Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Performance Parts for 2001 Ram 2500

Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Parts for 2001 Ram 2500

I just recently bought a 2001 Ram 2500 QC/LB and I'm wondering what type of modifications I could do to get the best bang for my buck.

The truck is an automatic so I'm not really looking to push huge numbers so I don't burn up my stock tranny. I like to think I drive my truck rather easily (never really go above 1/2 throttle) but I do occasionally like to get on it.

I've done some reading on here and found out a couple things I should do to prep the truck for mods. If I do a programmer, I'm definitely going to add a FASS 95 or 150 before so I don't take a chance on creating critically low fuel pressure. I also know that since it's an automatic that it won't take too much without being reinforced but I don't know 100% exactly what should be done to reinforce it (TC? Valve body? Individual clutches?).

I do plan on doing at least a cold air intake (I have an AFE Stage 2 Sealed Intake picked out, just waiting to purchase) and larger exhaust (looking at MBRP 5" w/o muffler or Flo~Pro 5" w/o muffler). As I mentioned above, I might look into adding an Edge Juice w/ Attitude CTS (mainly for the gauges) only after upgrading the lift pump/fuel system.

I plan on doing some towing with the truck (probably no more than 10,000lbs. on rare occasions, usually more around 2000-5000lbs.) but it's mainly just a daily driver.

I'm wanting to safely make around 280-310hp just to add a little more fun to the truck but nothing excessive. What are some modifications that you all recommend and which brands of each are the best?

Thank you for helping me out!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM

My 95 ran 322 on the dyno a few years back. I have install a single disk billet low stall TC and that was really needed to hold the power. My tranny is stock except for a pump pressure mod and shift kit. you should have gauges when you start giving the truck more fuel. to easy to burn a piston with out gauges. I tow 10500 fiver and a dump trailer with 4 yards of ground and have not had a problem. every 30thousand mile I replace the filter in the trans and add new fluid. I checked band adjustment last year with a TW and never had a band that needed adjustment. So i must be doing something right lol.
On the 5" exhaust is really not needed for a truck running under 500 hp. the turbo down pipe is small and that is a restriction that 5" pipe will not fix. I run MBRP 4" duals and I don`t think I need that with the HP I`am running. Have fun .
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Don T
My 95 ran 322 on the dyno a few years back. I have install a single disk billet low stall TC and that was really needed to hold the power. My tranny is stock except for a pump pressure mod and shift kit. you should have gauges when you start giving the truck more fuel. to easy to burn a piston with out gauges. I tow 10500 fiver and a dump trailer with 4 yards of ground and have not had a problem. every 30thousand mile I replace the filter in the trans and add new fluid. I checked band adjustment last year with a TW and never had a band that needed adjustment. So i must be doing something right lol.
On the 5" exhaust is really not needed for a truck running under 500 hp. the turbo down pipe is small and that is a restriction that 5" pipe will not fix. I run MBRP 4" duals and I don`t think I need that with the HP I`am running. Have fun .
I will take that into consideration. I plan on adding at least trans temp, pyro, and fuel pressure gauges but I would also like to buy a boost gauge (I don't know if they make a 4 gauge pillar pod) just to monitor everything.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM

1. Gauges (if done as a programmer leave it turned down until #2)
2. Trans - with mild power a billet TC and shift kit should hold you - but if you turn an Edge all the way up - you may have an issue.
3. Add power as needed - this is a slippery slope but I stopped when I started overwhelming my turbo - so it is mild - but I never wanted to tough the tranny again so I put in a whole Goerend.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 PM

He said (I'm not really looking to push huge numbers )

Lets see if he still thinks this way in 6months.
Good luck with that.
As everyone else has said

Add gauges then do transmission before any power adders it's not the fun way but it is the smart way.

No one has pointed out that you should add an after market lift pump before adding performance parts or did I miss it.