Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam

Stakeman..you know I've said it before, you need to get out more... Your'e &quot;huffing &amp; puffing&quot; truck, probably would feel &amp; breathe better. If not for your self, think about your poor truck... <br><br>Steve
Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 AM

Hey...<br><br>You mean these things are/were supposed to cool?? I bought it for the sweeeet music it makes.. ;D It doesn't get hot enough here in the PRoSF, (peoples republic of san francisco) to make a difference!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:50 AM

Steve you have done all these tests with out using any of the original ram air components that I built with the hood.When you took my box off you elemnated the seal from the hood to the air box so now you do not have ram air you just have fresh air. In the 60s and 70s there were two hoods a fresh air hood that was on some fords,trans ams, camros but the only true ram air hoods the air inters the hood on the leading edge of the hood.The ones that were open in the middle to the back the were just fresh air not ram air.Think about it! Is the air being force to the turbo or is it just fresh air near the turbo.nascar pulls the air from the cowl area but they are going over 100 mile an hour before there in any presure. but with ture ram air you build pressure once you get moving from slow speeds up. when you have my air box in you can see the center of the hood grow at higher speeds what does that tell you there is pressurer in the hood that is force feeding the turbo, take the seal away and no more pressure.My system may not be the best sit on a dyno but common cents should tell you that for driving at highway speeds it is the best.My system is more expensive to buy and to make.If you don,t think that it isn,t living up to what I say its doing I will buy it back. If you are going to compair all these system let my system be compair complete not with some thing stuck on it that defeats the purpose of ram air.I don,t have a problem with any of the other system out the for the money but when you start put other people systems on my system it sound like my system doesn,t work.Let the people know what is going on.You dyno and you need all the air you can get standing still my system isn,t made for that is made for the real world out there on the road.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Doug, only one thing I disagree with on your post.<br>You mention that its 'only fresh air not ram air' with the opening at the back of the hood. Not true. The bottom of the windshield is a positive air pressure area that forces air into the existing cowl on the 2nd generation trucks. I had this proven to me several times. One way to see that proof is when one is going down the road from 40 to higher MPH, the washer fluid will start to move back off the windshield and onto the hood the faster you go. The air is coming back off the windshield and also downward. Hence reverse cowl is more effective then just fresh air. My system has proven that.<br><br>Irregardless...I concur with your points. I was also trying to convey that with my first post. I too would like to see a true comparison of your intake and its effectiveness to reduce EGT's as that hood of yours is the nicest I have ever seen...it rocks! The quality and service you offer is truly top notch. <br>Remember one time you and I discussed designing the bottom air intake and part of your air box connections? You said you would send it up to me and I would get you details on pricing etc. <br><br>Another point that has to be considered with my system, and others including your hood.<br>If air is introduced into a system, it has to be uniform, and the most direct route possible or the air can and will do some funky things to the effectiveness and even negate any gains one has already achieved. When air is shaped to optimize its flow, less air can be as effectivee and even more effective at reducing EGT's then a lot of air that is not 'shaped' and/or directed.<br>Plus, adding more air into the side of my system can and will disrupt the optimum flow of the cylinder shape I have designed and will defeat the purpose to a degree that may render the entire intake less then efficient. Now this all depends on several variables like volume, air speed, rotational movement of the air [turbulence] etc etc.<br><br>My system like yours is not going to shine on a dyno...they need the 'real world' to work.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:57 AM

My question :<br><br>Will the fact that a &quot;Ram Air Hood&quot; is in place of the stock hood change the &quot;functionality&quot; of the Scotty II? Since it is drawing air from the rear of the hood area, with the dual scoop hood is the same positive pressure present as with a stock hood around the cowl area?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:34 PM

Doug...I never once said your system didn't work. I never once said I was comparing &quot;your&quot; Air Bull Dog system to the AFE Mega Cannon or the ScottyII. I always refered the tests to my &quot;set-up&quot; which isn't the norm. You saw my system in Idaho, and you were bent about it because, I modified your system to accomodate the AFE Mega Cannon. Whether my system is fresh air or Ram air, doesn't matter to me, as long as I get results. I'm sure Scotty isn't thrilled that Lon &quot;rotorhead&quot; modified his system using your Dam Air system. If Lon does some testing and verifys his set-up works better, good for him! I have been a strong advacate of your Hoods and system and will continue to do so. I'm publicly appologising to you for any mis-representation, of the Air Bull Dog Ram Air system, in name ,whether complete or partial, or modified in any form used in my test, and will refraim from mentioning it by name in the future. I futher state in my tests, I did not test the Air Bull Dog Ram Air system &quot;complete&quot; with either the AFE Maga Cannon or the ScottyII.
Steve

P.S. Kat... IMO, the Ram Air Hood (by its self)would have no effect on the performance of the ScottyII as compared with a stock hood, as the ScottyII is a complete sealed unit pulling air from the fender well and cowel.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=KatDiesel link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=45#158814 date=1057935479]<br>My question :<br><br>Will the fact that a &quot;Ram Air Hood&quot; is in place of the stock hood change the &quot;functionality&quot; of the Scotty II? Since it is drawing air from the rear of the hood area, with the dual scoop hood is the same positive pressure present as with a stock hood around the cowl area?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think that depends on the cowl rise and size of the inlets.<br>What cowl hood are you referring too? I have only used a stock hood as I had no interest in the cowl or Ram Air styles with the Scotty as it worked very well.<br>Perhaps there is someone on here that has tested the hoods.<br>That would be COoooOoOoooOooooOOOOooL<br><br>As for whether I am upset about ANYONE altering my system or not using it or whatever...All the power to those folks.<br>Perhaps their alterations will net them some benefits and can be shared with us all.<br><br>I understand the passion a person can have in regards to their own product. <br><br>Everybody breathe. with as many air inlets as possible.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:42 PM

Maybe I worded my question poorly, let me try again (for Scotty)

With a Ram Air hood in place (such as on Heberram's truck) will it change the airflow characteristics around the cowl area where there is &quot;positive&quot; pressure from which the Scotty II sucks from (vs a stock hood)?

I also have Doug's AirBullDog Hood. I'm just curious is all.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=KatDiesel link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=45#158948 date=1057959753]<br>Maybe I worded my question poorly, let me try again (for Scotty)<br><br>With a Ram Air hood in place (such as on Heberram's truck) will it change the airflow characteristics around the cowl area where there is &quot;positive&quot; pressure from which the Scotty II sucks from (vs a stock hood)?<br><br><br>I also have Doug's AirBullDog Hood. I'm just curious is all.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>OK, I comprende now.<br>What we do not know [at least I don't as I have not tested that set up] is just how much rise in the hood could negate the cowl effect the Scotty uses. However, I do know that there is an exact height that must be used on the 3rd gen Rams to get the perfect reverse cowl set up to give optimized air volume by the windshield.<br>One thing is for sure...these engines all need more air.<br>Sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer...it could actually go either way depending on how the air deflects off the nose of the truck and what portion of that is carried across the hood and at what height as well. There is a pocket on a stock hood that is a flat spot for air and will produce a reverse flow...referring to my washer fluid running towards the front of the hood instead of on the windshield. I do not know how high or how long that pocket is and its probably different at different speeds, different pitches/angles [due to loads or air pressure, tire height etc] of the front end and different wind conditions.<br><br>Air is a tricky thing.<br><br>
Old 07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is a suggestion that may settle once and for all the questions about air flow over hoods etc. OK, it damages a hood, but that is the price for R&amp;R.<br>Install a series of small nozzles in various places on the hood. Then pipe in smoke and take it for a drive under various conditions. With and without bug shields etc. Add a camera to the top of the cab and you can record everything with a birds eye view. Do the same to the front of the vehicle and install a camera to record the airflow while driving. This will provide you with a conclusive test as to where the air goes with no more guessing. You can then do your mods and see if there are any airflow changes.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Instead of drilling holes, tape pieces of yarn on the hood and videotape.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:16 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

That will work except that you will need a lot more pieces of yarn to shown the continuous airflow.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

You will need a giant supply of smoke or several miles of yarn when measuring this. The yarn will rip off and fray. I doubt theres a big enough canister to provide the smoke needed.<br>Think wind tunnel.<br>
Old 07-11-2003, 08:00 PM

I didn,t mean to shake any ones tree,I just wanted every one on the same page as to what and why things were getting tested the way they were.Testing is good that how Scott,s products get better and so do mine,we like people doing testing on our stuff its less testing we have to do our selfs.<br> In 1993 when they started to do addvertising for the all new Dodge Ram one of there adds had a Ram in a wind tunnel with a smoke wand in front of the truck the smoke was very close to the hood right about where I put my air inlets and then got higher of the hood to go over the roof but went it got to the back of the hood it rolled by the windsheild so in my book Scott and I both did it right.My biggest concern was water intrusion, I guess the test of time tells us what we needed to know.<br>Thanks for all the input thats how we learn.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:23 PM

Scotty, I beg to differ. The yarn will NOT fray or rip off. it has been used on aircraft wings which have a considerably higher airspeed than even the fastest Ram. Use duct tape to tape it on or aircraft 200 mph tape. As for smoke, only a small amount is used at a time because only select nozzles are used at any given moment. Sure, a smoke wand works well in a wind tunnel, but that costs mega bucks. A smoke generator is cheap and when used properly on the trucks will give you a real world situation to evaluate. It will be very easy to change the model to give different results without resorting to an expensive wind tunnel.

Quick Reply: Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam