Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Those using a DTT TC and VB...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those using a DTT TC and VB...

Are any of you guys using them in an otherwise stock tranny? How do you like them as far as shifting and around town driving goes? Any other opinions on them? How about mpg increases? Looking around to upgrade my stock TC and VB before I get into mods. Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Dtt

Well I dont know if this will completely answer your question or not but I went from a stock loose, inificient, slipping tranny to a full built DTT and should have done it long ago. It makes such a difference especially when pulling a load. I asked around for info on just a converter and vb but it was sugested that because there was 125k miles on the origonal tranny that to put in the vb and conv. without rebuilding the rest would not be a good idea. Any way if you do that Im sure you will be very pleased with the results. When you step on the pedal it will go and not just rev up to two thousand rpm while the speedo catches up to the tach. I think the milage will be better but the fuel gauge on this truck is not working now, besides up here in Canada our great wise leaders saw fit to switch us over to the meteric system and since then no one over forty knows what the heck is going on for distance, volume, temp, or anything else. So cant help you with fuel milage but Im sure it will improve with those mods to your tranny.Someone else is sure to come in and give you some sound info on this......regards B.M.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM

That does help. My drivetrain has around 93k miles on it but the trans still shifts great soo I don't think I'm in need of a complete overhaul yet. But I think I read somewhere that between a stock VB and stock converter can overheat and cause the fluid to become too thin and not properly lubricate and that's what causes many tranny failures. So if that's true I want to get a better VB and converter for better line pressure and cooling before it gets to the point of slipping and help increase the transmission life.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Yep wondering the same thing. Wanting to get rebuilt and put dtt tc and vb in also. If I also get hd kevlar clutches and bands and a deep pan that would more than hold up to a #10 plate and 3gsk wouldn't it.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am crossing information from several vendors and trying to put together that information that may be different due to how they build their own stuff and pecular to a 2000, but...... Dave mentioned last time that I was talking with him that for a single disc to hold ~400 hp the line pressure would be high enough to cause my 3 to 4 shift to be very rough. This was a result of the TC not unlocking prior to the shift. He indicated that this was on a 2000 and seemed to act like it wasn't on all models. He also said that the triple disc did not have the same afffliction. When I talked with Suncoast they had no concerns with dropping a TC and VB in my stock tranny (133k) and felt like it would last for a while if my tranny was good now. In contrast DTT recomended against it and said I could do it, but there would be no warranty on my VB and TC since I was putting in a higher mileage tranny. I may be all wet, but it seems that if you are going to do a TC and VB only on a higher mileage tranny a triple is the way to go. More pressure to help everything hold, but not as high as a single. Like I said, may be all wet.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 PM

I think you need to give Dave Goerend a call, (563) 778-2719. He has the best prices, a great product and TON'S of knowledge.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mchydro
I think you need to give Dave Goerend a call, (563) 778-2719. He has the best prices, a great product and TON'S of knowledge.
I emailed him giving him info on my truck and what he would suggest, I also asked for a price quote but didn't get a response yet. DTT prices are posted $975 for TC $450 for VB and installation kit. I'll probably end up going with whoever has the better price. From what I've read it seems like people are satisfied with both companies.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Goerend is very very busy and kinda hard to get a hold of but I have his prices in my head I know his single disk which is what is 975 from dtt is 650 without a billet cover and 800 with a billet cover and I think his VB is like 400 but I am not sure on that. I got his triple disk for 1050 so for 75 more than dtt you could have a triple disk. One time I could not get a hold of him and he called me on his cell phone while he was taking his daughter to piano practice, I am a nobody so I think that says he is a pretty down to earth guy too.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Funcruise,
I put a BD converter and a BD VB with 2nd gear lock up in my truck and it made a hugh difference in the way the truck took off and shifted. I had about 100,000 on the tranie at the time. When the tranie was apart the tranie guy decided not to change the clutches. Now I wanted him to do a rebuild but oh well he didn't. He wanted to save me money. Well about 60,000 miles later a snap ring behind the overdrive section broke and it started bouncing around in the tranie. I brought the truck to a local hot rod diesel guy and he went through the tranie. This time I told him that I wanted everything new! Don't save anything! He did a great job the tranie seems great.
I know I used different parts then your looking to use but while the tranie is out (That's the hard part) I would for sure have your guy freshen her up a bit. IMHO It's money well spent.
Good luck!
Topper
Old 05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Sending Dave G an Email might make you wait awhile for a response.
Give him a call, that's what I did.........
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 PM

Talking

I have DTT VB, TC, Master rebuild kit, Billet Accumulator & Servo. I highly reccomend it. I can't comment on mileage, only had it about 2 weeks and loving it. Give DTT a call.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM

As Funcruise said, you could do just a TC and VB, but depending on the current condition of your tranny you may want to opp for having it compeletly rebuilt. I originaly wanted just a VB and TC put in my truck, i only had 58K on my tranny at the time and it worked just fine. When scott at Mass Diesel pulled my tranny apart to do the install, the third gear clutches were all burnt up, so i had a complete DTT overhaul and build done, and as many people have said, it is the best investment i could ever make for the truck, well besides stacks
Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM

If I remember right the tranny from DTT was about $4300.00 but thats Canadian prices. Thats not with billit input or output shafts and it is a single disk convertor. Bill at DTT has his reasons for using a single but I cant think of them now. If you go to DTT site they have a forum and also tech facts where he explains all that. I haul a three horse trailer most of the time and still smile when this tranny shifts through the gears. Rpms drop every time it shifts.Total weight is usually around 14k lbs. Good luck with whatever you get.....Regards..happy tranny owner.....
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by funcruise
Thats not with billit input or output shafts and it is a single disk convertor. ..
what are the billet shafts? what are they for? up to what HP level can i go without them?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 PM

I talked with Dave Goerend last night. On my stock tranny with 138,000, he reccomended doing all the following with a new convertor and valve body. Along with a new master rebuild kit, new input shaft/hub assy, new O/D star gear, new bearings, new snap rings, new 1:2 apply lever and new strut and anchor and front clutch seal upgrade.

Quick Reply: Those using a DTT TC and VB...