Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

tips for installing 2" spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tips for installing 2" spacers

Ok, i'm sure this is been around quite a bit, so i figured someone has it down to a science. I have the 2" spacers from Top gun customs, and the instructions are very veague. What are the tricks to doing this as smoothly and timely as possible. I' m thinking of tackling it this weekend, and want to make sure i have everything. This is my ride, and can't afford to let it sit too long. (many reasons, most not mine.) I did a search, and only found basically brand sugestions for the most part. Also, i plan to put the Hankook mt03 mt 315 70 16 on stock rims. Am i still going to have rubbing issues? Thanks for the help, as this forum is the best i have come accross for these trucks.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 PM

I just put some in my 01 about three weeks ago. i took the track bar off at the frame, removed the shock towers, sway bar end links. drop the front axle as far as it would go but the upper control arms were hitting the mounts on the axle. i had to use a coil spring compresser. to put the springs back in with the spacer in. hope this helps
Old 09-08-2007, 03:09 PM

I put the same spacers on my 01. Like stated above you have to have a coil spring compressor to get it done. Should be able to have it back in about 4 to 6 hours at most.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM

the toughest part for me was sneaking the shock on the driver's side out with the shock mount on it.the stud on the top of my shocks needed penatrating oil and an impact.i never unbolted my track bar and swaybar end links.i just ended up unbolting my swaybar from the frame because my end links looked a little rusted.also watch for the wire's and hoses going to the rear end,don't want to stress them to much.i didn't have to compress the coils that much,but still a must to get it done
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 AM

When I did my springs, I removed the upper shock mounts, lifted the shocks out the top. Put the frame up on jackstands, and removed the wheels. Disconnected the sway bar, and let the jack lower the axle slowly, be careful about the breather hose, 4X4 vacuum lines, and brake lines (I also removed the lower brake hose mounting bracket), and also had to disconnect one end of the control arms. Don't mess with the adjustment end! And even then I had to "persuade" one spring into place.
After I gained that 2.5" of lift, I realized the shock was nearly completely extended, and since the shocks were nearly new, I shortened the upper shock mount by 2 inches, to give me back the travel.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 AM

If i put a spring compressor on the springs BEFORE i lower the axle, will it be compressed enough to put back in with the spacers inplace?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM

ive never used compressors doing them......i use a single old leaf spring,just use it like shoe-horn and when you have the spring pushed up almost in place,give it a kick...drops right in......bama
Old 09-09-2007, 01:04 PM

You don't need a spring compressor to get the old springs out, but you do need it to get the new ones in. New shocks would be nice. Soak all fasteners with PB Blaster before hand. Use properly rated jack stands and jack. Your truck is HEAVY, and you don't want it falling on you, your dog, or your helper.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM

A spring compressor is not needed. I put them in myself on my 01' 4x4, he's only putting in 2" not 3". I could see maybe needing it for 3" because it was tight for the 2" but I did do it.
Don't get me wrong it probably helps ALOT but it is not necessary...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM

I needed the spring compressor for my buddies '01. We lowered the axle as much as possible without disconnecting any lines or the control arms. It helped to disconnect the end links from the sway bar, too.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:11 PM

My question on the compressors was since the springs are compressed somewhat from beeing installed, if i attach the compressors to the springs before dropping the axle, left the compessors on the springs while laying on the floor, install the spacers, would the springs be compressed enough to go right back in, or would they need to be squeezed further. Maybe it sounds like i will be the first to try this meathod. I'm thinking then that i don't have to drop the axle as far and stress the lines and also make the job a little quicker. Harbor Freight sells heavy duty spring compessors for 12.00, does anyone have experiance with these? are they strong enough to do the job?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 AM

You could just rent one from AutoZone. They charge the cost of the tool to rent it, and then refund it when you return the tool.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 PM

im telling you,,you dont need compressors.take loose the sway bar,and track arm at the axle..leave the track arm till last on reinstall,when you get it all back together and tires on,let it down and you can turn the steering wheel to align the track arm hole........this is for 2 inchers,,id bet 3 inchers would be a chore without them...........bama