Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Resonator, Muffler, or both?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Resonator, Muffler, or both?

Hello everyone, i'm new to the website, I have used this forum as a resource, you guys have some good knowledge. I just bought an '01 dodge ram. Its a beast, I wasn't planning on buying a built truck since I wanted to build my own, but I couldn't turn down the good deal. Tons of work done to it, has the nv4500 with south bend dual disk clutch, fifth gear nut, big input shaft and heavy duty southbound hydros. Hot rod injection pump, 125 hp injectors, hamilton push rods 66mm turbo and much more. The thing is, with all this work done, and it being a 2nd gen with a 4in mbrp straight pipe, she's loud as all hell. I don't mind it, i love it actually, but the neighbors i know will not be a fan. Im looking for a decent muffler, i've heard the qt mbrp is decent or the walker. At the same time I've seen people suggesting a resonator. I know the difference but honestly what have you guys done to quiet down your trucks without diminishing the performance. Can i do both? Give me your input. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Resonators are popular. Helps prevent droning and still allow some tone in the exhaust.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM

really its going to be up to what you think is to loud. I have a 5" with nothing dumped under the back seat.

The best to me that I used was a straight flow design with no baffles or redirecting of flow. No or minimal packing/deading material.

Go on u-tube and type in cummins with 4" exhaust. or 2nd gen cummins with 4" exhaust. will give you tons of ideas and sounds. usually the person that post the video post what type of exhaust set up they are using.

I have alos heard good things of a donaldson high flow straight design muffler that is 4" . this may be to quiet.

just watch out for what you do if you do tow. There are nasty harmonics with high rpms with little sound proofing with a cummins.

heck you could even get 2 high flow resonators instead.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 AM

See now I thought to myself, I wonder if I could do two resonators back to back or split. But then I thought now who would do that, is that something that people have done, I researched a lot and found one or the other, or both but never two resonators. That would be something, one near the cab and one towards the rear.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I have the 4" MBRP system all the way back. I REALLY like the sound of it, yea, you can hear the engine, but it is in no way obnoxious until you get into boost, then you know it.

Just driving down the road, low boost, not much louder than stock.

I would try just putting a MBRP muffler on your current system and see how you like it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 PM

the resonators will and would work. the issue would be finding the right size/length you want. not alot of people run them.
I know at one time the big exhaust makers also listed video clips on the websites.

on u-tube you can also search cummins straigh pipe, cummins exhaust no muffler etc. this will show you how loud is to loud on that.
but really you will just need to do alot of video searching to give you more ideas.
are you close to any diesel performance shop? if so most employees drive cummins. they likely have a exhaust placed. if you decide to do a full exhaust 4" . PM me . I can give you some POC on deals.
first check on the site here on this store.

also you could even consider doing a hybrid system for now.
if you have the factory down pipe from the exhaust keep that and about half way back add a connector and do the rest in 4" with whatever muffler you want.
this is cheaper and when or if you upgrade turbos you could then replace the down pipe to a 4"