Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Raising boost pressure - Any gain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raising boost pressure - Any gain?

I bought my truck with a #8 TST power kit installed which includes the boost elbow for 30 lbs. boost. I've since gone to the #4 TST plate, and am wondering if there is any point in increasing the boost beyond the point it's at already.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Chapter President

Re:Raising boost pressure - Any gain?

Your elbow is probley good enough. What are your boost numers? If you tow a lot, I would try these guys:

www.turbo-master.com

When you go to bigger injectors, get a bigger turbo. When you go to even bigger injectors, get twins. Trust me, you will ;D. Continue till you go broke ;D
Old 09-15-2003, 03:17 PM
RCW

The only reliable way to know if you have enough boost or not is to read the exhaust gas temperatures, the color of your smoke, and how much torque the engine is laying to the rear wheels.

The boost tends to self-regulate. Too much and the fire will blow out, and too little and your EGT will be low and you will have black or dirty smoke. If you can keep your truck right in the 1,200 degree range (pre-turbo) on the EGT at full throttle and full load, you will be about right.

Just off the cuff, I would think your 96 is probably just fine with the current elbow. That is, unless you have swapped out the delivery valves and injectors for something bigger than the 96's came with.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 PM

Then 96 stick has plenty of d valves and inj's
the 96 auto could use a little more inj.though.
In 96~97~98 12 valves the stock boost was 23 lbs.
Which is the highest to date stock.

It will really turn on at 34 lbs.

Check my sig. ;D

: Eddie : 8)
Old 09-15-2003, 07:56 PM

Bulthisl-

It sounds like we've got pretty much the same truck 'cept for the tranny and stacks. Have you ever gotten any staight answers out of TST regarding the HP/TQ specs for that #4 plate?

I called them and got a big "I don't know" which kinda surprises me considering they make it....

What does everyone think of this Turbo-Master device, and what EXACTLY does it do, and how will I know it's doing it?

I really am not sure what it is...

Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Chapter President

Here is the article that the DTR wrote on the turbo master

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rbomaster.html
Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 AM

I haven't even tried to talk to TST.
All I know is I was runnin a #5 plate and switched to a #4 and there's a lot of diff.
I'm waiting on some 370's and some more air now. ;D

But I've got to keep it workable.
I haul alot of equip with mine for farm use.

: Eddie : 8)
Old 09-18-2003, 08:21 PM

I basically turned my truck way up this spring. Towed with it heavy quite a bit since then, trips to Montana with my camper, towing my parents travel trailer at the same time. Ran into a few times where I had to back out of it drastically because of egts. The Piers HX40 was set at 30psi during this time. After a little research, I basically plugged the wastegate in a cheapo manner just to test the difference. Let me tell you, it was VAST. Seeing 40+ psi instead of 30 made an ENORMOUS difference on egts. Now unless you lug it, you can't get it over 1250. Also noticed the turbo spools up much quicker, so the wastegate must start to open much sooner than "set" psi. Don't know if that's true, but it sure feels like it. It was already a rocket, but now it is just a towing beast. Never dyno'd but had somebody with the same setup say they were around 370 horse, 1069 torque. Oh yeah, get the 10 plate, even for an auto. It is shaped like a C. Much better for towing/low rpm power, then feathers back as the egts get hot. That is what Piers recommended, and I can vouch for it. jc
Old 09-21-2003, 06:22 AM

What kind of power loss am I going to have if I swap out my #4 plate for the #10 plate? I know that a lot of the big power guys are running the #10, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... If the power increases as the number goes down, wouldn't a #4 be more?
I don't know, but I am not all that pleased with my #4 anyway. It seems like it makes great power once the torque converter locks at 50 mph, but from 0-50 it's pretty much the same dog as always... I'd be happier with a bit more power in the low to mid range and lower egt's, even if it cost me a bit of power up top....

I guess I just want everything out of this truck....