Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=30#76704 date=1039207347]<br><br><br>Briar Hopper has the Sachs in his truck and I read it held the 497HP you gave him with your injectors. He has the older 6 puck design with less clamp force than the newer ones do. I think he has had it for 2 years now. <br><br>Don~<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You haven't talked to Briar lately have you? <br><br>DB
Old 12-06-2002, 10:38 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He may have recently upgraded. I dont know. I knew he was going to try a COn Fe. He did use the Sachs for a few years though, towing, etc. He was around 400-450 I thought and this was with the older design Sachs.<br><br>Don~
Old 12-06-2002, 11:09 PM

These two clutch threads have been educating and entertaining. I'm personally glad that there are choices out there, because if all choices were left up to me nobody would be driving a Ford, and all the left wing liberals would be deported. Life would be boring then. This goes for clutches, too.<br><br>I'm running Joe's Sachs and, yes, I did have a failure early on. The hub was almost ripped out of the disk. A pie shaped portion of the disk flew out between the flywheel and pressure plate, and scraped a quarter inch deep grove 360* arround the bell housing. <br><br>Back when I purchased that clutch, there just weren't too many choices avialable for the 6 speed w/1 3/8&quot; shaft. Joe's clutch man looked all around for a 13&quot; disk with the 1 3/8&quot; sprung hub and I got the only thing he found. Mine was the first 6 ETH/DEE clutch Joe sold. Yes, I called South Bend - They didn't offer ANYTHING better than stock for my application back then. I called EVERYBODY, and the only choices avialable were the Sachs and a dual disk McLeod with an unsprung hub.<br><br>When the failure happened, the first thing I did was get Joe on the phone. The next day I recieved a whole new 5 speed clutch (with 1 3/8&quot; hubbed disk) and flywheel, which cost me nothing. It's the very same clutch Joe's been using for the past 2 years, except for the hub portion of the disk. That was a much better warranty than I would ever have got on a stock clutch. <br><br>I'm happy with what I've got now. It holds the power well (477 hp at May Madness 2002) and disengages cleanly. It chatters less than some South Bends I've driven, but also has a fairly stiff pedal, which I don't like.<br><br>I whole heartedly recommend either the Sachs or a South Bend to anyone looking at ugrading their clutch. This is in spite of the fact I'm on my second Sachs, that a local, well known, TDR member is on his 3rd or 4th (I lost track) South Bend, and that drawson is on his 2nd South Bend (if memory serves me right). Peter seems like a great guy (I met him once) and has a well deserved, excellent, reputation. Joe is a pioneer with the CTD clutch, who has certainly earned my admiration and respect. Both clutches have their strengths and weaknesses IMO. Just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:15 PM

Don, Bummer I was hoping to finially hook up with you and have some great diesel HP discussions. I know eventially we'll get together. Bart's was the clutch I saw but the guy changing it out told me it was the third one he had done with the same problem. They all could have been 6 speed clutchs I don't know?? But the bottom line is this I like you can remeber when 600 HP looked like the most we could get and drug where need to get it. And because of the guy like Piers, HVAC, and Joe D, and Companies like BullyDog , &amp; DD we are now knocking on 800 HP and next who knows it will be 1000 HP(I know Gene Mitchells are all ready there) will be the past the any clutch out there. But Great guys like Peter and to a much smaller extent Joe are trying to give us the best they can engineer. I'll bet 5 years ago Peter never even imagined have to come up with anything even close the holding power that he has now in his clutchs. <br><br>Now (Gene) Sled Puller said: &quot;becuase if Don ever gets some real power and actually applies it, We all know what is going to fail, but, I bet he won't tell us when it does..&quot; Just trying to bait Don some more!?!?!?!?!?!?!?<br><br> <br><br><br><br>
Old 12-07-2002, 12:42 AM

I would love to have a south bend clutch. The only reason I will not get one for my 94 ctd is because I want to pull at the county fairs around my place. Now if Peter makes a true pulling clutch I would be happy to get it. I would not but a SB clutch and think peter was going to give me a new one if I burn it up pulling when it was not mabe for it.The first thing I really need to do is find a larger imput shaft or a 6spd with the 1 3/8 shaft. I still can't believe it is 800 bucks for the shaft. If anybody knows of a imput shaft or tranny that is for sale at a really good price I would love to know. I heard of a place called Heartland clutch, what do they make and is there anything that they sell for my truck?
Thanks Aaron
Old 12-07-2002, 01:08 AM

Personally I frequent the BMD shop and consider myself good friends with briarhopper and son. He has never recommended anything but a southbend to me. But I don't want to pull either. I just want something that will hold what i have and a little more incase I decide to bomb a little more this spring. I just love showing those Nashville import boys whose boss.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:30 AM
DTR Advertiser

oldred97,<br><br>I hear ya on that. The SouthBend is the best dern clutch for the overwhelming majority of users at this time. With your OFE you will have minimal chatter and a very low pedal pressure. The Sachs is somewhat stiffer, but I guess I have been driving a stick so long I cant really tell myself. Maybe my new hydraulics helped some too. Although my wife mentioned the pedal pressure was stiffer to her. I dont like the idea of her drving around in 530plus HP truck anyway. Its just too mean for most drivers. So the stiffer clutch served its purpose, she no longer drives my truck ;D A good thing.<br><br>Don~
Old 12-07-2002, 12:51 PM

I guess I'm used to my stiff clutch because even though I'd like it softer, it does seem to match the personality of the engine.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:06 PM

On the other clutch thread I wanted to know the warrantys of all the clutches discussed. Seems to be to much fun slamming on that thread so maybe I can get the info in this one.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Banned

There is no factory warranty on the stock clutch. So you are asking a lot here.<br><br>I never discussed warranty. I highly doubt if there is a &quot;warranty&quot; on Mitchells, but if it did not do what they said it would, they will make it right.They are just that kind of people.<br><br>I know Peter has went out of his way to make things right with people--in many cases, when he should not have.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:25 PM

Peter, He's not only a clutch expert he's also an oil expert :'(
Old 12-08-2002, 01:57 AM
BFC

Hey guys,<br><br>get it through your heads.............high performance parts = &quot;I am my own warranty station&quot;. If the vendor want to go far and above the call of duty, good for them or us I should say.<br><br>Don't expect ANY warranty, you'll never be dissapointed. High performance(YES THAT'S WHAT BOMBING IS) and warranty do not go in the same sentence. You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's the way it goes.<br><br>Glenn<br>
Old 12-08-2002, 01:25 PM

I was curious because a few weeks ago when I asked about pulling, everybody said that SBC wouldnt warranty it. Well if I get mine in next weekend and the thing fails in a couple months I want somebody to say hey I will cover it. Obvisouly I wont be pulling a sled in the snow.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 PM

If they are as good as they say, then 400 hsp. will not affect that Con Fe.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding our warrenty,<br><br>We offer a 12 month or 12 thousand mile warrenty which ever comes first. We also offer labor of $200. This is to deffective parts (if we have done something wrong we take care of it). This does not apply to burning up a clutch. Buying the correct clutch to match the vehicle is very important. This means if you have 500hp don't buy a clutch that is rated for 400hp to save money and expect me to back it. Now, I don't care who's clutch is in the truck, give me one day and I can roast it. This does not apply and we can tell when this has been done.<br><br>We quite often warrenty at times when we probably sould not.<br>If someone comes in my shop and throws the clutch on the counter and says what a piece of crap...he will most likely have to pay double to get another one. If he comes in and asks me what happened in a calm tone or says &quot;what could be wrong with the clutch or darn it, when I was installing the clutch I didn't get it line up right and bent it&quot;, I will most likely give him a new one. If you treat me like a human, I will bend over backwards for you. If you treat me like an idiot I will do nothing for you. Will I worry about you bad mouthing me? No, because I am sure that you have treated your friends, your family and most everyone you have delt with this way and they won't listen anyway.<br><br>Peter

Quick Reply: A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch