Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sourcing drive shaft....parts? - Bobcat, any help on the HD stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sourcing drive shaft....parts? - Bobcat, any help on the HD stuff?

I didn't spin it off like Bobcat did, just the carrier went south. What's the best repair option. Should I go heavy duty like Bobcat did so I can sled pull....while I'm at it or is the best option just to pull the drive shaft, take it to a drive shaft shop and have them fix the bearing and carrier? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on a heavy duty drive shaft replacement option? Vendors on that?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Call Haisley Machine.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 AM

Good suggestion. I was going to call my buddy Robert Miller and ask him, but I'm sure he'd tell me to call Scheid. I'm sure Haisley and Scheid would both be good options. I'll give them a shout on Monday. Thanks for jump starting my thought process. I guess I'm also hopeful to find someone local to build one, but I'd be a little nervous that anyone but a diesel shop could build one strong enough to hold up to the torque of a mod'd diesel.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:22 PM

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/

From my dealings with them they'll make a good suggestion even if that means you spending your money elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

You better have your heart and check book right when calling them. I know a guy in NY who's awesome if you're interested.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM

Talk to Erik at Catco Parts & Service:
715-423-5820
Old 09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greensburg Machine
724-837-8233
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Thanks Bobcat, Don, and everyone. I have to get a tractor down to the hunt club this week to get winter food plots in the ground. I'll probably have to get the stocker fixed for this week, but I'll look into the heavier duty one. Thanks again guys, Matt
Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Anyone have any other thoughts?
Just replace the Carrier bearing. Mine went at 100,000 miles. I asked around and found this is not uncommon and not necessarily race related.

If it happens again...upgrade. JMO

RJ
Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 PM

Well, had to get it fixed today. Found a local driveshaft shop. They were great and reasonable. Only problem is they said that the carrier bearing was a proprietary bearing assembly that he cannot stock. Only DC stocks them. Found it next town over. DC bent me over the barrel with their price. $150 for the bearing assy and $50 for the transfer case seal which had torn. Ouch, they stuck it to me on that. Labor at the shaft shop was only $20 bucks, but I decided to go ahead and replace the universals with greasable spicers. I got out for about a c-note there. I'm sure for $250 that would've gone a long way toward a heavy duty driveshaft, but time didn't allow. The local shop says they can beef it up later if I want or rebuilt it heavy duty if I tear it up.

Thanks to Mike D for the help today. He was my parts running taxi and a huge help. He also "fixed my truck" and by fixed my truck he got my wire tap on the HRVP right that my Dum Bass couldn't figure out. The truck runs a WHOLE lot better now! He also gave me a tire burning lesson as he took the wheel of the old 6 speed. I always said my truck wouldn't spin. I was ingorantly wrong on that. We also figured out how to get the ole 6 speed moving with a boosted launch. Pretty cool
Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Interesting. My buddy bought his from napa. Cost like $50 I think.

It's amazing what that one little wire will do ain't it? I'm just waiting to get my TST remote hooked back up so I can turn the TST all the way to 9 and really see what them injectors can do.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Thanks to Mike D for the help today. He was my parts running taxi and a huge help. He also "fixed my truck" and by fixed my truck he got my wire tap on the HRVP right that my Dum Bass couldn't figure out. The truck runs a WHOLE lot better now! He also gave me a tire burning lesson as he took the wheel of the old 6 speed. I always said my truck wouldn't spin. I was ingorantly wrong on that. We also figured out how to get the ole 6 speed moving with a boosted launch. Pretty cool
Excellent! Glad to hear this report. So you put in the dd and all those other goodies and din't even try a third gear launch??!?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Chapter President

You're more than welcome Matt. I'm glad your truck is getting back in shape.

I guess old gas hot rodders like me can bring out some "old tricks" to get these diesel moving...

Who says you can't get a boosted 3rd launch with a 6 speed??? Not Tiger Rag....

It's amazing how much better she'll get out of the hole now. Tricky part is going to be at the lights!!!

Welcome to the 14's Matt... We'll just have to get you to the track to make it official.

You might want to ask around to see how much the output shafts can take.. That 25 lb launch was nasty.. I love it when all four wheels break loose...

Quick Reply: Sourcing drive shaft....parts? - Bobcat, any help on the HD stuff?