Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Propane setup

Old 11-03-2002, 09:19 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Propane setup

To put it in simple terms, and really thats all I can do, propane has a lower flash point than diesel. Injecting some propane into the mix will start the fire earlier, as such, igniting the diesel earlier and allowing more thorough combustion. And voila, more power from an equal amount of diesel.<br><br>I personally don't like propane. The EGT decreases that companies advertise are at cruise, not WOT. At cruise, you are able to back off on the throttle a bit, hence reducing fueling, and reducing EGTs. However, under WOT, temps inside the cylinder increase significantly. Also, with the ATS and Bully Dog systems that I'm familiar with, you will get an EGT spike when the first hit of propane comes on, until you back down on the throttle. I'm not sure if a proportional system would reduce this spike, and I suspect there is someone on the forum who has a much better understanding than I.<br><br>My own thoughts though: If you're gonna use a drug, go for the gusto and use nitrous ;D<br><br>Rod
Old 11-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Propane setup

I have nothing against propane, but I've been around nitrous a lot longer and I know more about it and I understandit better, so I just feel safer with it. Plus, I don't know if propane has all the safety features nitrous does. RPM switches, low FP cutoff switch, stuff like that.