Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

traction bars mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traction bars mount?

I was laying under my truck trying to figure out how I was gunna make some traction bars. There is plenty of room on the passenger side but the driver side is tight. There is room between the fuel tank and transfer case but that is where my lift pump is. So where do you guys mount your bars at? Pics would help. Where do you get the mounting hardware to attatch it to the axel or can you make that too?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to my thread. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...on+bars+blocks
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM

J lent thanks for the link, good stuff. I have some more questions, looks like you followed the drive shaft angle, but I thought that you are suppose to keep them level to the ground? Have you had any issues with them yet? I can't tell where on the frame you mounted them, was it after the tranfer case cross member? The longer the better right? With your setup does it allow your suspenstion to travel correctly?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flatbed24v
J lent thanks for the link, good stuff. I have some more questions, looks like you followed the drive shaft angle, but I thought that you are suppose to keep them level to the ground? Have you had any issues with them yet? I can't tell where on the frame you mounted them, was it after the tranfer case cross member? The longer the better right? With your setup does it allow your suspenstion to travel correctly?
My bars work great, I've sled pulled, towed 16k, DD & no problems yet. My bars mount way forward of driveshaft angle. Here is a pic [side view].
Attachment 25649
traction bars mount?-truck32.jpg

traction bars mount?-sd531426.jpg

traction bars mount?-sd531425.jpg
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 PM

thanks for the extra pics, but does it let your suspention ( I can't spell by the way) fully travel correctly or will it have that "S" bend to it? The reason I ask is cause I was told that, that is the down fall to bars. I take it then that I need to get them close to level as I can, thanks again for the help!!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 PM

sorry but got an other question, the first few pics in the other thread( the thing with the red handle pin), is that an adjustable bump stop? If so how does it work? Do you only use it on the sled?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 AM

I was looking at "Johnny Joints" and the biggest I could find was 2 1/2" with an 1 1/2" threaded stud and a 5/8 bolt threw the middle of it. Is that 5/8" bolt gunna be stout enough???
Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

thanks for the extra pics, but does it let your suspention ( I can't spell by the way) fully travel correctly or will it have that "S" bend to it? The reason I ask is cause I was told that, that is the down fall to bars. I take it then that I need to get them close to level as I can, thanks again for the help!!
I'm not sure if the suspension would be affected unless you are doing extreme rock crawling. I haven't had any problems doing off camber turns, like going down steep hills with 16k in tow & making a turn right or left onto level ground. I don't think it affects travel for street driving, but it sure improves handeling.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

sorry but got an other question, the first few pics in the other thread( the thing with the red handle pin), is that an adjustable bump stop? If so how does it work? Do you only use it on the sled?
Yep, they are only used for sled. I just pull the pin & I have 3 adjustable settings 1" suspension travel, 2" & solid suspension. I've only pulled once with them & they worked well.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

I was looking at "Johnny Joints" and the biggest I could find was 2 1/2" with an 1 1/2" threaded stud and a 5/8 bolt threw the middle of it. Is that 5/8" bolt gunna be stout enough???
What kinda tubing are you using? I have 2" DOM tubing with 1" inside. I am using 5/8" hardware with 1 1/8 threads.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
What kinda tubing are you using? I have 2" DOM tubing with 1" inside. I am using 5/8" hardware with 1 1/8 threads.
I don't know what I am gunna use yet, I am just studding your pics trying to figure it out. I haven't been by our metal shop to look at anything yet. So if you got any advice, I would love to hear it.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM

is there a certain reason yours are threaded on both ends? Do you have to adjust it or can it be solid?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

is there a certain reason yours are threaded on both ends? Do you have to adjust it or can it be solid?
They should be adjustable. I did alot of research before building mine & I built them using many different opinions in consideration. I'm just a hillbilly with a welder, I can't talk theory, but I can build by example.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

I don't know what I am gunna use yet, I am just studding your pics trying to figure it out. I haven't been by our metal shop to look at anything yet. So if you got any advice, I would love to hear it.
Most guys will tell you to use DOM tubing [Drawn over mandrel] because it has no seams. Others will say that you need a minimum of schedule 80 for single bars. Some guys have used square tubing & others build ladder bars. I prefer the DOM because I like overkill....If you couldn't tell by my pics. All my plates are made of 1/2" steel, most guys use 3/8" or even 1/4".
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM

ya, I like over kill myself and I am gunna use 1/2" plate as well. I take it that 2" Dom is over kill too? If so I will have to get some. So did you just bolt yours up then tighten it up some to take out the slack?

Quick Reply: traction bars mount?