Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Timing boxes/programmers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing boxes/programmers...

I currently have the "old" Quadzilla Xzillaraider which is a fueling only box and i also have a superchips for the timing. I like the stack and the truck runs good with them. The programmer provides the off idle acceleration and the fueling box provides the top end. However, i dont run the superchips all the time because it makes the engine louder then normal. This is especially the case when its colder out. When the programmer is off the truck feels sluggish even under normal driving conditions.

my question is to you guys with timing boxes/programmers. does the additional timing make your engine significantly louder or is this a phenomenon related to the way the superchips adds timing?

EDIT: my preference isnt to find something for maximum performance. hence the reason i bought the superchips in the first place.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a quad xzilleraider box on my 03 and thought it added timing too. I have heard a timing rattle and called quad, they said it was normal so I dont know.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad doesnt make the box i have for 2nd gens anymore. It is definatly just a fueling box.

the noise im getting from the superchips just doesnt sound right, not that there is anything wrong. its just LOUD. as a matter of fact, i found out just how much louder the engine is yesterday while at Discount Tire. another 24v pulled in and i could barely tell the engine was running.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it has to do with Superchips programming, my truck sounded the same way when I had it stacked with a Edge comp. I started a thread about that issue & guys started hounding me about how both added timing. Then Marco [Smarty] posted in my thread saying "Superchips don't add timing". I asked for more info & got nothing. I totally trust Marco's opinion & bet my butt that he would know.