Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Are Stuart Warner Guages any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Are Stuart Warner Guages any Good?

I had my Dodge dealer install 2 pillar guages. I asked for Isspro and got Stuart Warner fuel pressure and trans temp guages. Are these any good? I remember back in Highschool they were popular, but that was the sixties. Has anyone had good luck with them? I'm trying to be positive and not show any teeth
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 PM

Stuart Warner guages are still a good line of guages. We sell alot of them to commercial accounts and farmers. They never complain.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Were the Stewart Warners the new performance line???

http://www.sw-performance.com/produc...yid=87&ispod=0

I have been thinking about buying these for some time now - they look awesome, especially with the Chameleon lighting package.

BTW, you should have also installed an exhaust gas temperature (pyrometer) guage.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, but.... Why is a pyrometer important? I thought that was for you horsepower heads. I'm stayen' stock even though I know the fun of havin' my foot in it occasionally.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM

Without a pyrometer, even at stock fueling rates and hp levels, it is possible to get dangerously close to piston meltdown. Yes, it is more important on trucks with more fueling but if you tow and/or work your stock truck - its just as important.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:40 PM

I have never heard of anyone burning down a piston just on stock fueling, so i dont feel you will have problems, but If it were me I would have gotten a EGT gauge too.

Eric
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SW is a very good brand which has been around for an awful long time, but not necessarily popular with the diesel crowd.

Why would you want guages unless you want to know what's going on with the engine? There's alot the boost and pyro guages can tell you about what's happing to your engine and you can learn to "drive by your guages". Interpreting the combined data from egts, boost, rpm, and throttle position can tell you lots of things.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:05 AM

I'm running them...so far, I love them! Silver with blue leds, almost match my dash perfect (aftermarket dash) Still have a couple more to add in there, though!

Chris
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I went though three senders on an electrical S-W fuel pressure gauge in two months before I finally gave up and went with a mechanical Autometer Industrial.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 AM

I got a SW pyro, and no probs.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not trying to start an arugument here, but I think it is ridiculous to suggest that someone "need" a pyrometer and boost gauge for a stock truck. It a Cummins can't handle stock heat without a meltdown it is time to get a different truck. I have a VA and 275's and I work my truck as hard as anybody. I put in both gauges, and egt's never get over 1300. The block temp is as good or better indicator of motor temp than an egt gauge for what I have found, provided that there is not an unreasonable amount of fuel going in there like a big fueling box or injectors that could cause heat problems. Had I known, I would have saved my money spent on the boost/egt gauges for something a little more productive.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pike
I am not trying to start an arugument here, but I think it is ridiculous to suggest that someone "need" a pyrometer and boost gauge for a stock truck. It a Cummins can't handle stock heat without a meltdown it is time to get a different truck. I have a VA and 275's and I work my truck as hard as anybody. I put in both gauges, and egt's never get over 1300.
Before any mods except for gauges, my "stock truck" would hit 1300 degF pre-turbo towing a 5th wheel. Now, if the infamous intercooler boot rub puts a small hole in one of the boots, boost drops and EGTs climb even higher - and my "stock truck" is in trouble on that 5 mile, 6% grade! If I had EGT and boost gauges, however, the problem would become immediately apparent.

Rusty
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Before any mods except for gauges, my "stock truck" would hit 1300 degF pre-turbo towing a 5th wheel. Now, if the infamous intercooler boot rub puts a small hole in one of the boots, boost drops and EGTs climb even higher - and my "stock truck" is in trouble on that 5 mile, 6% grade! If I had EGT and boost gauges, however, the problem would become immediately apparent.

Rusty
Thank you Rusty...

These trucks should come from the FACTORY with a pyrometer...whether some believe it or not. BTW, I never said anyone needed a boost guage.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:45 PM

I am not positive on this but I believe SW also makes guages for Bank$.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM

I have SW gauges in my trucks. They are very good. The trucking industry have been putting them in from the factory for years. For years they where a basic no frills gauge, all business nothing fancy. It sounds like they are starting to make nicer looking gauges now.

Quick Reply: Are Stuart Warner Guages any Good?