Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo HTB62 or 64

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo HTB64 or II PS 64

I was wondering if anyone is running either of these turbo's.

Let me know what you like and dislike.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assume your comparing the Killer B/64 with the PS64. I have not seen that version of the HTT turbo but the Phat Shaft is impressive. Saw Jim Fulmers - he is using it as the top half of twins. Don't know what turbine housing he has but it works well. Nice quality.
I have an HX-55, with a 64mm compressor/14 cm2, which I believe would drive similarly. IMO, you might be a little short on fuel to spin that much turbo.
Even if this is not the case, if coming from a stock turbo, you will be looking at a big difference in spoolup time.
Just my thoughts...personal expirience with either turbo about which you asked...None.
RJ
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Chapter President

Any information is welcome. Thanks RJ. I have the transmission part of the HP puzzle taken care of, now I'm looking at injectors and turbos. From everything thing I've read the PS 64 is a good turbo as well as HTT's. Just trying to see if anyone could shed some more light on the difference between the two, if there is any?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Assume your comparing the Killer B/64 with the PS64. I have not seen that version of the HTT turbo but the Phat Shaft is impressive. Saw Jim Fulmers - he is using it as the top half of twins. Don't know what turbine housing he has but it works well. Nice quality.
I have an HX-55, with a 64mm compressor/14 cm2, which I believe would drive similarly. IMO, you might be a little short on fuel to spin that much turbo.
Even if this is not the case, if coming from a stock turbo, you will be looking at a big difference in spoolup time.
Just my thoughts...personal expirience with either turbo about which you asked...None.
RJ
Good post, RJ.

There's a lot more to a turbo than just dimensions (compressor/turbine sizes, housings, etc). Imo, the details machined into a I.I. turbo make the difference.

For example, the B1 compressors are only in the lower 60s for diameter (62mm, IIRC). This is very close to an HX40 61mm compressor.

Yet the B1 compressor will move a LOT more air, even with practically the same diameter.

So when dealing with a high-quality turbo like those from Industrial Injection, you might not be able to make comparisons based on diameter.

It's quite possible that an I.I or HTT turbo could even move more air than an H2E or HX55, even with the same compressor diameter.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
RJ
RJ, Cody's running a Killer B 64/14 on his first gen... Well.. stacked on the B2 of course...
Bryan
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Chapter President

From what I understand these turbos are built using a S300 in some form. Back when folks first started using the S300 the talk was about surge. Is this still a concern? From what was told to me, the PS 64 will support large amounts of fueling.

I've also heard some good things about the "Killer B2" as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Mike, I know that the early Killer B's (64/14) had some surging problems.. and HTT sent them new turbos.. At least the one I was around was handled that way.. That is the advantage of purchasing a turbo from some place like HTT or II.. they have worked the bugs out of the turbos...
Bryan
Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM

mike d,
i just installed the htb2/62, with my mods(see sig)going from the stock 35 to this turbo, the first time i jumped on it, it felt like "God Had Kicked The Bumper"!!! this turbo put a big smile on my face. the reason i went to this turbo was to lower my egts, because the stock 35 could not handle the heat.
but with that said, i am still able to swing the pyro off the guage, i have a fueling problem that i cant seem to figure out, bad injectors, need more timming, or something very out of adjustment. the turbo is great i would still have gone this route. paul and denise @htt are very nice and are having me check in with them almost daily till i figure out the fueling problem. cant beat that kind of customer service. Mark
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM

My lowly 1st gen spools HTT's 66-14 real nice. 1st gens make no power !!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM

I'm running the HTT Killer B2 and love it! Went from a stocker to the 64/14. Just dyno'd at 434 hp and 870 tq and barely smoked (a little shy on fuel). It made a 40 hp jump from my previous dyno and I have zero EGT concerns.

It also has an awesome "whistle"

I would highley recommend this turbo and HTT.

Marty
Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 AM

"MSquare"
Do you use your truck for towing? Curious how that turbo does, I have the HTB2 62/12 and It work ok but I'm wanting to switch to the 64/14 and have some concerns when towing my jeep.

I have to agree with the Customer Service @ HTT. Paul is great.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MSquare
I'm running the HTT Killer B2 and love it! Went from a stocker to the 64/14. Just dyno'd at 434 hp and 870 tq and barely smoked (a little shy on fuel). It made a 40 hp jump from my previous dyno and I have zero EGT concerns.

It also has an awesome "whistle"

I would highley recommend this turbo and HTT.

Marty
What truck do you have Marty? I want to buy this exact turbo this Jan.-Feb.

Do you have an auto or manual?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm running the HTB2 62/12, I love it. spools good and keeps the EGT's in check on 5x5.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 PM

I just installed my 62/14, replacing a Piers hybrid HX-35. There is no difference in lag what-so-ever between the two (my Piers has the 16cm n/wastegated housing). The difference is when the boost hits, and the force it hits with. Very, very nice. A little smoke with the TST on level 5 until the boost hits, then nothing. Haven't tried level 9 yet.
I don't like the "whistle" it emits. The minute boost starts building, it starts whistling. I spent some time today and patched the 4 inch hole in my firewall where my Scotty used to reside, then placed several layers of DynaMat on the firewall around the area my AFE cannon now resides. Went for another drive tonight and the sound is much more tolerable; almost exactly like my HX under throttle.
My EGT's overall are higher at partial throttle. The difference becomes noticeable with greater amounts of sustained throttle and more boost. Climb much slower that with the HX. On level 5, I haven't been over 1050 before I'm at 100 mph. Level 9 will be the freak.
Overall, it is quite impressive how this turbo, stacked boxes, and "just" RV275's can move an 8000lb truck.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
htt 62/14

with a #10 plate slid forward and with gov arm adjusted ......with 370's on top i couldn't keep my smoke down on the bottom end actually all through the rpm range ect, went back to 215's for now. towing the turbo is great because with a load once she's at 8psi+ it cooks fairly clean ....still a decent haze at sea level works well with a load for mid range definately better than my old hx35 used to be keeping things fairly under control at high altitude shes still smokey. EGTs are ok still with little effort can pin it right past 1300. its like driving a hx35 with 18.5 exhaust housing

it likes 15-35 psi about 40 psi she buries the pyro and being under a load a constant rpm in the 1800-2300 range. unfortunately WOT & for the most part passing on a hill loaded EGTs are pinned imeadiately so i still havent got her dialed yet also off the line shes slow but i knew that would be the case i try and keep her clean off the line for the smog *****. mid range when she hits she hits hard, if you wack it at 1800 rpm on dry pavement at 55 mph it will spin the 35's instantly then hook and boogie. the whistle is loud im thinking the same thing about plugging my hole on my cowl.

not i dont have gov springs and have a serious bad habit of shifting at 2000- then shes back at 1500 and has to struggle a little to get the boost back up. trying to break myself of this habit.

great turbo for the highway. stop and go stuff be prepared to feather things alot till you can get her spooled up. i think it would like a 24v better than my 12v just because of my peak hp range and the rpms, air flow, ect

Quick Reply: Turbo HTB62 or 64