Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Updates

Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
I have been running the beta with 6 levels of torque management and 3 levels of timing. The next beta will have 3 levels of duration.

Its coming along nicely, I think the 6 levels of torque management will fix all the issues of the past.

HEY BOB.... will us catcher users get a good deal for a new smarty???
Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well as promised I got a chance to play with the new program over the last 2 days. I am running the tq wide open the timing on moderate and the duration all the way up an catcher #5 because that is what I was running before. I can't run #9 without getting whiplash in my setup.

I ran without the TST on for most of the time because I can't use it unless I am fogging for mosquitos. I must say that it feels like it fuels much harder than it did before all the way up to around 3500rpm. Running above 2500 doesn't feel slugish and the engine freely revs past that. Egt's seem to be down some also. I can run hard with nothing else on and stay at 1150*
I am not getting as much smoke as long as the turbo's are up. Before the turbo's come to life it is blackout as usual if I am not careful on the go pedal.
Like I said before this thing seems to pull really hard. It compiments big injectors very well. stabbing the throttle rolling with about 10psi on the guage and it feels like you have been rear ended. Turbo spoolup is faster.

I tried it once with the TST on 7 just for fun (it was already dark out) standing on the throttle rolling 45 was pointless as soon as the turbo's lit I was going more sideways than straight. The new program seems to liven up the TST stack even more.

So far so good. I am going to change settings and see what happens and I will post up what I think later.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Chapter President

Diesel Doc, What does your truck run in the 1/4?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM

beta tune

i got i chance to load the new beta tune i just set everything to the max it is pretty agressive with everything turned up and on setting 9. I can't wait to get some extra time so i can play with the settings some more and see what works best with my setup. so far i'm happy with it and can't wait till it is totally done. I hope to get to pull soon and pull with the new tune and see if i can run with the dmax guys around here.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Ok, whats up with this.
I have been running SW6, timing default,duration 4, TQ6.
I uploaded some other settings and messed around. Then I went back to what I have above and now it lopes like crazy.

It sounds like a 12V with 30* of timing. Should I take it off or should I run it? It smooths out if I let it set or give it throttle in gear. If I free rev it after its been idling smooth it starts loping like a mother..and god forbid you put it in gear..its aplified by 10 and it actually killed the truck once..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM

er Oops.... Any codes?

My truck threw a 0216 not long after it started loping at idle.

Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Didn't look...don't want to now..
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Diesel Doc, What does your truck run in the 1/4?
I don't know. I havn't ever run it. I didn't really think the manuals would be very competitve drag racing. I would probably run out of gear by 3/4 track anyway. my 1/8th mile time would be decent with a 3rd gear start probably.
I am trying to get this thing finished and set up for pulling.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by BigB82789
Ok, whats up with this.
I have been running SW6, timing default,duration 4, TQ6.
I uploaded some other settings and messed around. Then I went back to what I have above and now it lopes like crazy.

It sounds like a 12V with 30* of timing. Should I take it off or should I run it? It smooths out if I let it set or give it throttle in gear. If I free rev it after its been idling smooth it starts loping like a mother..and god forbid you put it in gear..its aplified by 10 and it actually killed the truck once..
Which number did you use? 0 default, 1 stock, 2 advanced, 3 moderate, 4 wild

I'm curious about the moderate, is that less timing than advanced? I'm guessing yes, but its between advanced and wild so I'm not sure. I guess I'll try it out and listen for rattle.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM

It's nice to see the 2nd Gen guys getting fired up again. Will these new Smarty Update help guys like me that are only running slightly larger injectors and just the Smarty?
Thanks Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
JIT

Will this update help with those of us that are stacking the Smarty on even numbers for Fueling only? Can that even get any better???
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 PM

For stacks which won't use the smarty's timing the benefits would be the adjustability in duration and possibly torque management. Too early to tell methinks.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:51 PM

Which number did you use? 0 default, 1 stock, 2 advanced, 3 moderate, 4 wild

I'm curious about the moderate, is that less timing than advanced? I'm guessing yes, but its between advanced and wild so I'm not sure. I guess I'll try it out and listen for rattle.
SW6 set to default timing, which would be zero. After messing with it I've come to the conclusion that stacking with the ADR cuases it, and light engine load at idle such as A/C, power steering, brakes, all bring it on...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Ok I had alot of running around to do today so I took the smarty with me so I could change things up and do some testing.
From what I can tell the tq management controls how early the fuel comes in with between 3 and 4 being default catcher. This is a very nice feature because driving around with my setup was always kindof anoying with the old smarty because the throttle response was super touchy. With my gearing it made the truck nearly imposible to drive in low range. With the tq management turned down to 2 I now have stock like throttle response with very little smoke down low unless I get into it too hard. I don't have to watch the mirrors anymore when leaving stoplights to make sure I am babying it and avoiding a blackout. I can drive the truck like I used to before all of the mods. It should work much better for towing. You will not be able to do boosted launches with tq turned down. This is a very nice feature for those of us with larger injectors that still want street maners. With the tq turned all the way up I can black out an intersection with 1/4" of throttle it seems but the turbos will light alot faster.
The timing is a bit harder to tell by the seat of pants I think Wild is a bit farther than stock catcher. 4 turns very hard up top. I am thinking standard is in the middle again on timing. It should be a nice feature for nitrous guys.
Duration is more of the same dead center seems to be around standard catcher.
I wish I could use the TST more on the street to see how it responds but I do not have the traction for it and that amount of smoke on the freeway is in no way safe.
I am still running sw#5 only so I have a baseline to go by because I have been running 5 for a long time now.
So far I like the tunability alot. I already like my truck more because I can drive it like a stocker again without the smoke and hairtriggrer throttle if I want to. IMO this is a very nice upgrade for the big injector crowd. It will be nice to hear how it works on a less overfueled truck.
Sorry so long but I hope it answers some questions.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Ben

I tried everything on kill last nite. SW# Kung Fu 9. That's where I have always ran it.

Motor seemed a little more rattly. which I expected from the timing.

Up and down the road a few times to warm it up and get the thermostat open.

Picked my spot where I was going to do my bomb run.

Coming out of a 90 degree sweeper, over a small bridge, then a nice straight shot in front of the house.

Figured I would come out of the 90 in 5th gear at about 55-60 with a little boost going cross the bridge then give her the onion.

Holy...................Carp.............

The...truck....has.....never.......pulled.......li ke........that.....

I swear the front end got a little light as the steering got instantly a little skittish. I've never had that happen before or get that feeling through the steering wheel.

I passed the house at 95 then shut her down and tucked the truck back into it's hidey hole.

I believe there was some more found in the injectors there...as I had suspected there was more left.

The smoke wasn't too bad either. Not the usual puke black...but grayish black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty Updates