are still kicking!

Quick Reply: Turbo Master Wastegate Controller Install Article