Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Replacing the Holley with what? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/replacing-holley-what-115571/)

blackdiesel 09-07-2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4 (Post 1119802)
Im in the same shoes as you superdave, I have low FP right now and want to go above the Blue. That aeromotive pump looks like a good deal, a few more psi than the Blue.

Could you plumb two Blue back to back???? Just a thought.

Jamie

two blues would be the same as a blue and a stock, and would work well IMO, you would have 20 + psi

dieseldodge 09-07-2006 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel (Post 1119809)
two blues would be the same as a blue and a stock, and would work well IMO, you would have 20 + psi

where would you mount the 2nd blue? as close to the original lp location? or on the frame close to the motor?

Kemble 09-07-2006 08:25 PM

No one has any idea on the aeromotive pump I was talking about? Is 18-20 psi too much?

blackdiesel 09-07-2006 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dieseldodge (Post 1119813)
where would you mount the 2nd blue? as close to the original lp location? or on the frame close to the motor?

I would not mount it to the block, I would put them both on the frame

Originally Posted by Kemble (Post 1119851)
No one has any idea on the aeromotive pump I was talking about? Is 18-20 psi too much?

18-20 is just right, But I have not heard of that one. that don't mean that it's not good

natlchamp2k4 09-07-2006 10:24 PM

Im no engineer but two 14 psi pumps run on the frame rail should produce abour 28psi. tighten the pressure spring to run them right at 20-22psi.

I think I have a project for this weekend guys.

What do you think???

Jamie

Kemble 09-07-2006 10:59 PM

Here is what summit's website says about the Aeromotive aei-11203 pump:

Features include:

* 900 lbs./hr. of fuel flow at 13.5 V
* 18-20 psi fuel pressure
* Highly durable pumping mechanism guaranteed to never wear out
* 3/8 in. ports
* Alcohol compatibility
* Low amperage draw

His holley blue is burnt up and was looking for another option. Does diesel have an adverse effect on these pumps designed for gas or alcohol? Thanks in advance.

dieseldodge 09-08-2006 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kemble (Post 1120137)
Here is what summit's website says about the Aeromotive aei-11203 pump:

Features include:

* 900 lbs./hr. of fuel flow at 13.5 V
* 18-20 psi fuel pressure
* Highly durable pumping mechanism guaranteed to never wear out
* 3/8 in. ports
* Alcohol compatibility
* Low amperage draw

His holley blue is burnt up and was looking for another option. Does diesel have an adverse effect on these pumps designed for gas or alcohol? Thanks in advance.

i dont really think diesel fuel has an affect on the pumps. what really kills a fluid pump is pumping air. they are designed to keep the pump assembly lubed with the liqiud it pumps.

SuperDave4x4 09-08-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4 (Post 1119802)
Im in the same shoes as you superdave, I have low FP right now and want to go above the Blue. That aeromotive pump looks like a good deal, a few more psi than the Blue.

Could you plumb two Blue back to back???? Just a thought.

Jamie

That did come to mind, but if I where to plumb to pumps in there, I would just get the Campaign pump for 2 reasons. 1 cheaper than the holley and 2 I think the campaign pump might be more reliable.

I really need to get ahold of a Holley Blue pump diagram. Although I am a little leary about taking the pump apart, because with my luck I'll take it apart, stretch the spring and it will work great for about a week and the all the sudden it'll just die completely. BUT I guess I'm gonna find out next week sometime. :o

airman 09-08-2006 02:24 PM

Blue Holley

You dont have to take the pump apart it has a large flat head screew on the side of it just take the screew out becarefull not to loose the spring.Give it a good stretch Dont worry about stretching it too far the pump will not biuld more than 18 - 20 psi.And yes diesel has a bad efect on these pumps it degrades the seals around the shaft and then fuel gets down inside the motor and they will fail then.These pump motors run drie they donot need cooling.Been thare don that.I went through 2 before I changed to a Fass.[verymad]

GSP 09-08-2006 04:51 PM

I wonder how many of us will spend more money replaceing pumps over and over than if we had just bought a Fass pump the first time?

How much is just the fass pump $400? no filters? $600 with filters?

Dodge Demon 09-09-2006 08:24 AM

Listening to you guys talk about your Carters and Hollys and Campain lift pumps always gives me a good laugh, chriky, none of them are any good, never have and never will be, thier all just a money pit. I been running a Walbro GS 392 for over 70,000 miles now and it NEVER EVER misses a beat,steady as a rock, silent running, the Walbro only has to run at 20% of its rated output so propably will last the life of the truck.You want pressure,chriky, it will put out 100 PSI if you want. You know mates,Superduty tried to tell you guys awhile back about the Walbro, same as I did and do but I guess if you chaps like to thro money away then by all means stick with your toy pumps,I wonder where Superduty is these days, I dont seem to see him post anymore.

GSP 09-09-2006 10:15 AM

Dodge Demon. Alot of guys have been asking about the Walbro and its reliability/durability.

Good to here yours is working good.

Did you just buy the complete kit glacier sells or just the pump and plump it yourself with a pressure relief and return line.

Tell us how you set yours up.

Rick

trex 09-09-2006 02:01 PM

i ran a blue and a black. works great
21-25 psi, starts fine and i know when its working cause you can hear them.
cheap and easy to do just put the black in place of the oem on the motor couple of wires and cut the line going into the filter clamp on a fuel line and works great!

Ph4tty 09-10-2006 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon (Post 1121680)
the Walbro only has to run at 20% of its rated output so propably will last the life of the truck.You want pressure,chriky, it will put out 100 PSI if you want.

I think this arguement is a fallacy. The pump is putting out more fuel than you are measuring because of the return line diverting most of the flow before pressure is measured. Thus I think stating that a 100 psi pump is only working at 20% capacity because 20 psi is measured after the return line is a fallacy [rant]

The walbro does look promising regardless. If my carter doesn't last until I have enough money for a cam I'll be looking for a walbro pump. Chriky![laugh]

Dodge Demon 09-10-2006 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty (Post 1122874)
I think this arguement is a fallacy. The pump is putting out more fuel than you are measuring because of the return line diverting most of the flow before pressure is measured. Thus I think stating that a 100 psi pump is only working at 20% capacity because 20 psi is measured after the return line is a fallacy [rant]

The walbro does look promising regardless. If my carter doesn't last until I have enough money for a cam I'll be looking for a walbro pump. Chriky![laugh]

I was refering to the rated pressure,it will go 100 PSI but due to the relief valve it only pumps at approx 15 to 20 psi,sure there probably a lot of fuel circulating back to the tank but its just circulating,not much strain on the pump,will last forever.