Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Suspension pop when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension pop when backing up

I installed a Thuren track back last Saturday, I'm not sure if what I'm worried about is because of that, but anyway, when I back up then hit the brakes I hear a pop and feel it too from what I think is the drivers side front suspension part, I did a quick search and didnt' really find anything that is near what I'm experiencing, I don't hear it at all when I go forward, just backing up then hitting the brakes

2nd problem is sometimes my truck takes a long time to start, and other times it starts almost right up, I have 19psi fuel pressure so its not starving for fuel, runs perfect when it starts, just sometimes cranks A LOT before firing up.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know about the starting part, but the pop might be a ball joint, jack it up and see if the tire moves when u push top to bottom. i have one out and thats what it does. track bar make a big difference?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM

i just had all ball joints, track bar, steering linkage, steering box replaced and put on a DSS. i have the same problem except on the passenger side i belive.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Alright I'll go check the tire after I jack it up, I've been meaning to have most of my front suspension worked on or looked at, I guess I could do most of it myself, not sure if the ball joins have to be pressed in or not, guess I'll find out but as for the track bar, I really didn't notice a difference, as mine wasn't bad, only thing I think it did was 1. look better since its about twice as thick, and it centered the axle more since I have leveled the truck.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:00 PM

I just jacked it up and tried to move the tire on the top and bottom, and it didn't move, any other suggestions as to what it might be?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM

humm, it has to be something shifting when u put pressure on it. im not sure what thought
Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Yea I can't figure out what it is either, I even looked at the ball joints closely, they look fine, no leaking no worn looking seals, the drag ling bushing that goes to the pitman arm looks like it needs replacing, but I don't think thats whats causing it as I doubt that shifts at all since its not supporting the axle, only other thing I could think of is maybe a link arm bolt is loose, but since they are holes and not slots I don't think that idea is viable.

Any other suggestions? going to do a little more searching hopefully someone chimes in
Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM

control arm bushings. I had the exact same promblem, changed out the bushings and no more slop or noise.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM

humm, wish i would of thought of that when i had the axle off, how much those cost u? whered u get them from?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by walkram42
control arm bushings. I had the exact same promblem, changed out the bushings and no more slop or noise.
His is 4 wheel drive (no bushings requred)
Old 05-11-2008, 04:38 PM

ok never mind then im 4x4 too. ill get that ball joint changed and see if that fixes it for me otherwise ill be fallowing this more closely.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 PM

I guess I might as well change the ball joints, my guess is they are close to original anyway, so couldn't hurt, if it still does it then I'll take it to a front end shop and see if they find anything, it could use an alignment anyway.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM

ya thats where im at, was waiting to do it all when i got new rims and tires but pro comps not selling the rim i want in our bolt patten yet.... they said it could be up to 2 months so i guess im gona get this done first and see if my tires will last that long
Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM

I've had a clunking since I installed my new track bar last week. Just got under the truck while the girlfriend kept turning my wheel full lock to full lock ( I know, probably not good for it but had no choice). It ended up being the end of the track bar that bolts to the axle. Everytime the axle starts to shift the track bar bushing is banging around on the bolt. Looks like the new trackbar is a little oversized in the end

It's something to look at for you guys..
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM

could be a possibility, might have to get under it and look with someone else in the drivers seat and see if I can spot anything noticeable, if not next weekend I might try and tackle the ball joints, although it drives fairly normal, for our trucks since they don't handle great anyway so I might just ignore it for a bit.

Quick Reply: Suspension pop when backing up