Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stick or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick or auto?

Since im here. Lookin at 2 diffrent trucks that are gonna be my power junkies. What would be better an auto or 6 spd? Im pry gonna do more drags than anything.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 AM

Re:Stick or auto?

I'd go with the Standard rather than the Auto, it will cost you less in the long run. Bottom line: With any high modification to your CD, your going to have to get a new clutch or new auto tranny... and I would think the Clutch would be cheeper. <br>Big dawg
Old 04-30-2003, 12:41 AM

That is true, however like it has been said the manual are made for work not play. or is there a kit to change the shifting?
Old 04-30-2003, 01:33 AM

If its main goal in life is to go down the drag strip - go with the Auto. Two trucks, same hp, one with a stick and one with an auto - the auto will beat the stick by a second or two. <br><br>I just got to expirience a 15psi 4X4 launch in a 450hp truck - It was INTENSE - Thanks Rip!
Old 04-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Banned

Auto are by far the best for drag racing. At least in a truck. Tehy are extremely consistent and you never have to worry bout a missed shift or barking the turbo while shifting. You may lose a little more power through an auto than a stick, but the consistency will more than make up for it. If the throw wasn't so long on a truck, then it would be mroe beneficial to get a stick. But since the throws are so long, you waste a lot of time shifting. Also, there's not enough hang time in the gears of one of these trucks. With a 3200 redline (or 4000 depending on 12 or 24 valve), your running through the gears extremely quick. Also, everytime you shift a stick, your losing boost. With an auto, you've always got boost. It's also easier to build boost on the starting line with an auto than it is with a stick. More load on the engine. With that said, a built auto will end up costing you about $3400 or so dollars. But you'll never have to worry about it again. With a stick, you have to worry about frying the clutch, or missing a gear and shattering the gear. Stuff like that. So the auto may end up being the cheaper one in the long run. Either way, it comes down to a matter of preference. Personally, I'd rather have an auto in a truck and a stick in a sports car.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:08 PM

I seen that they have a short shift kit for the standard for around 200 dollars on the BD site. I think I am gonna try that one out myself.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:17 PM

Yeah ive seen those. My concern is that the gears, arnt the same as a typical racer anyway. Take the gears longer to shift and get in place. not meant for speed shifts. thats the kit id think you would need
Old 05-01-2003, 12:46 PM

I think that for serious pulling, a manual is the ticket. For straight up racing with a truck you need to get the auto. I have the stick and when I pull up to some car that needs an azz whooping, I have to drop the clutch and shift so soon. I loose time by shifting all the time. The auto will cost more to get set up, but you will be happier. Everyday driving is more fun with the stick though. If you get the six speed and put a comp on it, you wont get as much power as the auto will.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:33 PM

I thought you got more power out of a stick?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:45 PM

It all depends on how good you are with a stick. I know a few people that can shift the 5 speed as fast as an auto. With enough HP and clutch you can launch in 3rd. At that point you could break the input shaft. Drag racing in an auto is a lot less work and for most people more consistent.<br><br>20+ psi 4x4 launches make you go .
Old 05-01-2003, 05:08 PM

[quote author=ridofpwrstroke link=board=7;threadid=14206;start=0#133990 date=1051811161]<br>I think that for serious pulling, a manual is the ticket. For straight up racing with a truck you need to get the auto. <br>[/quote]<br>definately. Like Stakeman said -- its more consistent. A well-running auto is just no contest for the ability to apply power to the ground smoothly throughout the entire gear sequence.<br>
<br> If you get the six speed and put a comp on it, you wont get as much power as the auto will. <br>
<br><br>yes, and just to clarify, this has nothing to do with the transmissions (auto versus manual), but with the engine configured with those transmissions. In the HO 6 speeds (ETH/DEE) the VP44 doesn't have quite the volume capability for fuel delivery, even though the injector pop-off pressure is actually higher (as is the compression ratio of the engine) so the same fuel instructions given by the comp will actually result in less fueling and less HP on the ETH. As some have said, the ETH does not respond to the fueling box as well.<br><br>Alternatively, the ETH does respond really well to injector upgrades.<br><br>Ultimately, if you're out to push things to the limit HP wise and you want to race, the HO 6 speed is probably not for you. If that were my goal, I'd get one of the later autos, beef the tranny up with the latest and greatest (and be prepared to pay), put in injectors, a comp box, scotty air system, 4&quot; exhaust, a new turbo, and (of course) gauges.<br><br>For those of us with the ETH, the beauty is that we can go further HP wise without a turbo change or an expensive transmission upgrade. It does require an after market SBC clutch but that is is quite a bit less expensive than a modified transmission. At least for me, the ETH hit the sweet spot of Bombability and cost. But my goals are more toward towing and offroad control (esp downhill) then racing off the line
Old 05-01-2003, 05:13 PM

[quote author=kingofdodge7131 link=board=7;threadid=14206;start=0#134021 date=1051821221]<br>I thought you got more power out of a stick? <br>[/quote]<br><br>that depends. without the torque converter you don't have the losses associated with flying oil. But the thing about a slush box for racing is this: if the TC stall torque matches the engin'es max torque RPM then something cool happens-- you get maximum torque to the ground immediately. you floor it, and the engine ramps immediately to 1800 or whatever -- right where the engine likes to run. <br><br>and with the TC slipping you have about 2x torque multiplication too. that can be a big bonus.<br><br>And once you acheive lockup, then the losses are the same as for a clutch.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Banned

A lot of aftermarket trannies these days have swtiches that you can put on that lock the tranny up from like 20mph on for a direct drive. Just like a stick.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:53 PM

All in know is that when I went looking for a truck, it had to have a stick. I think it works much better for what I do. I think if you race and thats all your going to do, I would say the auto. I can shift pretty quick, but the long throws dont make it fast. If it had a mustang or camaro six speed it would be different, but I still prefer manuals. I added a comp and dd2's and still have the stock clutch and turbo. I dont know how much longer the stock clutch will hold, but it still is holding. (Sometimes)
Old 05-01-2003, 08:12 PM

[quote author=kingofdodge7131 link=board=7;threadid=14206;start=0#133464 date=1051678165]<br><br>Im pry gonna do more drags than anything. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Get a Corvette with either auto or stick

Quick Reply: Stick or auto?