Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST Powermax

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST Powermax

Does the TST Powermax (1) control timing and fuel? Does it provide boost fooling if turned off?

Randy
Old 08-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tst powermax does fueling only and yes it does take care of the boost fooling
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 PM

How about the Van Aaken Smart Box R?

Randy
Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Randy,

I'm not sure about the Van Aaken, but the TST is a fuel only box as Bob mentioned. The TST MAP harness provides the boost fooling even if the box itself is in the off position. I still have my stock charger and even with the bigger injestors (PM3 off) I still don't see boost much over stock. Maybe 24psi-26psi. With the PM3 on it's another story.

If you are seriously considering the TST you must get gauges, a clutch capable of supporting the power, and a fuel pump that will support the TST.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Muted User

FWIW, I ran a TST PM3 on setting 9 for two years and prob 40,000 miles with the stock lift pump and the stock clutch with zero problems.

In my opinion, this is not the box to get. I feel it is entirely too lazy to add fuel early. It is 50 state legal for a reason.... its lazy. I stacked mine with an EZ to get the performance that I would have enjoyed, had I just gotten an Edge Comp. Then I sent it in to be converted to a TST PM3 competition version. All that did was make setting 4 or 5 like what 9 used to be and there is no difference between 5 through 9.

The above are my personal opinions, do with them what you like.

KP
Old 08-02-2005, 08:51 PM

thanks Smokin. I do have gauges. I also have an upgraded luke clutch (not cermetalic, it's slightly larger disc and 500 psi higher clamp). They claim it will hold 100 # above stock. They had no absolute numbers though just gauge. We'll see after I get injectors along with which ever box. I am a pretty easy driver so I might have a chance. As for the pump I will have to r2 my LP soon; As soon I as we find a second truck I am going to take mine down for the rear end, injectors, LP relocation/fuel line inlargement, and probably the B.B. pilot bearing. I don't have the money for a clutch replacement after everything else. Thankds for the info.

Randy
Old 08-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the Comp programming has been changed in the last few years, the TST stacked with an EZ produces slightly more power than the Comp. Even the old original 3 level Edge box stacked with the EZ did better than the Comp. The "drag" Comp may be a different story.

On the ETH engine, there isn't much difference in the upper settings of any feuling box because of the VP44. The differences do get amplified when larger injectors are used. ETC engines respond much better to fueling boxes than ETH engines do.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 600 Megawatts
FWIW, I ran a TST PM3 on setting 9 for two years and prob 40,000 miles with the stock lift pump and the stock clutch with zero problems.

In my opinion, this is not the box to get. I feel it is entirely too lazy to add fuel early. It is 50 state legal for a reason.... its lazy. I stacked mine with an EZ to get the performance that I would have enjoyed, had I just gotten an Edge Comp. Then I sent it in to be converted to a TST PM3 competition version. All that did was make setting 4 or 5 like what 9 used to be and there is no difference between 5 through 9.

The above are my personal opinions, do with them what you like.

KP
The flip side to this is that the TST should be easier to control the smoke if you are running significantly larger injectors.

I'll probably order a custom programmed TST, which brings the fuel in earlier (like the TST competition version does), but still limits overall fueling to the 63% or so of the stock TST.

The regular TST doesn't fuel until 3psi of boost. It adds NO fuel off-boost. That's why it can feel "lazy".

The TST competition starts the fuel at 0.5psi of boost. It will smoke a lot more. Again, no off-boost fueling.

In contrast, the Edge box will dump up to 66% (sublevel 5) of available fueling at ZERO boost! This gives it more bottom end response, and also increases smoke.

If it's off-boost fuel you want, you can't do better than the Catcher ECM.

I tried a catcher and loved the response, but was frustrated at my lack of driving smoothness with it. I'd still recommend it, and I'm still considering it.

HOwever, I'll probably go with a TST just to help the driving smoothness.