Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Steering column bushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to be careful with is not to turn the wheel too much when you have it loose. You might want to use a bungee cord to hold it in position while working on it - I broke my clockspring but luckily it was a recall item and DC fixed it for free.

You don't have to pull the column unless you just want to or your hands are too big to get in there. I'm a little guy (165 lbs) so my hands fit just perfect.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problems with my 97 CTD's steering. but if it does go... I'll turn a bushing on my lathe. good info!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Another thing to be careful with is not to turn the wheel too much when you have it loose. You might want to use a bungee cord to hold it in position while working on it - I broke my clockspring but luckily it was a recall item and DC fixed it for free.

You don't have to pull the column unless you just want to or your hands are too big to get in there. I'm a little guy (165 lbs) so my hands fit just perfect.
Very GOOOOOOD Point! What i do is take the shaft bolt out. loosen the gear box shaft from the main shaft. Then i turn the steering wheel 180* to lock it in place. Make a note on which way you turned it (Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise). Write it down and go back the oppisite so you get the clock spring "centered" again...if you dont, you may find your Air Bag light might come on in a full lock turn and your horn/cruse controls will not work.......
Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Interesting thing about the clock spring. I spun mine all over the place cause I was wondering where center was in the steering wheel (I was dilusional and soaked at this point in time) and so far so good. Done a bunch of lock to lock turns and haven't had a problem.

hamilton71801, you got any info on this recall of the clock spring?

On a side note, since we had to remove my column to fix a couple of things the squeak that I had is now gone. Woo hoo!! Also, the truck actually steers a little better now than it used to. It's a lot more responsive now and that's with the old bearing in place with no spring.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Interesting thing about the clock spring. I spun mine all over the place cause I was wondering where center was in the steering wheel (I was dilusional and soaked at this point in time) and so far so good. Done a bunch of lock to lock turns and haven't had a problem.

hamilton71801, you got any info on this recall of the clock spring?

On a side note, since we had to remove my column to fix a couple of things the squeak that I had is now gone. Woo hoo!! Also, the truck actually steers a little better now than it used to. It's a lot more responsive now and that's with the old bearing in place with no spring.
Blue,

I just called a dealer and gave them my VIN to see if there were any recalls still out on my truck. Luckily that one had'nt been done and it was a freebe. You will know if your clockspring is out cause you can hear it rubbing when you turn the wheel and your air bag light will be on or your cruise controls will be inoperative.

I just got back from my first time towing since the fix and I can tell you that I was not worn out from fighting the truck like before. It was almost an enjoyable trip except my wife kept putting her toes on my windshield. That's a different story though.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Well mine must not be broke then cause the air bag lights are on and the cruise controls work perfectly. I tested them out last night and today. I'm just not looking forward to removing the column again to remove the old bushing. When Dan put it back in there after realizing the new one wouldn't work, they put a couple of tacks on there and then shoved it back in. Without anything holding it on you could pick up the whole steering shaft. It definately ain't gonna be fun removing it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Well mine must not be broke then cause the air bag lights are on and the cruise controls work perfectly. I tested them out last night and today. I'm just not looking forward to removing the column again to remove the old bushing. When Dan put it back in there after realizing the new one wouldn't work, they put a couple of tacks on there and then shoved it back in. Without anything holding it on you could pick up the whole steering shaft. It definately ain't gonna be fun removing it.
We ended up not welding on the bushing....just got a center punch and made some pretty big dimples in it.....like it is stock. I would reckon a big vice grips would get it our after some few choice words.......i look at my hands today......dont know if i would want to install thoes for a living! haha....

It was almost an enjoyable trip except my wife kept putting her toes on my windshield.
Ya know....you could alway hit something and place her feet behind her head with that air bag you got hidden in the dash.....but its a one shot deal...... She might be more fun to hang around after though.....
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

I don't know if I would want to install those things for a living. They aren't difficult but sure are a pain in the butt. Just from installing justin's my arm is nice and cut up as well. Let me know ASAP if you get that bushing fixed so I can get mine in.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
Ya know....you could alway hit something and place her feet behind her head with that air bag you got hidden in the dash.....but its a one shot deal...... She might be more fun to hang around after though.....
Toe prints on my windshield are my pet peeve and she knows it. She finally got the point when she caught me staring at her feet but I guess after 13 years of marriage if this is all that irratates me, something must be right.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

That or she's finally trained you to not say anything about it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM

I don't know if I would want to install those things for a living. They aren't difficult but sure are a pain in the butt. Just from installing justin's my arm is nice and cut up as well. Let me know ASAP if you get that bushing fixed so I can get mine in.
going to have to wait until Wed...he is out of town until then. He said that we can tare down his truck that night and spec it out, then turn it down. Ill post the specs on here when i get them...and ill shoot Cory the specs so you can get your bushing back!!! BUT your current set up seems to be holding ok......get the hose clamp on it?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM

That or she's finally trained you to not say anything about it.
I've always known that mama don't like back talk so I just bottle it up inside and then take it out on the dog.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:17 PM

I never complain about footprints on the windshield.......lol.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I've always known that mama don't like back talk so I just bottle it up inside and then take it out on the dog.
If she is anything like my wife..... I'd hate to be your dog......

Anyway.........
Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
going to have to wait until Wed...he is out of town until then. He said that we can tare down his truck that night and spec it out, then turn it down. Ill post the specs on here when i get them...and ill shoot Cory the specs so you can get your bushing back!!! BUT your current set up seems to be holding ok......get the hose clamp on it?
So I'll hopefully have it this weekend? Cool beans.

Quick Reply: Steering column bushing