Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Super PhatShaft 66

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super PhatShaft 66

just seein if any one has ran this turbo and what you think... i think this will be the turbo i decided on.. from what i read it should work for todays driving and have plenty of room for upgrades
Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 AM

just seein if any one has ran this turbo and what you think... i think this will be the turbo i decided on.. from what i read it should work for todays driving and have plenty of room for upgrades
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Chapter President

You will need bigger injectors to get the full potential out of that turbo
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I watch wind blow...

i "think" (bigredbcs) on this site runs taht one. you could PM him i guess.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It definitely has room to grow. Do your operating conditions allow for the later response of a single turbo that's on the big side like this one?

If you need low RPM response over peak power, then maybe this one would be too big.

Otherwise, I've only heard of a couple scarce reports of surging as the only beef with the turbo. Hence, the Silver Bullet was developed to reduce surging.

This is really only a factor on certain trucks under certain conditions.

Anyway, if you get this turbo please post back your experience with it.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Otherwise, I've only heard of a couple scarce reports of surging as the only beef with the turbo. Hence, the Silver Bullet was developed to reduce surging.
Please explain this.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM

I run a htt version 667114. I have it on an auto tho, so you will have better control of it with the standard. I ran with 150s for a while to make the truck a little more street friendly with smoke and road conditions in the winter. It ran hotter on cruisen temps with the smaller stix than it does with the big ones in now. You will like how hard it hits after 2000 rpms but there aint much befor then.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Don Wagner
Please explain this.
Explain which, what surging is or how the re-design reduced it?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Chapter President

How the redsign reduced it. I kind of want to see Don Wagner and Hohn have a discussion about turbos. That would be good
Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM

Honestly, I'm not the person to be "explaining" how the Silver series supposedly surges less because:
1) It's entirely the claim of II, and I'm skeptical of it
2) II doesn't "design" turbos so much as raid the B-W parts bin and "hey, what happens if we do this"?

Going to a larger turbine on the Silver series helps surging by simply slowing down the compressor so it operates farther to the right on its compressor map. Just like a larger housing would do, honestly. Surging is in a sense "overspooling"-- the turbo is trying to deliver more air than the engine will accept. More accurately, it's the result of a oversized compressor operating in a range where flow is unstable.

For more info, I suggest someone contact the turbo guys at Industrial Injection.

Me, I'll be going Garrett if I can.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hohn, did you read that bit on Garrett's website explaining the grooves cut into the compressor housing. What I gathered is that grooves cut into the throat below inducer leading edge but before the compressor grows in radius allows some of the incoming air to bleed off. Supposedly these grooves are called "map width enhancers" and move the surge line farther left. Garrett's site also claimed that a small amount of efficiency and peak flow is lost due to the bleed effect of these grooves but the map width is well worth it.

It has made me wonder if somehow these grooves were wrapped, if you could lose map width but gain a little HP on the dyno, sort of a temporary extra few ponies.

Also makes me wonder if II, or HTT couldn't machine these grooves to be a bit larger, gain more surge control and lose a tad more peak power!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Yes, I understand the MWE that almost all modern turbos have.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Going to a larger turbine on the Silver series helps surging by simply slowing down the compressor so it operates farther to the right on its compressor map. Just like a larger housing would do, honestly.
The turbine speed is actually higher on the SB than the SPS. Both the Super B and Super B Special use surge limiting covers with a bushed compressor outlet.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Then the housings on the Silver series have to be tighter to increase drive energy to the turbine. Correct?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM

The blade pitch is different, this is the most overlooked truth to the SB. The greater curvature of the SB turbine wheel has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Quick Reply: Super PhatShaft 66