Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Start

is a remote start a good idea will it wait for the glow plugs to warm up first and what about the high idle?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most remote starters have revisions for glow plugs. I have onbe on my gasser and I'm going to install it on my Diesel. I wasn't sure if it would work, but after reading the instructions it will be easy and it has the glow plug option and it is a cheap remote starter.
hope this helps

Ben
Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I've read it isn't advised to warm up the 24 valves by idle unless you have the comp. reflashed to provide high idle. Otherwise, some of my friends w/ Fords have remote start for the winter time and haven't had any issues. Kurt
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

i have remote start on mine... i don't use it much to warm up the truck... i use it more to get truck started quicker when i'm in a hurry

i've never checked to see if the WTS light goes out prior to starting on cold days
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

get a compu star remote start... its one of the only ones our installer will put in. really high end. works excellent with diesels. install them all the time here.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Look for a high-end one (made by DEI as the parent company). They work fine. Most have provisions for the WTS light, or can just wait a set amount of time. Work great, and on mine makes all the difference to me. I love mine!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:01 PM

I have one from DEI.... Remote start...turbo timer....door locks. Model 561R. It's going in this weekend. Looks like a nightmare (or just time consumming) to install....lots of wires!

RJ
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

i have one on mine, it waits for the light to go out then fires right up. love it.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 PM

well thanks for the advise guys
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ram_SRT-10
is a remote start a good idea will it wait for the glow plugs to warm up first and what about the high idle?
Glow Plugs........what are Glow Plugs?

i have also thought about putting one on my truck. i had one on a gasser S10 and loved it.

a downside is that if anything is not right when you use the remote start then you have to race out to the truck to shut it off. had that happen on my blazer, started it with remote and water pump bolts broke shortly after, on two occasions.

as for the high idle, definatly get it.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM

I have a remote start works good, also took to dealer and had them reprogram computer to give me a fast idle. also had an espar circulating coolant heater installed, it runs on diesel out of the tank. uses about 1 cup of fuel an hour. this the best thing since sliced bread. In -40 degree weather I set the timer to run it for 2 hours hit the remote start to warm the oil, when i climb in she's warm in the cab and ready to roll.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

I can't believe it took 9 replies before someone piped up and said that these cummins don't have glow plugs, and never have.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I have installed many since they were first introduced in the late 70's and I have them on all 3 of my vehicles that are automatic the other 2 including my truck are standard and although you install a sw to protect from starting in gear I personally wouldn't risk it. To see what I mean leave it in gear and 4 wheel drive then start it after the wait to start lite goes out, at the very least it goes through the garage door and doesn't hit anyone.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM

How difficult is the install? How do you know which wires under the dash belong to what you need to splice?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Most places that sell the kits will give you a computer print out of the wiring SPECIFICALLY for your year and make truck. You can do the install just using a test light to double check you have the correct wires. With no print out it's a little more complicated as you have to find the wires you need again just using a test light. The installs are very easy as long as theres no transponder encoded keys in the picture. For vehicles with transponder keys there are two ways around the problem, one uses a sw you hide with a key in it, the other which I prefer uses a relay which can be a little tricky to install. All remote starters are basically the same some have more features and greater distance.

Quick Reply: Remote Start