Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which turbo do you reccommend??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which turbo do you reccommend??

Just wondering which turbo I should get for my truck? I know I need to upgrade the turbo but don't really know which one is right for my application. I have a 2001 3/4 ton 4x4, auto. I have already added an edge comp box, "stage 5 injector nozzles" which are rated at 155 hp, AFE air filter, and 3 pod pillar gauges, and obviously the truck can run hot if I push it.
I plan to add FASS pump, 4 or 5" exhaust, and obviously trans. upgrades in the very near future. I think I need a turbo now so that is why I am asking, so I can go ahead and buy one now that will be perfect later.
I don't pull heavy very often. Mainly motorcycle trailer (weekly) and occasionally car hauler or cattle trailer (maybe twice a year). I mainly like to red light race, or drag race, but this truck will be a daily street driver. My plan is that I probably will run with the comp off most of the time, then turn it on when needed.....stroker or duramax in the other lane!!!
Some have suggested a B1 turbo, but others say hx40. Let me know what you think, I am getting ready to start buying these upgrades soon. Thanks....Danny
Old 04-14-2005, 07:40 AM

You will need at least a Sledpuller 66 or a full B1 variant if not one of JRs hybrids with that much fuel. I would also highly recommend a mad ecm.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mcoleman
You will need at least a Sledpuller 66 or a full B1 variant if not one of JRs hybrids with that much fuel. I would also highly recommend a mad ecm.
I would be reluctant to run a Full B-1 with any auto...even with the MAD ECM. For street/daily driving and light pulling I would look at an HTT HTB2 with a 14 cm housing. Maybe Killer b-2 with 14 cm if top end is important.

I feel HTT has passed B-1 in all categories...incl. customer service. They build basically the same tubo for less. With anything bigger than the HTB2, I would be concerned about slow spoolup and smoke. Smoke...especially...depending on which brand of injectors you are getting.

RJ
Old 04-14-2005, 02:04 PM

The HTB2 with a 14 is probably not going to keep him cool. I ran that and could hit 1600+ on a pass in the 1/4 with my drag comp on 5X5 with Mach 3s. I loved the responsiveness but it just wouldn't cool my truck off. The Sledpuller 66 will be a little smoky and isn't for towing heavy but works well on my truck. And after installing the Mad ecm it now spools comparable to the HTB2. Now if my bigger injectors will just get here I'll get to see what the Sledpuller is really made out of. I will say again that the Sledpuller 66 is not for towing heavy the HTB2 handled heavy loads much better than my sledpuller it just got warm when on the mat. With the Sledpuller I have to drop into 3rd and bring the rpms up with a heavy load in the hills although it seems like I will not be doing that with the ecm in now. I also like their customer service and turbo offerings better than the other people out there.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:24 PM

mcoleman

I figured you would come back at what I said. No flame intended but with my talks with Paul at HTT, I thought he said a SP66 would be much slower to spool than a HTB2 with even a 14cm housing...so I'm just confused.

The two reasons I recommended an HTB2 to Danny were no DRAG Comp and his interest in low speed performance. but I've never even seen any of the HTB2's so your thoughts are more valid then mine.

I wish HTT were closer...They have me very interested. But I went through the "Best guess" senario with 2 different b-1's...not doing that again.

RJ
Old 04-14-2005, 03:38 PM

The sledpuller is slower spooling but if he is willing to buy an ecm he will like it. The HTB2 is an awesome turbo and for anyone not wanting to hit the 600hp mark with a single it's the little number you need. I jumped straight from the HTB2 to the sledpuller and skipped the killerB since I had larger aspirations in the near future. Those guys are great to deal with. RJ your welcome to drive my truck and see what you think of the sledpuller anytime your in the Springfield area if you think you might be interested in one. We are setup pretty much the same as I have Mach 4.somethings on order also.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:53 PM

I also went from the standard htb2 with the 12cm housing to the sledpuller. The sledpuller does not spool near as fast on my truck, but, is still quick to spool. The killerb2 is between the htb2 and the sledpuller.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:12 PM

I'd talk to JR about his Schwitzer or maybe even his lil55. The Schwitzer flows more than an HX40 but spools almost as fast as a stocker, while the lil55 is like the next step up from a B1 (spools quicker, though).
Chris
Old 04-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Personally I like the B-1's. They are proven and work very well...... The HTT products have a huge following but personally I feel that the exhaust side of the HTT line is too restrictive. I know that I put together a truck last fall that dynoed over 590HP with a B-1, Edge Comp, and Mach 6's. This truck could pull a 8K trailer with no heat issues with the comp turned down.

Doug
Old 04-16-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Jetpilot
Personally I like the B-1's. I put together a truck last fall that dynoed over 590HP with a B-1, Edge Comp, and Mach 6's. This truck could pull a 8K trailer with no heat issues with the comp turned down.
Doug
Which B-1 did the towing truck use? Automatic? Have you ever seen or driven an auto with a Full B-i?
RJ
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 AM

The turbo is a full B-1. I have a DTT tranny with a 91% converter...... Normally I recommend a B-1-2 for auto's below 400 HP but once you go above that the full B-1 will actually cool the engine better.

Doug
Old 04-16-2005, 03:04 PM

Jetpilot

The only Full B-1, auto, I ever drove had 0 Psi at 60 mpg....and I think even at 70 mph. Doesn't this result in lots of smoke when towing 8K? I'm sure it cools well but what about spoolup and street manors?
Do you have any non stock goodies (from Piers) that make the full B-1 work so well?
RJ
Old 04-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Hmmm, something doesn't sound right on the truck you drove. Mine makes around 5-6 lbs boost (level ground) @ 60-65 mph. Spoolup is fine, I would compare it to a standard HX-40. Smoke can be easily controlled, I normally drive mine with the comp on 3X3 and I use mach 2.5's foreveryday driving. There are no parts by Piers that would help with spoolup or boost. This turbo really works well but on the same hand I would not recommend a full B-1 for someone who lives at a high altitude, there a B-1-2 or even a KSB-1 might be the answer.

I have run several trucks with the B series turbo and I am really fond of them. They do not have the surging issues that some other turbos have. They are tough as heck, I used one B-1 that saw well over 60 lbs through it continually (don't know how high it really went as I only had a 60 lb gauge) and hit it with nitrous and it stayed together........

There are several good turbos being made now that are good. What is important is to determine what is the most critical items the owner needs from a turbo and match the correct charger to them and their truck. This is not a one size fits all. To some spoolup is everything, others its egt's, then there max power, and some guys (believe it or not) are into the turbo noise!

Just my $.02 worth

Doug
Old 04-17-2005, 11:33 AM

What's different on the exhaust side from a htt turbo and a b1? I know the b1's use two different size exhaust wheels, along with different housings. Htturbo says they can turn a b1 into one of their htb2's.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Jetpilot
Hmmm, something doesn't sound right on the truck you drove. Mine makes around 5-6 lbs boost (level ground) @ 60-65 mph. Spoolup is fine, I would compare it to a standard HX-40.....
Doug
Interesting! My KSB-1, with an EX-4, makes 4 psi boost at 60 mph (level ground) and 6 psi at 70....with me and full fuel at 7600 lbs. I would expect a full B-1 to be less. Gauges...as well as trucks & trannys vary, I guess?
I'm also curious about your comments on HTT. Are you saying they produce spoolup with turbine exhaust restriction?

RJ

Quick Reply: Which turbo do you reccommend??