Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty 2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty 2 installed

The gracious gift offered up by Rod at Wildcat Diesel and our favorite administrator Jack Thorpe arrived a couple of days ago and I had the chance to install it on the truck yesterday. Since I bombed my truck I have tried various air filters, and each one has been better than the previous. I began with a K&amp;N replacement in the stock airbox, but that setup didn't provide nearly enough air to feed the hungry HX-40, so a BHAF was quickly put in its place. However, even though it is huuuuuge, the BHAF didn't give the EGT break I was hoping for, so after my dad upgraded to the Scotty II, I comandeered his original Scotty I. This setup was much better, offering about a 100 degree EGT drop over the BHAF, and much better sound to boot. I've run this combo until yesterday, when I slapped on my brand new Scotty II complete with the new AFE filter and nose cone. The fit and finish of the unit is excellent, and since I already had the hole drilled, it popped right into place in 5 mins. The results?? Well, crusing EGTs are about the same (as is advertised), but when I got on it, I noticed that the EGTs are down between 50 and 75 degrees more than with the Scotty I. Furthermore, turbo spoolup from a stoplight is surprisingly improved quite a bit, and the whistle is about the same, only a shade less intense. Overall, I'd say that Scotty has the &quot;bomb&quot; intake for a bombed truck. Once again, I'd like to thank Rod at Wildcat, Scotty, and Jack for offering up this unit to celebrate the 3000th member!<br><br>John
Old 12-27-2002, 11:39 AM
DTR Advertiser

Re:Scotty 2 installed

I recently got my my Scotty2 also. Installed very easy with the cowl hole open egts dropped 120 degrees compared to the bhaf. I still can not run above PM3 on setting 4 w/ my hx35 I guess the bigger turbo is next. One thing about the open scotty2 it is loud!!! It sounds like the turbo is in the passenger seat, even with the insulation over the cowl hole it is louder than the bhaf w/o the silencer ring . Rod told me it would be loud but it still will take some getting used to. Tim P.S. the scotty 2 dropped egts more than my 4&quot; straight pipe did.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:04 PM

Timinva, What kind of EGTs are you seeing at what level on the PM3, also what altitude are you?<br> Danny
Old 12-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Timinva link=board=7;threadid=8806;start=0#85271 date=1041010779]<br>I recently got my my Scotty2 also. Installed very easy with the cowl hole open egts dropped 120 degrees compared to the bhaf. I still can not run above PM3 on setting 4 w/ my hx35 I guess the bigger turbo is next. One thing about the open scotty2 it is loud!!! It sounds like the turbo is in the passenger seat, even with the insulation over the cowl hole it is louder than the bhaf w/o the silencer ring . Rod told me it would be loud but it still will take some getting used to. Tim P.S. the scotty 2 dropped egts more than my 4&quot; straight pipe did.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm running the TST COMP on level 9 with stage 3's, 4&quot; exhaust and B-1 Kwikspool. I cannot get the egt past 1350F at WOT on the flats with an empty truck. Running stacked with the EZ I am getting less power but 50F lower EGT...timing? I think the TST Comp and the EZ stacked is too much advance with my combination.<br>Have not pulled with this combo yet. I pulled with the Edge Drag Comp and would hit 1375F on hills with the 24ft enclosed trailer maintaining speed with ambient in the mid 80's<br>Also, my egt numbers could be a bit skewed due to the cold ambient air temps, currently. One thing I can tell all of you is that this system will take all you throw at it. The more fuel the better!<br><br>Thanks again to all that have purchased the system!<br>It SUCKS COOoooOOoOoOoOoooOOOOOOooL Air better then anything out there. ;D
Old 12-29-2002, 07:59 PM
DTR Advertiser

Danlit, I am at sea level or real close. I can hit 1300 on level 3 if I hold it long enough but at that time I am near a 100mph. I can use 5 or 6 for short bursts but must watch the pyrometer close, cause it will hit 1500 pretty quick. On level 9 the pyrometer moves quicker than the tach. On level 9 the power is wicked, just wish I could use it more. A pdr hx-40 or b-1 will be coming soon. Scotty my ez stacked lowers the temps a little also and seems to give more bottom end, haven't dynoed yet maybe in June. Tim
Old 12-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tim,<br> Did it do anything for the smoke? : <br>Cause that's all I got to see trying to follow you and the rest of the &quot;Pumped-Up&quot; bunch at the last lunch meet! That's OK,,,,,,,,, One of these days,,,,, I'm gonna get me some HP and then somebody else with a stocker can &quot;bring up the rear&quot;. ;D
Old 12-30-2002, 12:06 PM
DTR Advertiser

Dennis, it still puts out a good cloud. Maybe Keith and I can have a smoke contest next meet. I doubt the pizza hut employees would appreciate that though. Next time I will let you go first. Take care Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually Tim,,,,,,<br> I've become rather good at navigating through the smoke and haze,,,,, not to mention, it's hard to get lost,,,,,,,,,, all I have to do is follow the clouds! <br>