Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Plow Blades

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plow Blades

Anybody out there running with a plow blade? Or any experiences, reccomendations etc. Looking at a Meyer 7.5' blade. Open to suggestions etc. <br><br>Thanks guys. (Gotta do something with all this snow now that it finally arrived! )
Old 01-28-2003, 12:50 PM

Re:Plow Blades

If I were you I would go with an 8Ft Fisher Min. mount plow very good quality you will pay a little more but it's worth it! about $3300. installed <br><br>DRecu!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:18 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

The BOSS I was looking at is very rugged (and expensive), looked to have the easiest &quot;quick release&quot;.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:55 PM

I used to run a commercial plowing business about ten years ago.(sure am glad I am out of it) We would run Fisher blades exclusively because they were the most rugged (fewer problems). We hardly ever had problems except sometime welds would break and having trip springs pop out. These are pretty much normal with the amount of use they saw. However because they are so solid they seemed to transfer a lot of the impact back to the trucks. We would hire subcontractors some of who had Meyers and although the blades didn't hold up as well the trucks seemed to hold up better. Don't know about Boss, it wasn't around then.<br>General rule of thumb;<br>1/2 ton 7-71/2 ft<br>3/4 ton 8 ft<br>3/4 ton 8-9 ft<br>hope this helps<br>Tim
Old 01-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Ken

I currently run a snow removel business. I run a Western 8.5' MVP (V-Plow). I've plowed for years with a str8 blade and I will never go back to one, infact as I replace the blades on my fleet I will be switching them over to a V-Plow. V-plows are 20% more effeicent and the clean up is time amazing. I pay my subs with V-plows more money too. I would feel that I'd be doing you wrong by suggesting any other type plow, however if you must go with a str8 blade look into getting some wings for it. Happy plowing
Old 01-28-2003, 06:11 PM

I would also recommend the 8ft if you can. Snow won't build up under the front as much. Haven't had to use mine much at all this winter but it's been snowing today. Out for some fun tonight.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:54 AM

I think a 7.5' may be a bit small for the truck. With the blade at full angle you'll probably be riding over the runoff. Of course an 8' is a bit wide if your just looking to clean a few narrow driveways.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:59 PM

I've got the Boss 8'2&quot; V-plow on mine, however, it has hardly snowed in these parts since I bought the truck last February, so I couldn't comment as to it's performance just yet.<br><br>The little I've used it, I find the scoop very helpful in moving snow where you want it and the ability to stack it.<br><br>If you want more info, go to www.plowsite.com There is even a Dodge truck specific category on their forums.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like 8' is the way to go and glad that I don't &quot;need&quot; it right away. The V-plows sure sound like a worthwile investment too. Decisions, decisions, decisions <br><br>(the best part about all this is that it was the better halfs idea to look at this! ;D)
Old 01-29-2003, 03:18 PM

arctic 8'6&quot; all the way baby in canada!
Old 02-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Well, after much review and consternation (and now that we'll probably never see another snowflake as long as I live ) we've decided to go with the Western 8.5' V-plow. Seems to be a really good setup and gonna be paying 6,995 Canuck bucks for it. That's about a grand less than I was expecting (let's see ... works out to about 4500 Ameri-bucks!) <br><br>Let it snow let it snow ........
Old 02-06-2003, 02:05 PM

I'd stay aways from v blades we do alot of plowing in winter and all who run em have probs breaking stuff. The new arctics are so strong and with the new flaps for the sides you can't go wrong!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new trend of V blade are noticably quicker for parking lot and clean up which is where most people make their living. For us we use straight blades for high speed plowing of county and oil company lease roads, the V blade is a more complicated design and more parts equals more prone to failure. I have an 8' Arctic Poly and it is very heavy and well built, down side is poor customer communication and dealer network. PK
Old 02-08-2003, 09:32 AM

Run 2 8'-2&quot; Boss V-Plows and would never do a straight blade again, much nicer to plow with. They aren't so big a clumsy to drive around with when they are V'd back either.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:56 PM

The order is in and it's being installed on thrusday ... too bad it wasn't this past thursday 'cuz it's comming down now! <br><br>Oh well, the way I figure, after next friday eEdmonton won't see another snowflake for a few years with my luck! :<br><br>Looking forward to the first run with it though.

Quick Reply: Plow Blades