Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

threw a connecting rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
threw a connecting rod

i was on my way home from wyoming were im attending college. Anyways i stoped by my uncles, while getting ready to leave i started the truck when i heard a loud slamm and a metal snapping noise along with some clanking. instantly shut the truck off. i spent the rest of the week pulling the engine out and pulling apart. i was the 1 cylinder connecting rod. anyways im goin to rebuild the engine. im doin all dry film oil on the crank journals and am lookin at getting some modded connecting rods does anybody know who makes them. i heard somethin about f1 doin them but other than that ive come up empty. does anybody have after market connecting rods, im also looking at maybe having some crank mods, like knife edging or something to possibly help with rpms and acceleration. along with longevity. im getting pistons from arias they are flycut, im going to have them ceramic coated and silicone skirted. and total sill rings and maybe billet bridges for the valve train. im also having the oil pan coated in ptfe to keep th oil in the pan. and a bottom end girdle from hailsey machine and arp bolts all the way around. im going to do it right the first time and spend the money while im there. anyways i need some help with the connecting rods somebody send me some info please.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, any idea what caused the failure?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 PM

im not realy sure, good thing i have two cummins. but its not as fun driving the less moded one around.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of RPMs are you turning? Sounds like it's time to talk to the heavy-hitters like Schied or Enterprise.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 PM

with the cam 4g but dont ever bring it up that high no need to
Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 PM

i just spoke with a friend, cummins dragster, he is sending me a set of cummins connecting rods that are knife edged and a ton of other stuff he said they can handle up to 9,000 rpms at like 900 hp. and he said that i can have my crank fly cut and it should help with the rev ability of the engine alot easier to get high into rpm range. so that should get me goin i already have the pistons, billet bridges, and low end girdle. im just waitiing on all of the arp stuff. then the connecting rods and im bottoning her all up should be done by next weekend.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
BCB

do you have links for where you got all this stuff or who you got it from?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Chapter President

Man that sucks... Glad you can get er' all back togther and it should run even better.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 PM

Pics of said carnage please, kthxbye.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

You threw a connecting rod? Did it come out the side of the cylinder block? Is the cylinder block usable? Is the crank usable? did it spin a rod bearing and you caught it in time? Did the crank break? What do you think the failure mode was? This is my worst nightmare. Sounds like a fun rebuild though!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM

everything is in perfect condition except for the connecting rod it snapped clean in half ya bcb i got alot from hailsey machine. they taught a lesson at wyotech and i told him i was looking for a job and he said there were no positions i could fill at the time but if i need any parts call. so i ended up calling and the connecting rods are from one of the builders on the cummins dragster. that i have no info on.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 PM

i dont have any pics eaither i live in california and my uncle lives in wyoming otherwise i would post them. i was just as suprised as you when i pulled the pan. i was in amazement but i talked to cummins and they said every now and then a crank will break or a connecting rod from inpurity in the metal.i will have pics iin a little while i will put them on here. i still dont know what to say.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM

thats crazy, get us some pics ASAP
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
i dont have any pics eaither i live in california and my uncle lives in wyoming otherwise i would post them. i was just as suprised as you when i pulled the pan. i was in amazement but i talked to cummins and they said every now and then a crank will break or a connecting rod from inpurity in the metal.i will have pics iin a little while i will put them on here. i still dont know what to say.
I learned those blocks are pretty tough, I'm shocked though that it didn't say hello to the cylinder wall... ironically mine was #1 as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM

ya it was stuck in the very top of the cylinder and the bottom half just twirled around. it didnt doanything to the springs or anything i just started the truck when wham. i turned the key off instantly, i had to fly home. im pretty ****** but what do you do now i have to drive around my shortbed 12 valve. but hopefully i will get it up soon. i go backto wyoming in 2 months so we will see im waiting on parts.

Quick Reply: threw a connecting rod